Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Return Delivery

Bob/Dave - thank you kindly for the offer! I will begin assessing all the options (including shipping if I can afford it) after Shad gets back safely.

Am I correct in thinking, from a weather perspective, delivery season shuts down in the next month or so and opens up in April again?

Jiri

Yes, the end of September is about it from what I've heard over the years. But a weather router could give you more specific info. I like Rick Shema, who is in Hawaii: WeatherGuy.com. He can give you a general idea and then provide more precise departure advise for a fee - well worth it in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yes, the end of September is about it from what I've heard over the years. But a weather router could give you more specific info. I like Rick Shema, who is in Hawaii: WeatherGuy.com. He can give you a general idea and then provide more precise departure advise for a fee - well worth it in my experience.
    I 2nd the endorsement of Rick Shema, weatherguy. I've engaged him several times for Frolic passages and have been satisfied with his product. The 1st time i was exposed to his service was in Oct 2004 when i was one of four who crewed on a delivery of Azul from Ko Olina to Santa Barbara. Azul, a SC 52 from the bay, did the Pac Cup and then was sold to Jim Cushman who wanted her in SB. We left Oahu in mid-October and slammed N into strong trades for a week. During an '0-dark-thirty squall' and headsail change, we accidentally jibed and our skipper, Dave Wyman, was crunched against a primary by the main sheet tackle. Turned out to be 6 broken ribs but at the time we didn't know (we contacted medical help via Ham). Anyway, with our skipper/navigator only able to work 'part-time,' it was nice to have Rick Shema's routing and eye out for us. In fact, when a big L came roaring toward us from Alaska he advised we turn E early (~N34) which we did and were able to sail most of the way under the H (as the General has done many times, and Dolfin just did) and made it to SB before what turned out to be a pretty significant storm battered a good part of the W coast (~4 Nov). We averaged a bit over 7 kts and our elapsed was 14 days 3 hrs.

Just sent to me from John Woodworth's dockmate, Nick Salvador:

"I've been in contact with OWL 2x a day for ...ever. His furler took a dump on him, so his headsail is on or off, no in between. When the breeze has been up, he's been limited to his staysail and main. At the moment he's just inside of 130W in light air making around 4 kts and getting ready to spark up the noisemaker later this evening. He has 300 nm to go. Feel free to post this along to the SSS gang if they're interested. He should be back late Sunday/early Monday."

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Just sent to me from John Woodworth's dockmate, Nick Salvador:

"I've been in contact with OWL 2x a day for ...ever. His furler took a dump on him, so his headsail is on or off, no in between. When the breeze has been up, he's been limited to his staysail and main. At the moment he's just inside of 130W in light air making around 4 kts and getting ready to spark up the noisemaker later this evening. He has 300 nm to go. Feel free to post this along to the SSS gang if they're interested. He should be back late Sunday/early Monday."
    Thank you Nick. We really enjoyed getting to know John and have been wondering about his progress. Unfortunately (kinda) we are in the Mtns and won't be able to greet him.
    Susan Walker

Pakala is at 34.25 x 154 at 8 Kts!! as of this morn

Jacqueline is at 34.9 x 152 at 5.5 Kts

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Pakala is at 34.25 x 154 at 8 Kts!! as of this morn; Jacqueline is at 34.9 x 152 at 5.5 Kts
    Thanks, Mike! I received an email from Joe's son asking about Jacqueline. I told him to look here because you were posting some funny videos. Do you have any more? It's great to see you harrassing your crew. What next?

Yea, Joe and I have traded texts. At least he will talk to me. My crew is antisocial but I don't care as long as Jax is making progress.

I been keeping Joe up to date on critical news, specifically the latest from Weiner. I figured that would give Joe something to laugh about.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 08-29-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Well, I do not have any funny videos but I do have an educational video I will share. It contains a g rated Introduction to the "bucket head". When I told them the actual head did not work, I provided the crew with a simulation demo. Maybe that's why I have not heard from them...you think?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you guys/gals know that Kato is now a permanent Kauai resident. He has joined the ever-growing fleet of Olson 30s that race regularly out of Nawiliwili.

Upon Kato's arrival back to Kauai I considered all options and did lots of math. The only option I could afford was to sell Kato or keep him there until I could return him myself or find another deliver group to take him back. Commanders was telling me the delivery window from Kauai looks pretty compromised for the near term (there are some windows but timing a delivery on short notice would be hard) and my insurance company actually immediately dropped my coverage when they heard a 30+ year old boat was in Hawaii. Ughh.. Keeping Kato there for 6 months was certainly a possibility, but Nawiliwili yacht harbor didn't have any long term slips and I didn't like the idea of paying moorage for a boat I can't use for half the year.

As all of this was piling up, I carefully read the Shaman account and decided I will take my time to make a decision. However, a local who helped get Shad and the boat safely into its slip, decided he was very interested in purchasing Kato and he offered a very fair price and also decided he will ship back all the 'non-beercan-racing-equipment' back to me. Which is pretty much everything.

This is bittersweet and certainly not expected. I will really miss Kato, but I look forward to the other adventures this has opened up. Say hi to Kato next time you are there