Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Sail Down to Sequoia Yacht Club

Tiger Beetle will be in attendance. And it turns out we have the food, too. Ice box is stuffed full after Kristen's visit to Jetro ('Where Restaurants Shop'), plus I understand that Black Cat will also be making an appearance.

Max - do you want a ride down and a place to crash for the night? We got one!

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Not looking so good for Iniscaw after all: the MD7A's enthusiasm for cooling is on the wane again. I'm going to be pulling the mixing elbow off and poking at its innards. Maybe I'll walk out to the end of the South Beach breakwater at noon and wave my greasy hands at you all. I should be able to drive in to Sequoia anyway.
    We will welcome your greasy hands, Max! I remember when both Iniskaw and DM were both having cooling issues. Back then it was a blocked exhaust system for both of them. If Iniscaw is blocked again that is a wake up call for DM. For us it was years of built-up junk inside the Universal diesel M15. Is the MD74 raw water cooled?

Great to hear that you and Kristen will be coming, Rob! Especially since you have refrigeration. DM's uninsulated cooler is next to the engine and melts any ice lickety split. Thank you for that! See you on G dock in the morning.
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Not looking so good for Iniscaw after all: the MD7A's enthusiasm for cooling is on the wane again. I'm going to be pulling the mixing elbow off and poking at its innards. Maybe I'll walk out to the end of the South Beach breakwater at noon and wave my greasy hands at you all. I should be able to drive in to Sequoia anyway.
    The 2016 November/December issue of Good Old Boat has a great article about building your own DIY exhaust elbow out standard readily available parts, for about $95.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    The 2016 November/December issue of Good Old Boat has a great article about building your own DIY exhaust elbow out standard readily available parts, for about $95.
    I'm looking at a Good Old Boat here on my desk from March/April 2013. Is that really the last copy I bought? That's a terrific magazine. Thanks for reminding me of its usefulness.

Rags' exhaust elbow is polished 316 stainless because... well... just because.

Attachment 1931

Good God, you could do surgery on that thing. Do you have an engine cleaning munchkin trapped down there?

It's only 23 years old - don't all engines look like that?

I know a bunch of people missed a really good time!

Conditions for the sail-down looked pretty light as we motored out of Marina Bay Yacht Harbor.
    Although, as we approached The City, the fog line rolled across the bay, the breeze filled in, and everyone had a pleasant sail all the way to Sequoia Yacht Club.

Snacks and refreshments were shared before moving to the deck to grill some burgers and dogs. After a postponement due to a recalcitrant BBQ, the main grill cleared and we started cooking.
    We shared the evening with a retirement party. A flight attendant with 52 years in the air. They were restricted to the dining room while we enjoyed the deck.

Green Buffalo, with 4 aboard, won the prize for most crew. Tiger Beetle brought provisions. Nightmare sailed furthest. Cloud brought the oldest hat. Crane Wife arrived solo.
    Dura Mater brought prizes Iniscaw, Domino, and Red Sky arrived by land skiff. Iniscaw had the oldest shirt, which really isn't as bad as it sounds!

Good conversation wound the evening down and we hit the rack around 2100, just before the band started. Thank you ear plugs!

Sunday, after breakfast, we helped clean up from the night before so the next event could be held.

Returning home saw us mostly motor-sailing. Finally got the jib up between Treasure Island and Angel Island for a short reprieve from the drone off the outboard.!

Thank You !!! Jackie for putting this together!
    Sequoia Yacht Club for hosting us!
    Scott and Andrew our hosts
    Andrew for breakfast!!

The City skyline as we headed South to Hunters.

Name:  IMG_1928.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  435.9 KB

My lovely wife at the helm as we motor-sailed home.

Name:  IMG_1942.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  458.3 KB

Tiger Beetle flying a kite!

Name:  IMG_1939.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  523.6 KB
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-07-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: who's Kevin?
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Who came? New member, Evan Lyons of Crane Wife, a 32' Fuji Ketch. Very lovely boat, very nice man. Max Crittenden, Brian Boschma and David Herrigel drove over for afternoon chatting and dinner. Thank you to Kristen for buying all the food for dinner, and schlepping it down aboard Tiger Beetle. In case you think that vessel is only a pretty face, she also has refrigeration. And everything else, of course.

Sequoia member Andrew Rist woke early, brought bacon, sausage, eggs and toast early Sunday morning and we cooked it all up. It was an SSS style event: Rob McFarlane removed the toast from the oven, Kristen buttered it, Andrew tended the bacon until it was perfect, Greg set the table, Patch provided extra, very strong coffee (thanks for that!) and persimmons, Mary Lovely provided big yummy muffins, Greg's wife Tisha cut up pears (from their property in God's country) and rinsed the dishes. We all cleaned up.

Mike and Cindi Meloy were there on Even Keel. Dura Mater was in attendance. Tom and Sue on Cloud left early after eating bacon and eggs aboard Cloud, a fully provisioned yacht :-) , Tony Bourque (he of Patch fame) and Jim Quanci (he of Mary Lovely fame) also helped eat all the food. Then we were off, all by approximately 9:30 am.

11.06.16 Sequoia Yacht Club Harbor 6:45 am
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jackie,
    Thanks so much for organizing, promoting and shepherding the sail-down (cruise-in/out) to Sequoia YC. It wouldn't have happened without you. We had much better than forecast sailing conditions on Saturday, I'm not sure how you managed that... what, special powers?

For those that missed this, Saturday night was much like the evenings at HMBYC or VYC (after the 1), but with the addition of family, SSS friends and potential future racers. We may not be "a yacht club," but we have a common bond based on our experiences, and it's really nice to have an opportunity to gather together and share stories.

I regret that we on CLOUD needed to leave early on Sunday to get back for another event. I'm sure we would have continued to enjoy the camaraderie over breakfast. As it was, our early departure provided ebb until near the Bay Bridge and flood north of the bridge all the way to Richmond for a relatively quick trip to Brickyard Cove.

Tom & Sue
    CLOUD