Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: +3 bay races in summer 2017 - what would it take?

Done!

What if the SSS just put the YRA series into its calendar for next year with an asterix?
    The SSS season has shaped up over decades of racing. Why not just get enough entries for the YRA to add a shorthanded division, it doesn't involve the SSS if they don't count for the season nor run by the SSS. There are plenty on the schedule and as stated it's very difficult to add more dates. June used to be more busy with the Coastal Cup and Longpac/SHTP (used to be June 24'th'ish) and the Silver Eagle used to be more attended and MUCH longer.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Latitude 38 publishes a shorthanded circuit in the annual Master Calendar book and also on their website

https://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/shorthanded.html

JAN. 30 SSS Three Bridge Fiasco
    FEB. 27 Single/Doublehanded #1, SeqYC
    MARCH 12 Rites of Spring Race, OYC
    MARCH 12 Doublehanded Long Distance, SSC
    MARCH 19 Corinthian Race, SSS
    MARCH 26 Doublehanded Farallones, BAMA
    APRIL 2 Doublehanded Lightship Race, IYC
    APRIL 16 YRA OYRA Lightship, StFYC
    APRIL 23 Round the Rocks, SSS
    APRIL 30-MAY 1 YRA Great Vallejo Race, VYC
    MAY 7 Single/Doublehanded #2, SeqYC
    MAY 14 Singlehanded Farallones Race, SSS
    MAY 21 YRA OYRA Duxship
    MAY 27 Spinnaker Cup to Monterey, SFYC/MPYC
    JUNE 11 YRA OYRA Farallones Race
    JULY 24 Doublehanded Races, LTWYC
    JUNE 25 YRA OYRA Half Moon Bay Race, HMBYC
    JULY 9 YRA Westpoint Regatta, SeqYC
    JULY 16 YRA OYRA Jr. Waterhouse
    JULY 16 Jill and Jack Race, SSC
    JULY 23 Single/Doublehanded #3, SeqYC
    JULY 30-31 YRA Second Half Opener, EYC
    AUG. 6 YRA OYRA RCs Choice
    AUG. 21 Singlehanded Race, LTWYC
    AUG. 21 Gracie & George Race, EYC
    AUG. 27-28 YRA OYRA / SSS Drake's Bay Race
    SEPT. TBD Jack and Jill Regatta, SCYC
    SEPT. 10 Single/Doublehanded #4, SeqYC
    SEPT. 24 Half Moon Bay Race, SSS
    SEPT. 24-25 YRA Season Closer
    OCT. 1 Shorthanded Races, TYC
    OCT. 8 YRA OYRA RCs Choice
    OCT. 15 Single/Doublehanded #5, SeqYC
    OCT. 22-23 Vallejo 1-2, SSS
    NOV. 6 Jack & Jill + 1 Race (Triplehanded), IYC

Thanks for posting this. I had seen it before and forgotten about it. I have to say, though, that as someone who wants to do more single handed keelboat racing inside the bay in the summer, this schedule doesn't really deliver. Starting in May, this is mostly ocean racing or relatively far away (Tahoe, redwood city, Stockton, etc.) or double handed.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Latitude 38 publishes a shorthanded circuit in the annual Master Calendar book and also on their website

https://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/shorthanded.html
    Last edited by 255grizzly; 06-11-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The SSS season has shaped up over decades of racing. Why not just get enough entries for the YRA to add a shorthanded division, it doesn't involve the SSS if they don't count for the season nor run by the SSS. There are plenty on the schedule and as stated it's very difficult to add more dates. June used to be more busy with the Coastal Cup and Longpac/SHTP (used to be June 24'th'ish) and the Silver Eagle used to be more attended and MUCH longer.
    I think we would be much more likely to get 5+ single handed boats to the line if the SSS actually promoted more races in its schedule. I think piggybacking on the yra series could be a good option. They run a good race. And we already have the relationship via the drakes bay race.
    Last edited by 255grizzly; 06-11-2016 at 11:33 PM.

I did the YRA series again this weekend. I'm reversing my stand on that series - I don't think it's a great one for single handers. There's too much traffic going up and down the course for flying spinnaker solo (I may be on the conservative side here, but there were a lot of fancy boats in the phrf fleet and, excuse me for judging by looks, but they didn't strike as the types who would make room for a singlehander.) Also, the RC doesn't give you much time as a break in between the races. Well, at least if you're one of the last finishers, which I was. I had a slow first race and literally had to start my second race within 1-2 minutes of finishing the first. Ug.

I still think it would be great for the SSS to fill in its summer calendar with a few races in the Bay. Bob J's idea of a "Bay Series" is just great. Instead of the YRA regattas, perhaps we could consider the Berkeley Tri Island Series and the Silver Eagle? These seem like a good format for single handers -- one race, longer distances, friendly vibe.

I really believe that if we add these to the SSS calendar, it will spur greater single and/or double-handed participation in the races. But even if it doesn't, there's very little downside. More shorthanded racing in the Bay in the summer would be great!

Once I FINALLY get my boat going, it's going to be a few years before I can accumulate enough $$ to get the gear to do the offshore stuff. I'll be limited to in-the-Bay races. I, personally would be very interested in a "piggyback" series of midsummer and Fall shorthanded divisions in existing races. The Delta Ditch Run and Silver Eagle are obvious choices.

What's the LTWYC?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    What's the LTWYC?
    Lake Tahoe Windjammers Yacht Club.

I really believe that if we add these to the SSS calendar, it will spur greater single and/or double-handed participation in the races. But even if it doesn't, there's very little downside. More shorthanded racing in the Bay in the summer would be great!
    It dilutes the schedule. I'd be firmly against adding more races. Our distance races Longpac and SHTP are in June/July and if you add all these neat little day races right around then most of those ardent competitors wouldn't be able to compete. There is a season championship and all so to add those races right on top of our OWN major races would be a bad move.

There are plenty of SSS races especially with the recent addition of 2 ocean races days, Drakes Bay.

You could have petitioned something like the WestPoint Regatta this weekend to have a shorthanded division, etc.