Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Pacs

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    Someone, presumably after reading my tale of woe, sent me a Scopolamine patch in an unmarked envelope, so thanks for that, whoever you are. I will try it out.

Todd

Cool, I hear Oxycontin is a great seasickness cure and I'd like to give that a try sometime.

I think I read something about cutting a Scopolamine patch in two in an earlier post? Back when Scopolamine patches were new, I used them for a Metropolitan YC Coastal Cup. Because I was cheap, I tried cutting them in half so the supply would last longer - my insurance didn't cover their cost - and they were expensive. One of my crew on that trip to Catalina was a sports doc. He cautioned me that the dose was metered by the patch's liner and that breaking (cutting) that liner fouled up the metering. He said I could get a heavier dose than was planned or that it might allow the medicine to evaporate without doing its job. I'd suggest checking with someone medical about the wisdom of cutting into the patch. You might also ask Ms.Mr. Anonymous about the patch's age and expiration date. I'm an English major, not a Medical major, so this is all 2nd hand info. Pat B.

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    Someone, presumably after reading my tale of woe, sent me a Scopolamine patch in an unmarked envelope, so thanks for that, whoever you are. I will try it out.

Todd
    This doesn't work for everyone, but I've found a very simple solution. I take Dramamine 2 nights before leaving the dock, sleep like a baby, then I take it again the night before, and sleep like a baby again. By the time I leave the dock I have plenty in my system and I'm over the drowsiness. Ready to rock! The side benefit of sleeping great the 2 nights leading up the big day is reason enough to follow this plan as my mind starts working in overdrive pre-race and I normally don't sleep for crap.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

There is a very effective sea-sickness medicine called Stugeron (15mg). It can even work after you have become sick as long as you don't throw it up :-). The catch is that it has not been available in the US and it used to require a prescription. My wife is a physician and brought some from Holland. It looks like it is now available from Canada without prescription. (canadadrugs.com and probably other places). There don't seem to be any major side effects like patches.

Cheers,
    -jak

Quote Originally Posted by jakmang View Post
    There is a very effective sea-sickness medicine called Stugeron (15mg). Cheers, -jak
    Stugeron can be purchased via ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Stugeron can be purchased via ebay.
    Buying drugs on eBay sounds just one small step away from a little plastic bag and a street corner. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    Buying drugs on eBay sounds just one small step away from a little plastic bag and a street corner. I love it.
    When I was at Cal I lived in a big Edwardian house painted pink. The Pink Palace, we called it. Two of my roommates were graduate students in chemical engineering. The entire attic was full of hamster cages and black lights. No rodents in sight. And the ingredients for the good stuff was brought from the office. Put new meaning into: "Don't leave home without it." Ebay? Child's play.

Reason #12 why I chose Cal-State Hayward instead. I've been boring ever since.

Anyone going out to 126 40 this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Reason #12 why I chose Cal-State Hayward instead. I've been boring ever since.

Anyone going out to 126 40 this weekend?

Planning for it around April 22nd...
    Cheers,
    Gregory

I might go on Thursday, or otherwise next week.

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK