Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Transpac Cruise-In to Oakland Yacht Club guest dock

I would definitely like to participate in a VHF radio test, assuming my mast is back on. I upgraded to LMR 400 UF and tested it during the installation. It seems solid (yea, Mike J helped so I feel pretty confident about those soldered PL 259 connectors, too). I still need to run new cable to the nav station.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    This could be a chance to do the VHF radio testing, which had been proposed some months ago but only one or two people expressed interest.

What would be needed is

1. A bunch of boats docked/anchored fairly close together, with someone aboard to operate the radio(s)

2. A person to sit with the receiver at least a couple of hundred yards away. They would need maybe a table and 120VAC power.

3. Coordination

There have been hundreds of thousands of computer keystrokes expended on discussions of what constitutes a good radio installation; here is a chance to get some real data on real boats of our fleet.

The original thread proposing the test is here: http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ntenna-testing
    Here is the first post from that thread:
    Great idea to do that on Saturday! I'm in..

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

count me in for the radio test...
    I imagine the balcony set up for the OYC race deck would be a place to start for the base station, unless that is too close?
    DH

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The idea is to get far enough away so that the distances between the boats is dwarfed by the range. I will see if I can use the office at Grand Marina. You would also need to be many many wavelengths away to avoid near field effects, 150MHz wavelength is about 2 meters, so doing a test in the lab like in the picture is not very valid.

Since I really want to know the performance of my own boat, I would ask for a helper to either conduct the measurement (prior experience with an RF spectrum analyzer would be needed) or for someone to operate the radio on my boat while I'm taking the data...

The results will be relative only. So if say, Mouton Noir has a carrier signal strength of -18 dBm or whatever and he is the best, then the others might said to have a signal power of MN - 4 dB or whatever they are. I hope there is no racing going on on Ch 69 or 72, as will will be hogging the frequency for a while...

UPDATE

2016 Transpac sailors are invited to sail in to the Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock on Saturday April 16 and stay overnight until Sunday April 17.

Just a heads up: A number of people have asked whether they can sail their own boats over to the Oakland Yacht Club even if they are not doing the Transpac this year. While that sounds like A LOT OF FUN, space is limited and it would not be good if 2016 Transpac sailors arrive to find a festive atmosphere but no room for their boats.

So please, consider leaving your own boat in its slip then drive or walk over to the Oakland Yacht Club’s guest dock. Should be fun.

Here is the plan SH OYRA lightship then going all the way to Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock. See you all there!

I am proposing a new race, and we need a trophy ready at the cruise in: Fastest elapsed time from the finish of the DH Lightship to the guest dock at OYC.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I am proposing a new race, and we need a trophy ready at the cruise in: Fastest elapsed time from the finish of the DH Lightship to the guest dock at OYC.
    Of course! And we need music. Who has external or bluetooth speakers?

I may be at Marina Village for some period this weekend and might enjoy looky-looing at all the SHTP boats, and their bug-lit captains, and maybe participating/helping with any VHF testing. If any loosely formalized schedule develops, might be neat to see it communicated here or elsewhere (with that elsewhere being communicated here).
    Last edited by Lanikai; 04-15-2016 at 11:10 AM.

When the Race Kahuna talks, everybody listens. Except for Jonathan.

Jonathan eats his tater-tots. As they say, "More to come."

Attachment 1464