Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Transpac Cruise-In to Oakland Yacht Club guest dock

Default 2016 Transpac Cruise-In to Oakland Yacht Club guest dock

What is the 2016 Transpac Cruise-In?
    Brian Boschma describes it as a “Meet and Greet”.

2016 Transpac sailors are invited to sail in with their boats to the Oakland Yacht Club Guest dock on Saturday April 16 and stay overnight until Sunday April 17.

This is the 20th Biennial Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. Members of the Singlehanded Sailing Society are invited to join this year’s crop of singlehanded sailors who are preparing to cross the Pacific Ocean from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay in small boats. Who does that? Crazies, huh?

Maybe you are interested in coming to see what a true seaworthy boat looks like. Maybe you just want to come on over to share the excitement of the preparation.

And maybe, just maybe you are a Buglighter yourself who is willing to offer advice or assistance. Well, your experience and advice is welcome, so please join us!

Questions? Post here or email
    Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

If my boat is out of the boat yard, and the mast installed, and the sails hanked on again, and I have any time left before I leave for the Philippines on the 18th, then I'll plan to cruise over, BUT I am definitely not going to make the TransPac this year. No way I can finish all the work on the boat. I also took on another client who expects me to actually do work for them and not sail away for weeks at a time...sheez.

So this is my official drop out notice. I'm bummed, but now I know what needs to done for 2018!

So, the 16th is also the OYRA Lightship race.

I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018.

Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?

Should be fun !!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 04-07-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: not going to Duxbury

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    So, the 16th is also the OYRA Duxbury / Lightship race.

I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018.

Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?

Should be fun !!
    Hi Greg -
    Saturday the 16th is just the lightbucket, though you're welcome to visit Dux on the way
    I'm also heading out and back that day as well, so I'll be late for the dance at OAKLAND YC, but I'll be there.
    don't thinks we need reservations...
    DH

I will be there and will be lobbying for a new SHTP trophy called

"The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy"

alternatively and less impressively "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually tried to make it to Hawaii trophy"

Lest you think this implies a excessive tolerance of risk, I am headed into the yard after the cruise in to have all sorts of important crap accomplished on my boat. So when you see me on Saturday please do not think "he's actually going to try to sail that heap to Hawaii?".

I have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    So, the 16th is also the OYRA Duxbury / Lightship race. I am doing the race and would like to attend the cruise as well to check out the Buglighter's setups, since I am planning for 2018. Do I need to make reservations with EncinalYC ?, Is there valet parking?, Do I need to bring a dish to share ?
    Should be fun !!
    Greg, what good questions. We have been invited to stay at the Oakland Yacht Club, not the Encinal. The Encinal is hosting 200+ youth sailors on April 16, so when you sail down the estuary you will see hundreds of children on boats. Don’t go there.

The Oakland Yacht Club is just before Encinal. Its 160’ long Guest Dock is between gates 2 and 3.

Will there be valet parking? Hehe. That’s a good one.

Should you bring a dish to share? I thought you were coming from the Lightship Race. What will that dish look like after a long day offshore on Nightmare? What will it taste like?

The Oakland Yacht Club has been good to us. Its members host our Skippers’ meetings, our Awards Ceremonies and our Transpac Seminars. We have been invited to stay overnight at its large guest dock gratis. That means we don’t have to pay for the privilege. In return, please consider eating at the Oakland Yacht Club while you are tied up at its guest dock. Lunch will be served from noon until 3 pm on Saturday, Dinner from 5:30 – 8pm, and Brunch on Sunday from 9 am – 1pm. The bar will be open during those times, too.

It has been impressed upon me that the most important thing to remember is DON’T BLOCK THE SLIPS IMMEDIATELY OPPOSITE THE GUEST DOCK. If members cannot get their boats into and out of their slips they will not like that at all. I have explained to Management that SSS members are, without exception, classy people who exhibit nothing but civil behavior [sigh]. And they are also excellent sailors.

One last detail. A key card is needed for ingress and egress to the docks. That means you need a key card to get in and out. One key card has been made available to the entire SSS membership. It will be on a Blue Lake Tahoe lanyard. Please guard it well and use it with that Corinthian spirit in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whew!

Am I glad someone, everyone? is paying attention.

Otherwise I could end up somewhere east of Bakersfield!

So, I won't go to Duxbury before the Lightbucket, and I will go to Oakland YC after the race.
    I'll plan on dinner there since any dish I might bring along Nightmare will probably wind up more reminiscent of jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I will be there and will be lobbying for a new SHTP trophy called

"The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy"

alternatively and less impressively "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually tried to make it to Hawaii trophy"

Lest you think this implies a excessive tolerance of risk, I am headed into the yard after the cruise in to have all sorts of important crap accomplished on my boat. So when you see me on Saturday please do not think "he's actually going to try to sail that heap to Hawaii?".

I have a plan.

Mike,

You will have some stiff competition, as I am campaigning for "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy". But as of today we are R-86 days, I am relying on every day, pretty soon I'll be counting the hours. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way.....

....But I have a Plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Shad Lemke View Post
    Mike, You will have some stiff competition, as I am campaigning for "The least prepared boat at R-80 days which, despite it all, actually made it to Hawaii trophy". But as of today we are R-86 days, I am relying on every day, pretty soon I'll be counting the hours. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way..... ....But I have a Plan...
    Maybe we need to plan for many more trophies with even more imaginative names. Love that Tenacious Award. The average length boat in this race is 31 feet with few exceptions.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

This could be a chance to do the VHF radio testing, which had been proposed some months ago but only one or two people expressed interest.

What would be needed is

1. A bunch of boats docked/anchored fairly close together, with someone aboard to operate the radio(s)

2. A person to sit with the receiver at least a couple of hundred yards away. They would need maybe a table and 120VAC power.

3. Coordination

There have been hundreds of thousands of computer keystrokes expended on discussions of what constitutes a good radio installation; here is a chance to get some real data on real boats of our fleet.

The original thread proposing the test is here: http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ntenna-testing
    Here is the first post from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    After some discussion at a recent meeting, and some weirdness I saw with VHF and AIS during the LongPac, I started to think about how to test my VHF installation.

Fortunately at my workplace I found an old school RF spectrum analyzer and something even neater, a broad band biconic antenna, all nicely 50 ohm.

I tested them with my VHF handheld, and saw tons of signal, and when you talk you can see the structure in the spectrum. When you key the mic on but don't talk, you just see the carrier. In this case on Ch 69, the carrier is at 156.475 MHz.

I don't know if I would trust the absolute calibration, but one idea might be for several boats moored close together to do a comparison test transmitting to the person with the receiver gear on shore about 0.5 - 1 nm away to see how much power is coming through. Maybe after the season, or during the cruise-out to Sequoia YC in the fall. I will borrow the gear. I'm not sure how to pull data off it other than making notes on paper or taking photos of the screen. But if you are uncertain about your installation, this should distinguish sheep from goats.

Any interest?

Attachment 1046 Attachment 1047