Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Hanalei Bay

Landed safely in Hanalei Bay: Tortuga, Elizabeth Ann, Jacqueline and Haunani.
    This about Haunani from Susan Walker: "Beautiful afternoon finish. There must have been 20 people here to greet her with traditional flower and woven grass leis. Very lovely! She looked great after all she'd been through."

So great to hear!!!! Thanks, Jackie

This from Susan Walker: "Lots of anchoring problems this year. Seems like regular in shore calls for drifting boats ... More than we ever recall. Probably combo of twinky race anchors and conditions. Green Giant had a good idea of adding "anchoring" as a seminar topic. And if they don't want to carry a heavier anchor to send one."

Green Giant is Susan's name for Dave Garman. Sleep deprived, she couldn't remember David Garman's boat's name, so the boat became "Green Giant" and shortly after that we began calling David Green Giant.. David is very resourceful and knowledgable, and has quickly become the go-to guy. Pakala's scope is too long? David paddled out and re-anchored it. The fridge is running low on food? David goes on a market run for sushi and doritos and etc. Rum low? David makes sure that never happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Results on the wall in the little yellow house in Hanalei:

Who is this brash youngster who came out of nowhere to sail first over the line in Hanalei Bay? He grew up in Bellevue, Washington. According to his mother, he liked to watch boats while he drank beer with his friends. Then he decided it would be better to drink beer on boats with his friends. According to his father, Jiri borrowed $10,000 to buy a 28’ Newport, which he named Chaos. He sold the Newport and paid his father back. Late in the summer of 2010 he bought an Olson 30 he named Kato, which he sailed in the 2016 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race.

I first met Jiri on the deck of the Corinthian Yacht Club @ 10:15 am the morning before the race. He was leaning on the deck rail, talking to someone on the phone. The Skippers meeting had started earlier, at 9:30 am, and Brian Boschma was going over communications issues with everyone. Everyone but Jiri, who was out on the deck. As I walked by, Jiri smiled that big beautiful smile of his and called out, “Hey! Excuse me! Do you know if there is a skippers’ meeting here?” Yup. A youngster.

Jiri is 27 years old and lists his marina as Sausalito in Marin. Uh huh. I’m thinking he anchors out in Richardson’s Bay. He and his family are from the Czech Republic, and he flew that country’s flag at the start and end of the race. It’s a beautiful flag. Jiri lives in San Francisco with his girlfriend, Bree. I hope I’m spelling her name right, because she is a lovely woman. Apparently she helped Jiri prepare his boat for the race. She also located him for the race committee.

There is a point of land between Hanalei Bay and the rest of the world. Fortunately for us, Skip Allan and the fair Annie had a condo overlooking the entrance to the Bay and were able to help us spot incoming yachts for much of the race. However, when Jiri and Kato approached, Skip and Annie had not yet arrived. And the tracker failed to note how far off were the boats. Despite a yagi in the tree outside the little yellow house, we could not raise Kato on the radio. We knew he was out there, but not exactly where out there. And then we heard a little ring tone. Bree raised her phone and said, “Oh, hi!” Jiri had texted Bree. Yup. Modern technology. These young people. They communicate in the most ingenious ways. Which carrier? You may well ask. Let’s hope for a sponsorship next time from: Verizon.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-20-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Photos from Vance Sprock, not all in Hanalei Bay, also at Nawiliwili Harbor about to be loaded
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-31-2016 at 09:31 PM.