Thread: In Hanalei Bay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In Hanalei Bay

Dirk Husselman and the Kahuna at Command Central.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice!! Have you gone snorkeling yet? Found the lava tubes? Wondered to the Secret Baths? Seen the lighthouse and the frigate birds? Walked the spectacular botanical gardens? Picked up some lilikoi at the farmer's market? Come'on girl, real pictures next time....we need ACTION pictures and stories!!!

Dirk Husselman collecting a sup from Command Central. Carliane, if I'm photographing I'm not DOING.

Our crash boat - oops, our greeting boat - is not quite here yet. But that's okay, right? Cuz the first boat won't come in until, oh, say another 7 hours. So we have a plan B ready to go. We've inflated Temerity's big dinghy, which we have tucked away around the side of the house out of sight of local predators (kind of like living in my neighborhood in Oakland, but with a mahalo at the end). We are waking every 2 hours (kind of like single handing across the ocean but drier and more comfortable, with hot showers and not so rolly) in case someone radios in. Jonathan Gutoff and I accompanied Brian to the bluffs of Princeville( through a lot of muddy puddles and bushes is where we went!) In order to try to reach the front runners over his Yagi, which is constructed of slim PVC piping and old used arrow quivers. Or so I'm told. Well, it didn't work there so then we drove through this intense rain, a squall, to a swanky neighborhood because it was on higher ground, slogged through high wet grass with the Yagi and all its cords again, and tried again: "boat name, boat name, this is the Transpac, do you read me?" Well, nobody responded, so we high tailed it out there before we got arrested. We've got the radio on scan here in the kitchen, the rain is just pouring down outside and it must really be something out there on the water.
    So we're ready to roll, or at least paddle Temerity's dinghy out to greet the first finisher(s) who seem to be flying toward us. We have our headlamps and vhf radios ready. There's a finish sheet on the wall at Command Central that mimics Skip's finish sheet from 1978. I hope everybody will record their own boats' finish times when they arrive because I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-15-2016 at 02:24 AM.

Here is a photo of our radio, scanning its little heart out from its perch on top of the
    Plastic cooler on the kitchen floor next to the bag of recycling. Wow. This must be what it's like to be part of the Pacific Cup organization, huh? Except I don't see no thick carpeting nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Our crash boat - oops, our greeting boat - is not quite here yet.
    Rob called it "Racer Chaser One" which I thought was great. But you're good at naming things (like cars) - go for it! BTW, who's driving Loose Lucy while you're slumming on the Garden Isle?

This morning, Facebook showed up with the post I made in July 2012 about the surf lessons. Nice to have the memory refresher. So, if you decide to go, you can take lessons on Kiahuna Beach next to the Marriott. Looks like a couple of outfits are set up right there and it's a long nice, easy break, if you're a surfing weenie beginner like me.

But I'm sure there are way more important things to do right now. Have fun