Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Late Pacs

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Looks like he may have turned back for the Gate about 45 min ago... or maybe just beating around to rack up (nautical) miles?

At about 6:45 yest PM, I just decided I did not want to be out there overnight, so I turned around and headed back.

The scopolamine helped with the sea sickness, although, it is difficult to maintain it stuck to my head, so I stuck it to my belly, under a couple bandaids. Definitely feel the dry mouth and blurry vision.

Late afternoon, the wind picked up to high teens, and there was plenty of spray and splashing water up on deck, so I went below, it was very loud, wore ear plugs, got sick again. The weather window is probably ideal right now, but I just didn't feel like staying out overnight.

The weather was low clouds with visibility of a mile or less. There was fairly dense fog near the golden gate both ways. A tug boat, towing a barge, called me, by boat name, to let me know a couple ships were outbound and that he would be turning to port soon. We were only 0.4 nm apart, similar course, and I could not see any sign of the tug or barge.

Thanks to all those who sent me messages. Particularly Jackie, with "remember to throw up to leeward."

Todd, I see from your registration that you have significant years of experience offshore. Windtrip Infinity has a Class B Transmit and Receive AIS. And yet you couldn't identify the tug in dense fog. That would be a heart stopper for me. We all watched your progress online and I'm sure I speak for others who were sorry to see you turn north and then east. But again, tugs in dense fog. Big ships passing in the night. Or not. Thanks for checking in here. Every bit shared is something learned by others.

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    For next time, I will:
    [...]
    Try 1/2 scopolamine patch. The side effects can include, "confusion, agitation, extreme fear, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior". I already know I will hallucinate, I did this time, so I do not want to further encourage this. I may just do a day trip out to the Gulf of the Farallones on the medication, me in and out of the cabin, testing things out.
    FWIW, I've heard warnings about cutting a Scop patch in half. Apparently the medication can escape via the cut edge and give you quick and strong dose, rather than the regular time-release. This may be an urban legend or something, but you might look into it before trying this at sea.

Have you tried Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine (same thing)? I've been advised to start taking the seasick meds a couple of days before heading out. Bonine and an early start do work for me -- by the time I'm sailing I've acclimatized to the side-effects, and I'm not gettting seasick (as I often do without the meds).

Todd, You might try sturgeron. And if you need anything please let me know. Best, John

Thanks Paul- I did decide that cutting the scopolamine patch was not the thing to do. I put sunscreen on, after the patch, and that removed one patch, and another subsequent. Yes, I will try bonine next time, generic name is meclizine. Agree with starting before the trip.

Jackie- thanks for your support and encouragement. I was a little disappointed in myself, and I told my daughter, 12 yo, and she said, "Why be disappointed? It's supposed to be fun, and you weren't having fun. It's a hobby, for you at least." She could have left off the "for you at least", but she knows she is looking at a weekend hacker, as far as my sailing ability is concerned.

I did not want to leave anyone with the wrong impression RE the tug towing barge. He and I were on the same course and close to each other from the light ship, all the way down the shipping channel, nearly the same speed. I stayed to the right side of the channel, to avoid outbound traffic, and I knew he was a tug towing a barge, approx 0.4 nm away. I was able to see him on the AIS, including his speed, heading, bearing, etc. I just meant I could not see any sign of his lights. It was cool of him to call me to tell me there were two tankers outbound and he would be turning to port shortly, as this would bring us closer together, and I did not know how far back his barge was. My AIS transmitter allowed him to know I was the sailboat Windtrip Infinity. I had heard, in the past, that tug boat operators do not like to talk to recreational boaters. I wish I had thought to ask him if he saw me on his radar. I had radar reflector up.