Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In-The-Bay, only

Attempts to gather boats for the midwinters and the Silver Eagle taught me that our skippers are spur-of-the-moment, impulsive and independent. Jackie has a fancy word for it - which I've forgotten because when she told me I was already off onto something else and frankly didn't care what she thought...

Besides, I never sign anything.

Okay, I'll bow out. I was thinking something much more organized; a series of races where shorthanders would get their own start - and in the case of the SYC Twin Island races at least, a pause between crewed and shorthanded starts so we weren't mixing it up with the full crew boats for starting area space. When the discussion, sometime next year, comes round I'll see if what's decided on at that point can fit into my racing schedule. I usually get my schedule in order shortly after the YRA master list is published in January.

In the meantime I'll inform the SYC Race Committee that they shouldn't plan on a separate shorthanded division because I know they're getting their 2017 schedule near final form.

Gee Pat, I thought you knew me better than that. I think this can work but the serious part of my post is that our skippers don't tend to plan very far ahead.

As non-SSS races, the Berkeley Midwinters and Silver Eagle were promoted on this forum, on Facebook and by face-to-face invitation. I didn't know whether we'd have enough boats until shortly before registrations closed. Same with the singlehanded division for OYRA. We got just enough (5) boats for our own division and I'm hoping that grows for next year.

All to say, this forum is one place to promote this but I found it takes a sustained effort on multiple sites and you still end up having to wait and see who signs up.

I'm sorry you didn't get my humor (you're not the first one).
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-29-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I am interested in an "In The Bay Only" series for singlehanders and/or doublehanders...not run by the SSS. I say this understanding that I might have to miss a race due to other obligations. If such a series were assembled by one other organization, such as the SSC, then I'd expect to pay my registration nickel for the whole series. If such an organization didn't work out, then I'd be keen to just gather consensus on the board, here, on 3-4 races that we all agreed to do during the middle of the season.
    Alan, I would sign up just to see you on a boat again. The only time we met was that time in Sausalito in 2012 when you corrected me regarding the proper way to wear a harness. Do you remember? Whew! Glad I got that straightened out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-29-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Ha ha ha!!
    Ready to ascend DM's mast !

Seriously, I'm all for having options to fill out the sailing calendar.

I have enjoyed Berkeley's mid-winter series, short courses are quite busy.

IYC's Silver Eagle is a fun long course. Though I missed it this year,I will do this one again.

The OYRA single handed series has been great for getting more ocean miles under my keel.

If SYC has short hand division for the island races I would try to do those too. Sounds like a good long course.

With the SSS series too I have to be careful that I spend some time at home, so I might not get to do every race.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I have to be careful that I spend some time at home, so I might not get to do every race.
    Spending time at home. Yup. That's a tetchy subject.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Okay, I'll bow out. I was thinking something much more organized; a series of races where shorthanders would get their own start - and in the case of the SYC Twin Island races at least, a pause between crewed and shorthanded starts so we weren't mixing it up with the full crew boats for starting area space. When the discussion, sometime next year, comes round I'll see if what's decided on at that point can fit into my racing schedule. I usually get my schedule in order shortly after the YRA master list is published in January.

In the meantime I'll inform the SYC Race Committee that they shouldn't plan on a separate shorthanded division because I know they're getting their 2017 schedule near final form.
    Oh, I wouldn't bow out just yet, Pat! Bob was just joking. Let's give this a couple of weeks and see if anybody else responds re: the Twin Island series. I can commit to doing two of the three and would pay the $$ to register for the whole series.

That said, if five people don't commit well in advance, then it's nonsensical for the Club to make any special arrangements.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Alan, I would sign up just to see you on a boat again. The only time we met was that time in Sausalito in 2012 when you corrected me regarding the proper way to wear a harness. Do you remember? Whew! Glad I got that straightened out!
    Lass, you're gonna choke in that thing. LOL

I'd have been out there more this past season if the disaster of the Alameda Marina hadn't happened. I dropped a grand into a custom hoisting sling for the boat, which is now sitting in my garage. Without going into details, about $600 of that sling was the preposterously overbuilt and overdone spectra bridle that Easom Rigging did for me. But then they had me over a barrel. After Poland kicked me out of Alameda, I went to Brickyard Cove. Brickyard wouldn't allow me to launch there without a bridle/sling system that was approved by Scott, and then he built the most obscenely overpriced construction imaginable. I mean, it's beautiful, all hand-spliced, pre-stretched spectra and everything. If I really needed what he built, that'd be fine, but it's just way, way more than is necessary to get the job done. I could have made something perfectly adequate for 1/4 of the price at the West Marine rigging table out of s.s. wire and swaged fittings. Finally, after all that, it didn't quite fit under the Brickyard hoists arm. POW. Sorry. You're out $1,000 but can't launch on our hoist. See ya! I was not happy.

That $1,000 had to be saved up again to pay for a haulout, which is finally happening in about 3 weeks. I will be back on the water for some 2016-2017 midwinters.
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-30-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

2,000 posts - that's quite enough for awhile! I'll try to take a break and let Philpott, Sleddog and others catch up a bit. I hope more SSS'ers will stay in touch via this forum - it's fun knowing what's going on with you and your boat. Besides, there are white cup hooks to search for.

As for me, I'm thinking of double-handing next year for the first time. There are some of you I'd enjoy sailing with. If you'd like to be on my list to contact next year, please send me an e-mail: BobsailsSF at Yahoo.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    2,000 posts - that's quite enough for awhile!
    The member list is searchable (look under 'Community' tab), here are the top delinquents.

Name:  200.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  67.4 KB