Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Singlehanded Farallones

Default 2016 Singlehanded Farallones

Dirk Hussleman, you and your latepac video got this crowd all riled up about the upcoming Farallones when you wrote:

"There was a lot of wind and big seas. It was a great ride winds between 25 and 32 knots. Boat handled really well with 2 reefs and a #3 jib. Seas were big but not many breakers"

Then David Herrigel went out and had a "perfect day" offshore:

"Meanwhile the wind had built to about 22 sustained at the first channel mark, so I tucked in a reef and carried on. Played with the AP in wind mode once things calmed down a little around the 2nd channel bouy... did pretty well, once the slamming potential was removed. Got to the light bucket, or there abouts, at 1330, and decided that was enough bashing into the wind and seas."

To top it off, Bob Johnston, Pat Broderick and Ronnie Simpson then get all sentimental about bruises from having to hang on to various parts of their boats in high wind and waves offshore. What is going on here!!?? Who are these people, these crazies? Who does this stuff?

"The Singlehanded Sailing Society was conceived to provide a forum where sailors and others interested in the sport of singlehanded sailing could share their ideas and experiences. It is the intent of the SSS to make it possible for such sailors to compete in seaworthy sailing vessels of various types and designs on a fair and equitable basis."

Huh. I guess it's the time of year when people remember to take that mission statement seriously.

what DM said. and there can also be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EydhI_m90

A great discussion thread from the Archives:

http://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/archiv...hp/t-1063.html

SailFlow's showing light SW at Start Time clocking around to W in the mid-teens later on. Max Ebb is about 2 hours after the Start so there will be Ebb and the S. Tower to contend with. Once beyond the bridge, the Ebb should help getting beyond Pt. Bonita, but the Flood will begin outside, likely before we escape its effects. Tomorrow NOAA begins its Gulf of the Farallones forecasts to add to the mix. Still a long time until Saturday, but it looks like a milder race this year.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    it looks like a milder race this year.
    :-)

Jackie, Beware of what you wish for! ;-)

Here's NOAA's forecasted conditions at the S. E. Farallon Saturday:

1100 SW 6 knots
    1400 SW 6 knots
    1700 NW 11 knots (yeah!)
    2000 NW 11 knots
    2300 NW 15 knots (gusts to 21) (WOW!)

Somewhere in there it will be W as it clocks from SW to NW.

Swell around 2' to 4' at around 12 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Jackie, Beware of what you wish for! ;-)
    Here's NOAA's forecasted conditions at the S. E. Farallon Saturday:

1100 SW 6 knots
    1400 SW 6 knots
    1700 NW 11 knots (yeah!)
    2000 NW 11 knots
    2300 NW 15 knots (gusts to 21) (WOW!)

Somewhere in there it will be W as it clocks from SW to NW. Swell around 2' to 4' at around 12 seconds.

Well, Pat, it is what it is. And, as David Nabors and Buckaroo Bonzai have said, "No matter where you go, there you are."

If the wind is quite light, Dura Mater and I will be offshore in the dark with the humpbacks and the lions and tigers and bears. I have a fixed Standard Horizon GX200 and today I was sitting in DM's cabin cogitating about its functions: specifically, the CPA (closest point of approach) and TCPA (time to closest point of approach) functions. Any recommendations? I don't want to scare myself or the marine life.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Turned out to be a lovely day. I took Sail Tactic's info to heart and did an early tack to south--there was more wind out there, and laid the island nicely. Wound up getting closer to seal rock than I wanted--GPS looks like I was only ~750 feet away. I'm looking through standing and special SI's for SSS--can't find the restriction to 1000 ft that I think OYRA uses. Is there a proximity restriction for this race? If so I'll RAF. Didn't do so hot anyway--twisted up the kite real good on the hoist, then tore it getting it down. But a lovely day, especially once the sun came out!

bw
    sea star

Quote Originally Posted by bobwalden View Post
    Turned out to be a lovely day. I took Sail Tactic's info to heart and did an early tack to south--there was more wind out there, and laid the island nicely. Wound up getting closer to seal rock than I wanted--GPS looks like I was only ~750 feet away. I'm looking through standing and special SI's for SSS--can't find the restriction to 1000 ft that I think OYRA uses. Is there a proximity restriction for this race? If so I'll RAF. Didn't do so hot anyway--twisted up the kite real good on the hoist, then tore it getting it down. But a lovely day, especially once the sun came out!

bw
    sea star
    It might not be an SSS rule, but there is a state rule in place. It's a Marine Protected Area with special closure restrictions so this time of year, no vessel operation is allowed within 1000' of North Farallon Island and there is a speed limit of 5 knots within 1000' of SE Farallon Island to minimize wildlife disturbances. See here: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Fa...ril%202012.pdf
    Last edited by Gamayun; 05-15-2016 at 05:12 PM.