Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaman trapped in Nawiliwili

Default Shaman trapped in Nawiliwili

Hi folks,
    I really enjoyed the SHTP, except when I was terrified and felt like I had no idea what I was doing out there. Now I am struggling to find a way to get my boat back to California. The situation has really fallen apart.

When I was planning to do the race, my three close friends were going to help me sail the boat home. This was a comforting plan, and they attended all of the seminars with me. Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend, and when I finally got these small boat sailors offshore, they were seasick and miserable, useless to me and to themselves. So what to do then? Give up on SHTP? Sail the boat home alone? I chose, in complete ignorance, to sail Shaman back by myself. Now fast forward to today, and I have blown up my 155% genoa, 95% jib and my lower back. No upwind sails and a 62-year-old skipper who can’t do the job. What to do?

My three options, as I see them, look like this:
    1) Buy a headsail, either a new Dacron jib or a used sail via Minney’s, Pineapple or elsewhere. Hire a delivery skipper. Pay what? About $5000 to $10,000?
    2) See if any Cal 40 has a trailer or cradle available, and have the boat shipped back. How much would this cost and is it even a possible option? I missed a trailer Stan Honey advertised in the July Latitude 38 issue by two days. Damn.
    3) Put the boat up for sale, as-is, where-is. I hate to say this, but Option #3 seems like the only one that has any realistic grownup likelihood of happening.

I bought Shaman for $80,000 and have spent another $30,000 in a year and a half. As a three-time cancer survivor with a 40% chance of being healthy in five years, I wanted to do this race NOW, not in two years, when I would really be ready. Although I am proud to have completed the race, I feel like I have really blown it, like I had no idea what it would be like “out there,” and am completely terrified to take this three-week upwind bash. So it feels like I am going to lose my boat, and about half the money I have spent—or more.

Does anyone have some advice for a stuck competitor?

Tom Burden

After the 2006 race one skipper left his boat there in Nawiliwili over the off-season - he had lost his rudder during the race. He had a new rudder made and then sailed the boat home the next season. A bit of time may reveal additional options - is leaving it there for now a possibility?

That's a fine boat (I looked at it when Steve was selling it) and it's irreplaceable.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-25-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Tom, Mike Jefferson says to get a place to stay in Ko'olina Marina and you can sort this all out (crew, sails, etc.). It's not a walk in the park, but it's not a difficult return trip either from what I hear others talk about. Post requests for experienced crew in Lat38, Sailnet and Cruisersforum. Yes, it's taking on unknowns like your friends who didn't know what they were getting into, but you should request their credentials for ocean passages and screen for the best ones. You don't need to hire a delivery captain, but you are giving up a lot if you don't make the trip back with them. Keep us posted!! Selling the boat is an option, but doesn't seem like the one you really want to do and you're considering it under duress. That's not good. Give it some time. You can do this. You've certainly dealt with more difficult things!!!

Tom -
    I'm still here in Lihue, Dom is on the trailer and under the tender ministrations of Matson for the next few weeks.
    from my research, my strong suspicion is option 1 and 2 will be at best be a wash, more likely option 1 would end up being less by the time you factor in recommissioning.
    That said, I'd be happy to talk through what I know about shipping; just call my cell [should be available via RC]. or just send a PM on the forum and I'll call ya.

The above notwithstanding, I'd also be happy to bring Shaman back with you; particularly if you end up leaving her in the islands for a somewhat extended period.
    At some point the i do need to face the reality that going back to work entails, but I would be happy to help if the window shifts late enough.

Regardless of how that works out, I concur with what Mike and Gamayun say above.
    Don't panic, find a way to buy yourself a little time, and a solution will come around.

DH

Well, I know that it all depends upon one's perspective, but here I am back in Oakland for a week now. Being trapped in Kauai on a Cal 40 (a "fine boat")? Things could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oldensloh View Post
    Does anyone have some advice for a stuck competitor?

Tom Burden
    Maybe you could ask David King, Saraband, about options. It looks like he has a lot of experience sailing and delivering boats, both alone and with others.

Todd

Thanks everyone! I am looking at options other than selling my wonderful boat. First I am trying to track down a sail. Will keep you posted, and also talk with David King and others.

Tom

Got a Dacron jib ordered from David Hodges in Santa Cruz. Same dimensions as old one. He will have it built in as little as a week, for under $3000. That seemed a lot better than what Minney’s and Pineapple had to offer. Moving ahead here!

It would be very expensive to decommission, ship, recommission...... ask Dave of Temerity ! Delivery usually runs about 10k for multiple bodies.

Solosailor, your estimate is about what I have come up with. Very pricey, plus getting a trailer for a Cal 40 is a big challenge.