Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SSS Drakess Bay Races Chatter

For Saturday, got a very non-ideal start, because I was early, and the starboard boats were fast on starboard almost parallel to the line, so I basically, just went to the end of the line and started on port. However, it did not seem to make that big a difference. Perhaps, I was in less current initially. Then, sailed mostly light wind, on rhumbline to Drakes Bay. We were able to set a flat spinnaker for last 9 miles. It seemed early in race boats that had a "Code 0" were able to fly it, not sure how much it was helping. Genoa seemed better than jib, though. The GPS was not recording for a while during the first hour or so.

Name:  to_Drakes_Bay.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  43.6 KB

For Sunday, not much progress during the first hour or two. Eventually, we were able to set the asymmetric spinnaker. I do not know if inside or outside was favored, and I could not figure out when to jibe toward Pt. Bonita, so I just went when we arrived at the approximate line where Mr. Solo first jibed. The jibe angles look much more favorable than they felt, probably due to favorable current. A few firsts with this boat. First cooking, Indian Veges and left over sandwiches for dinner, Oatmeal & coffee for breakfast. First anchor and stay overnight. And .... first time sailing with spinnaker under GG back into bay w/o broaching or rounding down.

Name:  return.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  53.4 KB

A little more detail about the finish Sunday. We could not jibe to port as soon as we would have liked, because there was an outbound ship. I had already decided that I would just drop the spinnaker and finish with the main and jib, heard one of the SC 40's talking to RC about dropping spinnaker. But ... I saw Arcadia a little ahead of me, and they seemed to be doing ok, so I just kept going, and it got windier and windier and we kept heading up a little more to reach Pt Stuart. Fairly concerning. Pics should show the final path to finish plus speed diagram, current aided.

Name:  return detail_1.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  return detail_2.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Lovely photos, Greg! They are always perfectly centered and show the boats off to perfection! What kind of a camera do you use?
    This last batch I used my old, (I got a new Canon for my birthday, woo hoo!), Kodak Z812. It is an all in one and has a good zoom and image stabilization, so I don't have to be as close as with the iPhone.

Sailboats are amazing to photograph. Unless something tragic is happening, they are beautiful to see. Whether ghosting along in still water or blasting through the chop and swell.

It's challenging to get good ones while singlehanding.

"Sailboats are amazing to photograph. Unless something tragic is happening, they are beautiful to see. Whether ghosting along in still water or blasting through the chop and swell."

or even just sitting still.

Name:  raft.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  97.4 KB

More photos here. Lots of Nightmare, red white and blue on the water, Green Buffalo's crew and misc of lovely Drakes Bay and the trip there.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

more photos. See the Farallones in the background. what a nice weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hey !! Great photos Jackie !!!

thank you. I have a few more for you. will send 'em via email. I also have a very funny short video of you swatting yourself with your shirt trying to get rid of the flies. :-)
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-31-2016 at 06:58 PM.

This is a very cool photo, Todd. Thank you! that's Salty Hotel, Green Buffalo, Dura Mater, Fugu and Ragtime!