Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaman trapped in Nawiliwili

Quote Originally Posted by oldensloh View Post
    Got a Dacron jib ordered from David Hodges in Santa Cruz. Same dimensions as old one. He will have it built in as little as a week, for under $3000. That seemed a lot better than what Minney’s and Pineapple had to offer. Moving ahead here!
    Great! One step at a time...

Don't know of a trailer for the application, a break down cradle would be more like it. If you end up needing a delivery done post it on here and I'll pass it along to some folks.

Tom, are you still in Kauai? I just arrived Nahwiliwili with Jacqueline. I have also changed plans and decided to ship but it's a bit easier for my smaller boat. Anyway, if you want to hang out and talk I am at 505-450-1716 or drop by at G309. On a bus to Hanalei right now to pick up my car but back this evening.

Mike Cunningham

Tom, check your PM inbox.
    R Sailor

Having sailed two boats to Hawaii and either donated them or sold them, I would say to think VERY hard about selling your boat. You've piled a LOT of time and money into that vessel and it's no joke to walk away from that. That sort of intimate knowledge of your boat is not easily come by. While I'm glad that I sold Ankle Biter in Hawaii in 2008, I have to admit that it's been difficult dealing with "no boat" and starting all over again.. AGAIN with this new vessel. None of my boats have been anything as substantial as a Cal 40.

In my case, the Ranger 29 with a barely functional engine was not making a trip back, I didn't have the time off work to do it and shipping it was out of the question. I donated that to the University of Hawaii sailing program. That made total sense. In 2008 again I didn't have time to sail the boat back but while shipping a Santa Cruz 27 was somewhat less pointless than a Ranger 29, it was still going to cost $10,000 to ship a boat that I paid $8,000 for. -- Makes no sense. A Cal 40 is a whole different proposition from either of my boats. Hiring two professional crew and going, yourself will cost less than shipping a Cal 40 home, by a LONG shot.

There's no rush. Find a slip somewhere in Hawaii and leave the boat there if you have to. Ask around and see if some Cal 40 sailors have a used sail or two to sell you. That'll get you home when you have the time and resources. Take some time, don't rush this.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-28-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan, thanks for the advice. I am definitely not going to hold a distress sale in Hawaii. Will have a Dacron jib by mid-next week. Now looking for a delivery skipper, since my 62-year-old lower back is needing some TLC. Mike Cunningham, I am back in California now. Good luck on getting Jacqueline back home. Keep me posted on what you find out about shipping your boat. I am at (831) 331-8737.

Thanks again to everyone for the guidance here!

Tom

Tom.....I dont have much advice, but I wanted to send you a huge hug and tell you that I am sorry for the stress of this. If there is any way I can be of support, plaese call me...310-614-1445. I did have a pair that were willing to bring my boat back, but I found shipping was less money (and less wear and tear). Best of luck to you. Sending you all kinds of good juju!!!!! Margie
    -Margie Woods
    "Cassiopeia", Hanse 371
    www.sailinghaunani.com
    mwbfoto@gmail.com

Thanks Margie!
    Looks like I have a great delivery team hired to get Shaman home. Tentative delivery departure date September 8th. That means I get to have another vacation in Nawiliwili while we prep the boat.