Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With heavy heart and light wallet

What is bizarre is that I feel a little like the main character in "The Hurt Locker". Of course there is no comparison between combat and sailing, still, standing in Walmart deciding on a laundry detergent after sailing alone to Hawaii...its just like... wow.

You wander around with this experience and accomplishment banging around in your head... now what? I'm sure it will wear off soon enough but it is an interesting feeling.

I was down to Pineapple yesterday with my damaged jib and Kame tell's me "That thing looks OK for a downwind trip to Hawaii but it's too full for good windward performance, why don't we build you a new sail for next year's racing?"

I say "OK, why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I was down to Pineapple yesterday with my damaged jib and Kame tell's me "That thing looks OK for a downwind trip to Hawaii but it's too full for good windward performance, why don't we build you a new sail for next year's racing?"

I say "OK, why not?"
    But of course you said "yes." Was there any other possible answer....?!?

I say "OK, why not?"
    The saga continues

Ha Ha, my Wife was with me when Kame came up with the quote for a new sail. She called me over. I'm thinking, here it comes, "you are not spending a flight and nice weekend in Seattle with our Son on a new sail". She actually said "don't waste money on repairing that ratty old thing, buy the new sail." After I recovered from my utter astonishment I sort of blankly nodded at Kame and said gimme the new sail.

Wow - that has NEVER happened to me. Around here it's equal cost - my last full suit of sails cost me a baby grand, all 88 keys worth. What's your secret?

Ha Ha, my Wife was with me when Kame came up with the quote for a new sail. She called me over. I'm thinking, here it comes, "you are not spending a flight and nice weekend in Seattle with our Son on a new sail". She actually said "don't waste money on repairing that ratty old thing, buy the new sail." After I recovered from my utter astonishment I sort of blankly nodded at Kame and said gimme the new sail.
    It's that famous race! It is SUCH a chick magnet!

That's love.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    It's that famous race! It is SUCH a chick magnet!
    Huh, whaaat?!? Not a dude magnet, Jackie? I might have to rethink this race then.

Mike, give your wife an extra big hug. I've never heard that happening either!

Mike, You ARE the man !