Thread: Singlehanded Farallons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Singlehanded Farallons

Racers.....I hope to have the SI's out soon and race open, just some coordination with GGYC.....BIG reminder of the Safety at Sea requirement this year. See 4.3.2 on the attached NORCAL Offshore Racing Rules. Remember that you can take the required SAS half day course online now. http://norcalorc.org/sites/default/f...ifications.pdf http://www.ussailing.org/education/safety-at-sea/
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 04-28-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Skippers Meeting for the Singlehanded Farallones AND the SHTP Seminar for Provisioning and Medical Considerations at Island Yacht Club, this Wednesday May 11, 2016 @ 7:30pm. THE MEETING WILL NOT BE AT THE OAKLAND YACHT CLUB.

The Island Yacht Club (IYC)in Alameda is directly behind Svendsen's Chandlery. http://www.iyc.org/wp/contact-us/

Gate #7 into the Alameda Marina will be the only open gate at that time. There will be a security guard at the gate who will take down a name and license plate. Simply tell the guard you are going to Island Yacht Club. The club is next to Svendsen's hoist on the water.

Please observe the no-parking signs. Parking is generally available alongside the warehouse to the left of the club looking towards the water.

Fleet assignments have been posted https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...C=fl1&TYP=html Please note there was a correction of PHRF fleet numbers from the Jibeset sign ups to conform to our present NOR & SI's PHRF fleets...

After reviewing the SSIs and the SIs I didn't see any reference to a stand-off around the Farallones? I stayed at 100ft depth and .3-.4nm from the island with many boats inside of my track. Once I was .2nm+ from the island and there were several boats 1/3 of my distance to land. Are we not staying out of the 1000ft. national sanctuary? I could have shaved 5 minutes from my rounding had I cut the corner like many did on this light day and I certainly wanted to.
    Last edited by solosailor; 05-15-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Default Farallon stand off, this argument will never end.

You are not going to get a precise course established, ever, until the RC, both ours and OYRA, sets two to three way points around the island. This is done in world renowned globe circling races for safety. Gates are set, waypoint s are established, to avoid rocks and ice. However, the after guard of NC offshore racing fails to see the utility of this. That said, rounding the island to the north was a windward shore condition in minimal seas.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    After reviewing the SSIs and the SIs I didn't see any reference to a stand-off around the Farallones? I stayed at 100ft depth and .3-.4nm from the island with many boats inside of my track. Once I was .2nm+ from the island and there were several boats 1/3 of my distance to land. Are we not staying out of the 1000ft. national sanctuary? I could have shaved 5 minutes from my rounding had I cut the corner like many did on this light day and I certainly wanted to.

It's 300 feet, and Seal Rock isn't included part of the year. The 1,000 feet is a speed restriction zone. The "national sanctuary" you mention is 3,300 square MILES and we were sailing in it all day. The overlapping definitions make it murky, especially when you're making quick decisions due to boats close-by on opposing tacks.

You beat me for the overall mono by 24 seconds (after nine hours on the course) so hopefully that makes it all better.