Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local place for Iridium parts?

Default Local place for Iridium parts?

Edit - GMN is sending the part I need but since I'm not the only one using one of these, is there a local place for Iridium parts?
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Bob, How often do your GMN emails fail? I have about a 20% success rate!

ET

Hi Eric,

(You must be about to "hit the road?")

If you mean e-mails via Iridium and XGate, I don't know yet - I'm still werkin' on it. There are so many bits that I feel like I'm adapting my adapters. The people who make this stuff need to talk to each other.

I WILL CONFESS, the SSB is looking pretty good right now.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-27-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Too wordy - it's a curse.

FWIW, in 2006 I used GMN Xgate and Iridium almost exclusively going to Hawaii (PacCup) and back, and if the satphone connection stayed up, the email went through. With GMN, even partial messages were resumed when I reconnected. I recently sent a test email from the Sausalito slip, and it made it through with no problem.

Are you having trouble with the satellite connection, or with the GMN server? If it is the satellite, it really helps to have a clear shot at the sky all around, and a well-placed antenna. It will be better at sea than in the marina. Dropouts get a little more common as you get closer to the equator, but it is still quite usable. I regularly received 100KBytes worth of email per day (grib, wfax charts) in 2006, and most of the time without dropouts.

Cool Iridium email

I will confess that the most problematic session I have had is on the deck at my house with the trees around. I got all the adapters with the phone from Louis at GMN and he did say you had to have all the right pieces to get them to fit just right. I had a friend set it all up and he made a few calls to lous and macenc to get it dialed in. I hit the road on Sunday am, just hauled the boat and packed the gear, put on the self tailors, got a hair cut....Having a general family Last Supper tomorow. It would be nice to sit down when we get their and sort out the Iridium/mac stuff.

Eric

Eric, were you able to get a spot at Marina Village?

The General arrived on Monday and is just down the dock from me. He was up to his elbows in diesel this afternoon, working on his fuel pump. Then about 1900 I was putting things away and there was a knock on the hull - Jim (Haulback) had just pulled in. It will be great to have these guys around over the next couple of weeks, with more of you to come.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-27-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Thumbs up Bear to ravage village.

I will be at marina village later this week, they said they would have room for me and to call a couple days out, where did you say Don was launching?

Boat is all loaded and strapped sitting in my driveway, running a few erands then on the road.

ET

Default Warriors Wish

Warriors Wish arrived Friday afternoon at Sverduson(sp).
    Missing bottom 4 " of rudder due to a altercation with Tractor Trailor, no protest filed.

I wish someone would please turn on the heat....if it gets any colder I will need to put on my foul weather gear.

Glad to be here though.

Hey Don, welcome to town. I'll come over to Svendsen's and look you up.

The thing with the temperature around here is that if it gets hot in Alameda it's because the wind has shut down.

I really need some help with these computer trinkets, guys. I still can't plug the Iridium's data adapter into my Keyspan USB/Serial adapter because the plugs won't go together without serious modification of one or the other. What I need is a short (they make 1-ft) serial extender cable, M/F 9-pin. Where in the East Bay is the biggest repository of this stuff? The cable (if I could find one) is less than $5, but UPS overnight from places who have them is $50!

Hi Bob,

Have you tried Al Lashers Electronics in Berkeley?
    1734 University Avenue
    (510) 843-5915

Chris H
    Carroll E