Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dura Mater's Universal M-15

Living with "dread" is why I carry so many auto pilots. Engines are not evil...just problematic. Sorta like many people....

Hi Jackie,
    Before changing the head gasket, it is good to understand how the starter (or anything else) works.
    The most engine starters have solenoids(smaller cylinder shape part on the top of starter)
    When pushing the starter switch it will energize the solenoid coil, creating magnetic field, which will pull the steel lever inside the starter and moving the pinion gear - engaging it with the toothed engine flywheel.
    Once the pinion gear engages the high current contacts to starter motor are also closed and the starter motor starts spinning and since the pinion gear is engaged with the flywheel the engine should start to turn.

Since you already changed the starter, the most likely culprit is the electrical circuit, which also includes ground.
    tbousiie gave a very good suggestion checking for the voltage drop. That should lead to finding the culprit.

However, on occasions, the most likely root cause is not the problem and for instance, you can have a cylinder hydraulic lock (leaking coolant or fuel inside the cylinder) and since the starter motor won't be able to compress the liquid it won't turn creating a false impression that it is an electrical problem.

Good luck:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    Hi Jackie,
    Before changing the head gasket, it is good to understand how the starter (or anything else) works.
    The most engine starters have solenoids(smaller cylinder shape part on the top of starter)
    When pushing the starter switch it will energize the solenoid coil, creating magnetic field, which will pull the steel lever inside the starter and moving the pinion gear - engaging it with the toothed engine flywheel.
    Once the pinion gear engages the high current contacts to starter motor are also closed and the starter motor starts spinning and since the pinion gear is engaged with the flywheel the engine should start to turn.

Since you already changed the starter, the most likely culprit is the electrical circuit, which also includes ground.
    tbousiie gave a very good suggestion checking for the voltage drop. That should lead to finding the culprit.

However, on occasions, the most likely root cause is not the problem and for instance, you can have a cylinder hydraulic lock (leaking coolant or fuel inside the cylinder) and since the starter motor won't be able to compress the liquid it won't turn creating a false impression that it is an electrical problem.

Good luck:-)
    Thank you, Henry. DM's engine has started for two days in a row now. I hold my breath every time and am relieved and exhilarated in an outsized way every time. She and I don't really need it, except when we do. Usually just out of her slip then back into her slip, especially on windy or windless days. The boat next to her left long ago, so now that we no longer share the two slips she and I can bounce around in the generous space between the docks without an engine until the wind catches her sails, almost not needing an engine at all. Almost. Since Berkeley is downwind of the slot I can usually get home on the flood on very little wind, as long as I don't mind waiting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Hmmmm. Yes, fun fun fun! After that I carried my porta potti up to the marina bathroom and spilled half of it on my shoes. Ah, sailing. Such a classy pastime.
    I like to call that; "The romance of boating"

I am also suspicious of ANY electrical connections and salt air/water; it is only a matter of time. . . .
    Sailing home from the Delta earlier this week, the sounder became intermittent. Popped open the back, used some sand paper and WD-40 to polish the green connector, and presto, it worked well for a good 7 hours, until it became time to anchor.

Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I like to call that; "The romance of boating"

I am also suspicious of ANY electrical connections and salt air/water; it is only a matter of time. . . .
    Sailing home from the Delta earlier this week, the sounder became intermittent. Popped open the back, used some sand paper and WD-40 to polish the green connector, and presto, it worked well for a good 7 hours, until it became time to anchor.

Don't give up.
    I agree and not just boats. Edge connectors on printed circuit boards come to mind- in a clean room! Seems I recall that WD40 has acid in it- part of its magic- a reason not to use on wires I was told.
    Bob

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The WD in WD-40 stands for 'whale dreck'.