Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 Singlehanded Farallones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9d4h6BqNA

Here's a video of Dura Mater's Pelagic tiller pilot coming back from the Farallones Saturday. Well, not really. That's a lie. It's a video of Brian Boschma's Pelagic autopilot on a smaller boat somewhere in a North Sea race. Pretty cool.

A few not-too-sharp pics from Saturday: Fugu, Nightmare and some smelly rocks.
    Name:  P5141042.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  333.0 KBName:  P5141041.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  313.3 KBName:  P5141048.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  326.7 KB

I had a blast!

What a beautiful foreboding place.

Nightmare sailed well, could have used a 125% jib.
    Finally got a spinnaker up about halfway back when the breeze clocked to the beam.

Duked it out with Max on Iniscaw till we found ourselves mid-channel inside of Bonita with a freighter bearing down on our sterns.
    He made north while I pushed to clear the south tower on a tight reach. Even with the light breeze El Diablo had things hopping!

After the finish I fumbled the jibe so I stuffed the thing down the hatch and sailed a pleasant reach home.

Working on pics
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 05-17-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: trouble with pics

One of the most pleasant Farallones. Although it's not really a Farallones race without the big winds and seas...

I had a very bad start, crossing the line as last boat in the division. However the breeze was perfect for TIJD. I started to pass many boats, including Ragtime. It did not last long as the wind died down a little and cracking off the sheets a bit. Ragtime with large jib started to move away. 3/4 to the Rocks I had to change course to avoid a big car carrier and lost some more ground. The apparent wind angle became 60 deg and I decided to try the code 0. This didn't last long as it was still a little to tight of an angle. Arriving at the Rock, Redsky came in from the south with it's big 150% jib. I managed to stay in front rounding the islands but Brian started to get closer. Luckily I could set the code 0 after the island and started to move away from Redsky and getting closer to Ragtime. In the distance Outsider disappeared using a code 0 as well (at least it looked like he was flying a code 0). The wind went more West and spinnakers were popping up everywhere. I quickly changed from the code 0 to my A2.5 which was fast enough to stay ahead of most boats except Ragtime and the J88 White Shadow. At the GG bridge I had the enjoyment of watching a whale from close up while under spinnaker. Freedom was right next to me all the way to the finish, which was fun as well.
    Many thanks to the race committee! It's a big effort to start and finish everyone and to deal with communications around shipping and swimmers

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Finally resized some photos to post.

Name:  IMG_1566.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  233.6 KBName:  IMG_1568.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  310.7 KBName:  IMG_1572.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  227.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  286.2 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, honestly! Saint Jackie here: I was just looking for food. And it was all gone!!!

Seriously, folks, the woman of the moment surely is Amy on Wingit! I'll bet she wasn't on anybody's radar to win this thing. Yet as I approached the stinky rocks (still far far east) hers was the first mast that I saw poke its head around the southern tip. Nearby, of course, was that familiar red spinnaker, but I digress.

Amy is the one who brings her two beautiful little girls to meetings. She is the harried mother who offers up toys to distract them while she tries to pay attention to details of upcoming races. Talk about grit! In order to race on Saturday I'll bet she had to make all the arrangements for their care in her absence: husband or partner notwithstanding, little girls depend upon their mothers to reassure them of their return. So, congratulations, Amy! I have seen you sail doublehanded over in the South bay during the Interclub series. Was this your first offshore singlehanded event or is this old stuff to you? You sure made it look easy!
    Amy has a lot of history on Wingit. She was on it when her dad capsized in front of the St Francis at the end of an ocean race- in the 80's IIRC. She's advocating for South Tower race and other classics :-) while also serving on BAMA BOD as Ratings Chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    It might not be an SSS rule, but there is a state rule in place. It's a Marine Protected Area with special closure restrictions so this time of year, no vessel operation is allowed within 1000' of North Farallon Island and there is a speed limit of 5 knots within 1000' of SE Farallon Island to minimize wildlife disturbances. See here: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Fa...ril%202012.pdf
    Its a BAMA rule as defined in DHF SI http://www.sfbama.org/2016/DHF/nr.pdf pg 4
    "RESTRICTIONS
    The Farallon Islands are a National Marine Sanctuary.
    Yachts must remain a distance of 1000 feet or greater from
    any Farallon island and rocks "

Reminder that the name on Marine Event Permit is the Organizing Authority and agrees to run the race per NOR/SI. In other words- SI are the controlling document and they are not the same for each race.

This was part of BAMA's response to Captn Stowe when she cancelled offshore racing after CF / Low Speed Chase in 2012
    https://app.box.com/s/a5s0x52o254hhbo9vqfq
    At the time much greater distances were being advocated (by CG SAR and others) or other impractical solutions.
    Captain Stowe said it was not necessarily a safe distance. We agreed. Its the sanctuary law and a reminder to navigate safe passage.