Thread: Corinthian Protest Decisions Posted

Default Corinthian Protest Decisions Posted

The Final Corinthian Fleets Results have been posted on Jibeset along with the results of the 5 pending protests https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...DOC=X3&TYP=pdf .

The protests were intertwined in a combination of incidents at Blossom Rock. In discussions with the Protest Committee, and because of the high Corinthian Spirit of the racers involved, I would like to open a conversation of the events at Blossom Rock.

I do this to not only understand the complexity of the incident at Blossom Rock, but also as your race chair to review our starting sequence as well as any other issue that may have contributed to this incident…Rick

Default Corinthian Race Shirts

Seriously though...

Chris Harvey's video in the "Corinthian Race Buzz" thread revealed most of the problem. He was in the first start and got launched, but because of the light wind and holes around Blossom Rock buoy a lot of boats caught up to him (check the video at 3:00). As the westerly filled, more joined the pile until it reached 50-60 boats trying to get around Blossom. Changing the starting order wouldn't have helped much in this case. However it has mattered in other races. I think for the SSS Bay races the R/C should have the faster boats (not just the multihulls) start ahead of the slower boats to spread things out. Or better yet, let the singlehanders start last. It's getting pretty tough to be a singlehander in these huge fleets.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-04-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Seriously though...

Chris Harvey's video in the "Corinthian Race Buzz" thread revealed most of the problem. He was in the first start and got launched, but because of the light wind and holes around Blossom Rock buoy a lot of boats caught up to him (check the video at 3:00). As the westerly filled, more joined the pile until it reached 50-60 boats trying to get around Blossom. Changing the starting order wouldn't have helped much in this case. However it has mattered in other races. I think for the SSS Bay races the R/C should have the faster boats (not just the multihulls) start ahead of the slower boats to spread things out. Or better yet, let the singlehanders start last. It's getting pretty tough to be a singlehander in these huge fleets.
    I would definitely favor a separate (later) start for the single handed boats....

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It's getting pretty tough to be a singlehander in these huge fleets.
    My poor boat's broke at this particular moment in time, but I'd like to see the Singlehanded Sailing Society host more singlehanded races. Or as Brian Boschma refers to it: solo sailing.

+1 more for a separate "solo" start... the primary reason I dropped out of this race was my rapidly dropping fun factor after the 4th "adjustment" required to avoid double handed competitors. NB: I did not necessarily have the right of way in all cases, and I am not complaining about specific incidents; merely belaboring the somewhat obvious point that the challenges of single handed boat handling are amplified in high volume "mixed company" fleets.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    My poor boat's broke at this particular moment in time, but I'd like to see the Singlehanded Sailing Society host more singlehanded races. Or as Brian Boschma refers to it: solo sailing.
    Watt hobbin'd to yer boat?

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Watt hobbin'd to yer boat?
    always something with her inboard. sigh.

The stack-up at Blossom Rock was due to the way the wind filled from the back of the fleet and the ebb holding boats from getting around the mark. However, changes in the starting order should be made.
    In general, the faster boats should start first and the slowest boats should start last. Single handed boats should have their own start later in the sequence. This would somewhat keep the racetrack in better order and keep the faster boats from having to play through the slower boats.
    Here is a suggested sequence: multi hulls, phrf <108, sportboats and E27's, phrf 111-159, phrf >162, single handed. SDK

The stack-up at Blossom Rock was due to the way the wind filled from the back of the fleet and the ebb holding boats from getting around the mark. However, changes in the starting order should be made.
    In general, the faster boats should start first and the slowest boats should start last. Single handed boats should have their own start later in the sequence. This would somewhat keep the racetrack in better order and keep the faster boats from having to play through the slower boats.
    Here is a suggested sequence: multi hulls, phrf <108, sportboats and E27's, phrf 111-159, phrf >162, single handed. SDK