Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Half Moon Bay 2016

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

There was a drone in the start area , being operated by a guy on a bike at the very end of the seawall. If there was one outside the Gate, west of the bridge, that was a different one.

What a terrific, fun, interesting, frustrating race!

Spinnakers out the gate?!!

Fast reaching south. Couldn't hold the symmetrical so went with white sails.

And that wind hole. Yep, Brian called it earlier but I didn't listen. Saw a bunch of boats tacking west, but everything was going so well, until it wasn't. Dangit!!

Finally got back to the breeze, got a kite up and had a nice run to the finish.

Had a great time hanging out at the dock. Groovy dinner at the club, and cool new swag.

Nice gathering at the fire pit too.

A few photos to share too

Name:  100_2766.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  472.1 KBName:  100_2770.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  476.6 KBName:  100_2773.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  440.4 KBName:  100_2776.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  437.2 KBName:  100_2777.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  437.0 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Default 2016 SSS Half Moon Bay start from the GGYC race deck

Larry got some good photos out in the breeze! I was on the race deck at the start with my camera and iPhone and took pictures before, during, and after the start of the race. Posted here:
    http://www.pbase.com/estey/2016_sss_halfmoonbay&page=1

Sue Estey
    (Cloud, ex-Dazzler photographer)

We saw the drone west of GG bridge. It flew up behind me, seemed to hover, move around a bit, re-hover. I thought it might be taking photos, so I waved. I haven't seen any sign of anyone selling any photos.

Summary- great start, first at pin end with speed. I was in first place until Ragtime passed. Light was good for a photo, so I got out my phone.

Name:  Ragtime.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  2.36 MB

From the finish stories, it sounds like the winning strategy was to set spinnaker and keep using it all the way to the finish. Some how, I doused three times, once at the big shift just beyond lands end, once on a tight reach into the hole, and once at Buoy #1 at Half Moon Bay, when I should have just left it up to the finish.

This will be good practice for a race with 3 sets and 3 douses.

Name:  HMB.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.8 KB

Windtrip Infinity was feeling a little intimidated.

Name:  Steel Nuts.JPG
Views: 313

Steel Nuts crew rousted me about 6 to go fishing. I was awake any way.

Saw this bird at sunrise Half Moon Bay.

Name:  Bird Photo.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  752.8 KB

Motoring back on Sunday, the SF shoreline reminded me of a beach resort. Every little cove and beach from Crissy field out to Mile Rock had people, tents, swimmers, dogs, etc. There was a guy paddle surfing, no wet suit at fort point. And there was a raft of people floating in pool toys, Unicorns I think, just outside Mariner Cove.

Todd
    Last edited by todd22123; 09-26-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added GPS track

Thank you Sue for the Pictures!!!...Thank you and Tom on Cloud, Clif from Ranbown, David from Temerity, and Sam McFadden Olson 30 (Name??) under repair, for a great Race Deck start...And Clif for leading the drive to HMB to help with the finish...if you really want to learn about the big picture of racing please volinteer for the race deck at least once!....Rick/Lightspeed (I will be back!)

The photos are great ! I tried waving to the drone, then a variety of one hand gestures, the later slowed the drone to a stop and the camera simply stood still and stared. s/v Twist was out there, could she have been the operator ?

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    We saw the drone west of GG bridge. It flew up behind me, seemed to hover, move around a bit, re-hover. I thought it might be taking photos, so I waved. I haven't seen any sign of anyone selling any photos.

Summary- great start, first at pin end with speed. I was in first place until Ragtime passed. Light was good for a photo, so I got out my phone.

Name:  Ragtime.JPG
Views: 322

From the finish stories, it sounds like the winning strategy was to set spinnaker and keep using it all the way to the finish. Some how, I doused three times, once at the big shift just beyond lands end, once on a tight reach into the hole, and once at Buoy #1 at Half Moon Bay, when I should have just left it up to the finish.

This will be good practice for a race with 3 sets and 3 douses.

Name:  HMB.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.8 KB

Windtrip Infinity was feeling a little intimidated.

Name:  Steel Nuts.JPG
Views: 313

Steel Nuts crew rousted me about 6 to go fishing. I was awake any way.

Saw this bird at sunrise Half Moon Bay.

Name:  Bird Photo.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  752.8 KB

Motoring back on Sunday, the SF shoreline reminded me of a beach resort. Every little cove and beach from Crissy field out to Mile Rock had people, tents, swimmers, dogs, etc. There was a guy paddle surfing, no wet suit at fort point. And there was a raft of people floating in pool toys, Unicorns I think, just outside Mariner Cove.

Todd