Hi - what would it take for the SSS to add 3 "in the bay" races next summer (2017)? Day races, to be clear, without any related overnight. I have to think there is demand out there -- after all, the SSS gets 100+ boats in the 3BF, Corinthian, and Round the Rocks.

Would it require higher membership fees? More volunteers? Piggybacking on YRA races?

I think there is a lot of be said for doing this. Bay races are obviously cheaper and more convenient -- and will attract more boats than ocean races or overnights ever will. It seems like a no brainer to have more of them, esp. if one of the club's main goals is to promote the sport. Having more in the bay races would also, I think, help create a stronger pipeline of future ocean racers.

Unfortunately, at the moment the SSS schedule is weighted in just the opposite direction: 5 ocean/overnight races vs. 3 in the bay day races. This inherently attracts big boats, or people with time, or people with money (the 1% of sailing?)

For the long-term health of the club and the sport, shouldn't the club weight its schedule towards the bay?

- A 99% sailor

P.S. Happy to help organize this if need be.