Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Pacs

Do you late Pac buglighters intend to stay in touch with the Transpac Race Committee while you are out there? Or will you communicate via your delormes? If you choose to do that, we could post your whereabouts and other bits on this forum. That would be good practice for those of us who plan to greet you in Hanalei Bay. It would also offer the General the opportunity to maintain some discipline remotely. If you plan to just be stoical and act like people with bad hygiene, that's certainly your decision.

"What happens in the ocean..."

And just to clarify, you don't actually have to visit 126 40. You could go out 100 nm, sail in circles for a couple hundred more, then sail back in. Whatever floats your boat - because floating your boat is better than the alternative.

I too am considering April 6, 7... next week although the winds are predicted to be light.

How is the LatePac documented to the RC? GPS track, log or both?

I am hoping to leave the 6th and will post a link to my Delorme.

Smokester, what forecast are you looking at? Both the CMC and GFS (via PredictWind) are forecasting 20-30 starting mid-day Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by bizirka View Post
    ...Smokester, what forecast are you looking at? Both the CMC and GFS (via PredictWind) are forecasting 20-30 starting mid-day Tuesday.
    I am using PredictWind Pro with Departure Planning and Weather Routing. Tue April 5 starts off with 20-30 kn through the morning of the 6th and tapers off to 5 to 15kn late in the afternoon/evening (of the 6th) and for the rest of a round trip to Longitude 126 40. This is a little far out in time but is reasonably consistent across all four models.

Models in image are: PWG = Blue; PWC = Red; GFS = Green; CMC = Yellow
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks! I am also using the pro version. Looks like the weather routing forecasts out further than the wind map. Just curious what are you using for your Latitude - have you played with it much?

Quote Originally Posted by bizirka View Post
    Thanks! I am also using the pro version. Looks like the weather routing forecasts out further than the wind map. Just curious what are you using for your Latitude - have you played with it much?
    Start and finish are 37 47.184n 122 33.174w which is roughly at the GG end of the SF Channel...A few miles west of the Pt Bonita/Mile Rocks demarcation line. Turn around point for this calculation is 37 19.998n 126 40.002w which is slightly south in latitude from the start/finish. When it is closer I will probably do runs varying the turnaround. Also, since there is no reason to go to 126 40w, one can easily go where the wind blows once 100 nm offshore to get 400 nm total as quickly as possible. There is a 0.3 to 1 kt current predicted to flow in varying directions (not just north to south).

That's a good way not to spend money at the boat show !

Quote Originally Posted by jakmang View Post
    There is a very effective sea-sickness medicine called Stugeron (15mg).
    I followed an intensive daily regimen of Stoogeron between the ages of 8 and 14, with occasional boosters since, and it's been perfectly effective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb6tWYjyMR8

That's awesome.