Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZYC Challenge - Sept 10

Oh my my! That took forever! I passed Nathan on my way to the Lightship. He was eating lunch and slouching in the cockpit while his unspinnaker flopped around. He promised me whales at the lightship, which were long gone two hours later by the time DM and I inched our way 'round it. Jeez Louise! That was tortuous! 5.5 hours out, 3 hours back. I can't remember how many times I tacked. Two thousand?

Then, when I poled out my jib and headed back I realized that I was headed straight for the waiting pilot boat, with a tanker coming out and a tanker coming in. I can just imagine the bar pilots inside:

"Could she be any dumber?"
    "Dunno. Let's watch and see what she does next."

And then. Shouldn't that wind have shut down by 7:30? Well, apparently not, because I really caught it in the slot and all the way home to Berkeley. 23 knots? Seriously? I'm tired! What a day. It was kinda cold, and almost drizzling the entire time after 4pm. Ate my ham and cheese sandwich then I felt nauseous. I had to turn up the zapper on my wrist thingie.

By the time I crashed into my dockbox back in Berkeley my legs were wobbly. In other words, DM and I experienced the range of the San Francisco Bay and Gulf of the Farallones all in the same day, and, of course, enjoyed ourselves enormously. Thank you again, Nathalie!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-11-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Bobbi called the Lightship course only for the OYRA big boats and multis so we had to bail on ZYC at the last minute. From the finish times it appears the three miles from Channel buoy #2 (our mark) to the Lightbucket was the slowest part. All of our Course 7 boats finished around 1400.

They don't let us have dockboxes at RYC - maybe your arrival method is the reason?
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.

On the way back from R2 I thought, we could have just sailed on out to the lightship and back passing R2 on the correct side completing both courses.
    R/C could have been irritated at us though. ;0

After finishing the race and putting my boat away, I ran into Nathalie Criou propped up on the breakwater outside the GGYC where she had served as singlehanded race committee all day, solely for the purpose of "trying to get more people involved in singlehanded racing". Amazing. Kudos to her - I hope she recruited a few more souls to give it a try.

I certainly enjoyed the trip out to SF and back, albeit under pretty light conditions past the approach channel. It took me forever to get around the mark, badly miss-judging the tack angle twice before finally clearing it.

With the copious time afforded me I took the opportunity to tune my autopilot settings (upwind and down), experiment with various spinnakers (I am not loving the A2 so far), and watch, sometimes scared shitless, the 10+ whales breaching closely around me.

I dropped outside the gate (because I am a wuss), and I watch with admiration as Domino blasted all the way home under full spinnaker. I guess he has had some practice lately...

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    After finishing the race and putting my boat away, I ran into Nathalie Criou propped up on the breakwater outside the GGYC where she had served as singlehanded race committee all day, solely for the purpose of "trying to get more people involved in singlehanded racing". Amazing. Kudos to her - I hope she recruited a few more souls to give it a try.

I certainly enjoyed the trip out to SF and back, albeit under pretty light conditions past the approach channel. It took me forever to get around the mark, badly miss-judging the tack angle twice before finally clearing it.

With the copious time afforded me I took the opportunity to tune my autopilot settings (upwind and down), experiment with various spinnakers (I am not loving the A2 so far), and watch, sometimes scared shitless, the 10+ whales breaching closely around me.

I dropped outside the gate (because I am a wuss), and I watch with admiration as Domino blasted all the way home under full spinnaker. I guess he has had some practice lately...
    Actually Serge Zavarin did help quite a bit with the race and took some pictures. All participants will receive them so long as I have their email address. I think I am missing yours though! I sent you a private message via this forum to give you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SailingNat View Post
    If you like single handed sailing and the lightship, ping me to hear about the most prestigious single handed event to the lightship this year
    https://vimeo.com/182437761

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Well DM has a new tiller, so if they run up my stern and dent it I'll be upset.
    Inquiring minds want to know how did DM's new tiller work out? It's just out of view in the nice video.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know how did DM's new tiller work out? It's just out of view in the nice video.
    I didn't trust that big Orion, and decided to save it for Half Moon Bay. It's beeeeautiful! I'll show it to you when I sail down your way. Maybe we can weave in and out of the moored boats off Capitola again. Bring Howard this time?
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-12-2016 at 04:39 PM.

nice video!!! I know this autopilot...