Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Split Starts for SH and DH Divisions?

I agree with Bob and Chris.

I agree with Bob and Chris and Max. DM agrees with me.

Good point. Revise only Corinthian and Round the Rocks. And maybe the Vallejo 2. Just the doublehanded start in the Vallejo River.

OK, unless I hear a reasonable push back I am inclined to revise the RtR SI's for a test run as follows:
    C Mulithulls 10:30
    D Sportsboats 10:35
    E 108 and Under 10:40
    F 111 to 159 10:45
    G 162 and Over 10:50
    J non-Spin 10:55
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 04-08-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Rick, the other thing to consider as you watch the entries is to give the Express 27 fleet their own start. This was suggested at the Skippers' Meeting for the Corinthian Race, and had it been done it would have made that 30-boat Sportboat start into two 15-boat starts. This would have been better for them and better for the several singlehanded Sportboats who had to start with them.

Round the Rocks is another race in the Express 27 fleet's Long Distance Series, so they will again be racing "competitively." This is a great fleet and it's cool to have them in the race - we can make it even better by giving them their own start.

Fast boats first should result in fewer close encounters, whether rounding marks or just crossing tacks. Similarly, DH before SH should create separation. The downside, if I can speak up for slower boats (and singlehanders), is that much of the fleet is "gone" by the time you start. With faster boats first, one can feel, and the perception will be more often correct, that different fleets are sailing in different races.

As a first step, I would suggest that consideration be given to extending the time limit for slower boats (or shortening the limit for faster boats). A more radical approach would be to have different courses for some of the fleets.

I will support Rick in whatever decision he comes to for the upcoming Round-the-Rocks Race but further suggest that we plan for a brainstorming discussion during the awards meeting for R-t-R on May 4th........alg

Al brings up a good point. Slower boats should have a voice in this and I would like to hear from that side of the fleet before any changes. Also Bob’s point about the E27’s expanding with us is good and maybe a separate start for the E27 fleet would help.

Another option is a hybrid of both below with C&D fleets spreading out pretty fast after their starts and then leaving the rest of the starts as normal.

C Multihull
    D E27 & Sportsboats (this could be split into two starts if E27 get above 10?)
    E Non Spin
    F 162 & over
    G 111 to 159
    J 108 & under

None of these ideas address the small SH to large DH entries in the 111 to 159 and the 108 and under fleets. Keep the comments coming, RC serves the racers and everyone should have a voice.

@BobJ and Rick, Thanks for the good word about the Express 27 fleet getting maybe their own start. We try to be mellow but we are competitive. SDK

All good ideas. As an Express 27 SH, I would be really bummed if I were split from my Kin, the DH Express 27's.

The way I saw this race is that we would have had pile up problems even if all entries were DH's.

Having a Downwind, Large fleet, early Buoy rounding will cause congestions. Given different or changing wind conditions, I believe we can still have pile ups even with altered starting orders. We can't change the Fleet size, but we can change the "Downwind" part and/or "Buoy" rounding part.

What would happen if we went farther up wind (like Blackaller first) to stretch out the fleet, or rounded an island (TI) to give us more room?

JB
    Last edited by Submarino; 04-10-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Slower boats should have a voice in this and I would like to hear from that side of the fleet before any changes.
    Deft use of language, Rick! "that side of the fleet" instead of "that end of the fleet".

Since you ask, Dura Mater is a slow boat whose skipper probably won't get a lot faster. While I appreciate my local yacht club's inclusive attitude, as a laggard in races I have experienced the following situations upon returning toward the end of the race: 1/ the t shirts were all gone; 2/ the race committee radio was turned off before I finished one night when it was very very foggy and I had forgotten to mark the entrance to the marina in my vhf; 3/ the race committee did not wait to record my finish; 4/ I could hear the Race Committee repeatedly advising the small boat to NOT collect the mark because DM was still racing (that was disheartening); and finally, 5/ The food was all gone at the end of the day. Jeesh! Good thing my boat has a healthy self-conception.

During Singlehanded Sailing Society races none of that happens. I always get a tshirt, the RC doesn't leave until everybody finishes, even up on the race deck I know from experience that our Race Committee appreciates perseverance, enjoys its own company and doesn't expect to finish early, and there is no yacht club food at the end of the day anyway.

Dura Mater is usually just a bit behind Tortuga, sometimes just a bit in front of Tortuga, and there are also usually a few sailors new to the club who got lost on the course or are wandering around looking for the marks. So even if DM and I start last, there is often some company nearby. And that is part of the fun of the SSS. Do whatever you think needs to be done if it will keep people from crashing into each other. Maybe require bigger and permanent fenders? And thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-10-2016 at 03:37 PM.