Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-The-Bay, only

Default In-The-Bay, only

If you all were going to put together an "inside the Bay, only" shorthanded season from March-September, what would you do? I know there's the YRA "Shorthanded Circuit" but curious what folks actually did this year.

A given are the three SSS races that are inside the Bay.
    Did anybody do the Silver Eagle solo or double? I don't see it on the Circuit. How about the Westpoint Regatta?

EDIT: never mind, just found the shorthanded results from the 2015 Westpoint Regatta.
    https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...OC=r3&TYP=html

Eh, did the IYC not hold the Silver Eagle in 2015? Were there really only 5 boats signed up in 2014?
    https://www.jibeset.net/IYC000.php?RG=T008923206
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-13-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan, I tried to start this conversation a month or so ago. At that time I suggested the Sausalito YC's "Twin Island" series (3 races). The Starts are off Pt. Knot and there are two courses: (1) Around Alcatraz & Angel Islands in either direction (2) A variation that goes up to Red Rock and back. So, long legs & no short tacking. The SYC Race Committee said they'd be willing to work with a short-handed division. I suggested a separate start, 10 minutes after the regular starts so everyone but the short-handers would be gone. They thought that was workable. The Finish is back at the SYC with mooring balls & shuttle and party.

I also think some of the Tiburon YC's one-off races might work. Again there are long legs. They usually have a gathering at their YC afterward, too.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Alan, I tried to start this conversation a month or so ago. At that time I suggested the Sausalito YC's "Twin Island" series (3 races). The Starts are off Pt. Knot and there are two courses: (1) Around Alcatraz & Angel Islands in either direction (2) A variation that goes up to Red Rock and back. So, long legs & no short tacking. The SYC Race Committee said they'd be willing to work with a short-handed division. I suggested a separate start, 10 minutes after the regular starts so everyone but the short-handers would be gone. They thought that was workable. The Finish is back at the SYC with mooring balls & shuttle and party.

I also think some of the Tiburon YC's one-off races might work. Again there are long legs. They usually have a gathering at their YC afterward, too.

Pat
    While I would love to do the Ocean stuff, the price of admission in terms of safety gear is pretty high.

Here's a cut-up of the YRA Shorthanded Circuit, just the "In-The-Bay" races for 2015 and leaving out stuff like Tahoe races. I've put the SSS races in red

JAN. 30 SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
    FEB. 27 Single/Doublehanded #1, SeqYC
    MARCH 12 Rites of Spring Race, OYC
    MARCH 12 Doublehanded Long Distance, SSC
    MARCH 19 Corinthian Race, SSS
    APRIL 23 Round the Rocks, SSS
    APRIL 23 Twin Island Series, - SYC
    APRIL 30-MAY 1 YRA Great Vallejo Race, VYC
    MAY 7 Single/Doublehanded #2, SeqYC
    JULY 16 Twin Island Series, SYC
    JULY 16 Jill and Jack Race, SSC
    JULY 23 Single/Doublehanded #3, SeqYC
    JULY 30-31 YRA Second Half Opener, EYC
    AUG. 21 Gracie & George Race, EYC
    SEPT. 10 Single/Doublehanded #4, SeqYC
    OCT. 15 Single/Doublehanded #5, SeqYC
    OCT. 15 Twin Island Series, SYC
    OCT. 22-23 Vallejo 1-2, SSS
    JULY 9 YRA Westpoint Regatta, SeqYC

So, Sequoia YC has a whole singlehanded/doublehanded series, but then that's 'way down here in Redwood City. That's fine for me, at Coyote Point, but pretty far for the rest of you folks to commute.

Pat, the 2015 Twin Island Series conflicted with one of the SSS races, but fits in nicely with the rest of the schedule. Thoughts?

All but three of the monohulls in this year's Silver Eagle were shorthanders. About the same in 2015.

https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.ph...828054&SORT=df

There's also been a large contingent of shorthanders in the Berkeley Midwinters the last two years; last Winter they had separate divisions for singlehanders and doublehanders.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    So, Sequoia YC has a whole singlehanded/doublehanded series, but then that's 'way down here in Redwood City. That's fine for me, at Coyote Point, but pretty far for the rest of you folks to commute.

Pat, the 2015 Twin Island Series conflicted with one of the SSS races, but fits in nicely with the rest of the schedule. Thoughts?
    Alan, Dates for 2017 are being generated right now. I'll ask both the SSS and SYC what dates they are considering for 2017. The SYC also has a pursuit race (March 26 this year) and a one-way "Rear Commodore's Race" to Vallejo (June 25 this year). -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    All but three of the monohulls in this year's Silver Eagle were shorthanders. About the same in 2015.

https://www.jibeset.net/entrylist.ph...828054&SORT=df

There's also been a large contingent of shorthanders in the Berkeley Midwinters the last two years; last Winter they had separate divisions for singlehanders and doublehanders.
    Did the IYC run the Silver Eagle? I'm totally confused, now.

Anyway, it's been a decade since I did that race and I would **love** to do it again.

Berkeley Midwinters, eh? I must look up dates, then...

Hmmm. Thinking out loud, here...

JAN. ? SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
    MARCH ? Corinthian Race, SSS
    APRIL ? Round the Rocks, SSS (oh, please, not the last weekend in April!)
    MAY ? YRA Season Opener
    JUNE? Silver Eagle, IYC
    JULY? Westpoint Regatta
    AUGUST -
    SEPTEMBER -
    OCTOBER - SSS Vallejo 1-2
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-14-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Hey now, why is Feb, Nov and December missing?!

For August, I would consider EYC's Gracie and George race (female skipper, male crew). It might be a way that the guys out there could introduce sailing/racing to a female sailor or have their SOs join them. I know that Gordie and Mike are two of the SSSers who already do this regularly! Hmm, I guess this means that Jackie and I would have to bring guys on our boats. Wonder how that's going to work out

For September, sailing anywhere south of the central bay at that time truly sucks. What about BYC's Oktoberfest pursuit race around Alcatraz? Other than experiencing a horrific crash of multiple boats at the finish when I was crew on someone else's boat a couple years ago, this could be a fun one that I might consider doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    How about the Westpoint Regatta?

EDIT: never mind, just found the shorthanded results from the 2015 Westpoint Regatta.
    https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...OC=r3&TYP=html
    Ahem. You need to show the 2016 results. This is what a Freedom 38 can do when she sails in big wind to her polars....WestPoint Regatta_first place_July 2016.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I guess this means that Jackie and I would have to bring guys on our boats. Wonder how that's going to work out
    Dura Mater has had some pretty cool men crew over the years. Pat Broderick came with me a couple of years ago during a Berkeley Mid wins. I learned how to trim my sails for low wind. Al Germain came with me that one time when it got REAL WINDY AND REAL FOGGY at the end, and I remember laughing loudly and nervously with him as we tried to find the committee boat to finish. That was fun. My brother, Steve, came out with me and when he got tired of sitting up top, he went down and read Peter Heiberg's book in the cabin. I could hear him laughing from the cockpit. That was the time my starter got stuck "on", got hot and burned my exhaust tubing, which caused billowing black smoke to fill the cabin. Steve was calm: "That's your starter, Jack. Gotta remember to turn that off when you're done with it." So it has happened that DM has had male guests. Just not often. People I know? Either they want to sail their own boats or they are reluctant to get on a boat. They laugh nervously: "Um, does it lean over?" "Do you ever fall overboard?"
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-16-2016 at 04:03 PM.