Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SSS Drakess Bay Races Chatter

Red face 2016 SSS Drakess Bay Races Chatter

Okay, I'll try again. We're a week + 2 days away from the Drakes Bay Races. There's been some chatter over on Pressure Drop, so I thought opening a thread on the SSS site would be good, too. Info on where to anchor - and which boats to abuse while they're anchored on the PD site. As the race draws nearer, how about some chats about strategies/tactics/etc. Who's going? Who's crewing doublehanded? Plans for Saturday night at DB? Other than "follow the yellow boat" any tactics/strategies to share? And, as the date gets really close, ideas about wind? Pat "NANCY" #28890

Hi, Pat. Sorry for the delay. I considered posting on Sailing Anarchy but they scare me over there.

Dura Mater will not be following the yellow boat. Dura Mater follows all boats indiscriminately, regardless of color.

What is the Big Plan? To have enough wind to sail rather than motor. Oh my, wouldn’t that be a nice change? This is the third year of sailing to Drakes Bay, and I hope to arrive before dark. Last year I rafted up with Elise and Red Sky and Eyrie and Tortuga. Randy Leasure baked pizza and muffins. Seriously. Enjoyed sushi and fine accordion music.

I hope that whale from last year comes over to cozy up to DM again. And those flocks of birds as we entered the bay. Ooh. That was very cool. That’s our plan. Oh, and singlehanded. Of course. Because this is the Singlehanded Sailing Society, is it not?
    https://vimeo.com/179284925
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-17-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Hi Jackie - cool video with the music.
    This race is first time for me and I am curious where do you dock/anchor?
    Edited: Never mind: I searched old Drakes bay postings and found the answers
    Thx
    Last edited by Henry D; 08-19-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    Hi Jackie - cool video with the music.
    This race is first time for me and I am curious where do you dock/anchor?
    Edited: Never mind: I searched old Drakes bay postings and found the answers
    Thx
    Is Yvonne coming? Is she cooking? Why of course you raft up next to DM!

Henry & others, Anchor out. Sometimes raft up for dinner/social time, but usually go off and anchor overnight separately afterward. There's more "ripple" in Drakes Bay than it appears and rafting overnight often ends up being "bumpy" and uncomfortable. Anchor in 15 - 20' or so on the west side, north of the old fishing pier in sand/mud. There's grass closer to the old Coast Guard pier and poorer holding. It looks like the wind's going to be on the lighter side again this year, but it can blow hard through the anchorage if it's windy. We set an anchor alarm just in case, but have never dragged. It will be pretty clear what's going on when you arrive and see what other boats are doing anchor-wise.

She is not coming, so I guess I will have to anchor alone.
    Just finished some reading about the anchoring in Drakes bay and hope that it will be light.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    She is not coming, so I guess I will have to anchor alone.
    Just finished some reading about the anchoring in Drakes bay and hope that it will be light.
    Oh, you know I was kidding, right? My first Drakes Bay race was with Carliane on Dura Mater. We arrived in the dark and rafted up next to Krissy, bribed our way aboard with a good bottle of Pinot Noir and had a lovely dinner with Allan. Last year was a big raft up, Red Sky was the frat house and music went late. 2016 is a new year. Cruise around and decide for yourself. It is very lovely there.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Other than "follow the yellow boat" any tactics/strategies to share?
    I talked to the "yellow boat" skipper yesterday - he was reinstalling LIGHTSPEED's dingleballs and underwater lights for next weekend. It sounds like he has it all worked out - how much wind there will be, the currents, how he plans to exit the Bay, etc. But I'm not telling.

I reinstalled Rags' bobstay (among other things) so I can keep up with Henry.

Okay now we have a "colorful" parade to follow, since Jim Q is also sailing the race. Follow the "blue boat" following the "yellow boat" and for good measure follow the "green boat." My next boat is going to be painted "ecru" or "puce" so I can join the colorful parade. Enough with plain "white" boats that all look the same from a distance behind!

Sail Flow's suggesting light S/SW wind (okay,it's still a week out), but that would be interesting if it happened. A spinnaker parade up to Drakes Bay? More color to pay attention to and follow. There should be a place on Jibeset to list spinnaker colors. Or, everyone should be required to have a symbol on their chute identifying their boat. Like a "sea star" or a buffalo or maybe just a "RAGged" bunch of nylon fluttering in the wind.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything pertinent at the skippers meeting last night.

You guys didn't secretly change the starting location, right?

No real plan, just get out there and enjoy the day.

Last years Drakes was my first time flying (sort of) the spinnaker.
    If the forecast SW breeze holds true I should be able to set sooner and hopefully better last years time
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence