Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In-The-Bay, only

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Dura Mater has had some pretty cool men crew over the years. Pat Broderick came with me a couple of years ago during a Berkeley Mid wins. I learned how to trim my sails for low wind. Al Germain came with me that one time when it got REAL WINDY AND REAL FOGGY at the end, and I remember laughing loudly and nervously with him as we tried to find the committee boat to finish. That was fun. My brother, Steve, came out with me and when he got tired of sitting up top, he went down and read Peter Heiberg's book in the cabin. I could hear him laughing from the cockpit. That was the time my starter got stuck "on", got hot and burned my exhaust tubing, which caused billowing black smoke to fill the cabin. Steve was calm: "That's your starter, Jack. Gotta remember to turn that off when you're done with it." So it has happened that DM has had male guests. Just not often. People I know? Either they want to sail their own boats or they are reluctant to get on a boat. They laugh nervously: "Um, does it lean over?" "Do you ever fall in?"
    No, but sometimes I push people in.

*cough*
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I figure that Nov - Feb is Midwinters time. It's just that the 3BF happens to fall right in there.

==================================

As a complete aside.... ONE MONTH TO HAULOUT. Finally. The whole Alameda Marina debacle has cost me 10 months of wasted time. All the $$ that might have gone into the haulout went into a custom hoisting sling that I can't use, now, so I've been saving my pennies since literally March.
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.

I'm all for more shorthanded racing opportunities. I'm not for this being part of the SSS. The SSS runs a series of races that over the decades has matured to not conflict many the many other sailing organizations out there. This is important for those that race both shorthanded, crewed and ocean. With with great coordination there are always conflicts. We have already added a full weekend of racing with the Drakes Bay 1 & 2.

So I'm for a group of shorthanders doing other races that already exist in a shorthanded class, an informal "in the bay" series - great. I'm not for adding any outside races to the SSS schedule and not for any additional season championship, i.e. having an additional "inside the bay championship". Too much dilution in my opinion..... your mileage may vary.

Aren't we really saying the same thing? If this causes an extra date conflict or two, just choose what you'd rather do that weekend.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-20-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I'm all for more shorthanded racing opportunities. I'm not for this being part of the SSS. The SSS runs a series of races that over the decades has matured to not conflict many the many other sailing organizations out there. This is important for those that race both shorthanded, crewed and ocean. With with great coordination there are always conflicts. We have already added a full weekend of racing with the Drakes Bay 1 & 2.

So I'm for a group of shorthanders doing other races that already exist in a shorthanded class, an informal "in the bay" series - great. I'm not for adding any outside races to the SSS schedule and not for any additional season championship, i.e. having an additional "inside the bay championship". Too much dilution in my opinion..... your mileage may vary.
    I completely agree.

I'm not looking for a separate "SSS-In the Bay Only Championship", nor am I suggesting that the SSS add more events. I'm just nosing around for events in the Bay that are likely to have a significant number of singlehanded or doublehanded boats to go out and play with.

i don't know where the discussion of an In-Bay shorthanded series has gone, but I approached the SYC Race Committee with proposal to add a shorthanded division to their 3-race Twin Island Series in 2017. They responded favorably, if there are 5 entrants.

The dates are April 29, July 15, October 14. Scheduling for 2017 is going on right now, and I don't know what dates the SSS is looking at for its races, so I don't know if there are conflicts.

The SYC Twin Island races start near Little Harding Rock with two possible courses. 1) Around Alcatraz and Angel Islands in either direction. 2) Up to Red Rock and back. They provide long legs without much tacking/jibing for shorthanded spinnaker work. The SYC is agreeable to a late start so the starting area would be clear. They'll also provide prizes. However, the Shorthanders would not be competing for the Twin Island Trophies (they're with spinnaker and without spinnaker divisions).

I think if folks from the SSS are interested i clobbering together a series, the discussion needs to get going quickly. Pat

That sounds good to me Pat. Those courses certainly work and it's usually an easy trip over from RYC to the Knox area. We'll see how the dates work out and who else is interested.

Thanks for talking with the SYC R/C and getting this set up.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    i don't know where the discussion of an In-Bay shorthanded series has gone, but I approached the SYC Race Committee with proposal to add a shorthanded division to their 3-race Twin Island Series in 2017. They responded favorably, if there are 5 entrants.

The dates are April 29, July 15, October 14. Scheduling for 2017 is going on right now, and I don't know what dates the SSS is looking at for its races, so I don't know if there are conflicts.

The SYC Twin Island races start near Little Harding Rock with two possible courses. 1) Around Alcatraz and Angel Islands in either direction. 2) Up to Red Rock and back. They provide long legs without much tacking/jibing for shorthanded spinnaker work. The SYC is agreeable to a late start so the starting area would be clear. They'll also provide prizes. However, the Shorthanders would not be competing for the Twin Island Trophies (they're with spinnaker and without spinnaker divisions).

I think if folks from the SSS are interested i clobbering together a series, the discussion needs to get going quickly. Pat
    For me personally, the April and July dates will work. The April weekend is the Woodland Highland Games, but us old farts compete on Sunday. The only issue is that the April date might conflict with the YRA Vallejo race?? July should be good for moi.

The second weekend in October is the Seaside Highland Games in Ventura, and I do the Old Man Road Trip from Hell with my friend Marty. We drive down to Santa Barbara on Friday and crash at his friend Ians house. We eat massive steaks, lounge in the hot tub and tell lies about our wives. Then on Saturday we strap on kilts, drive 45 minutes down to Ventura and go throw. Saturday night is more hot tub lounging and protein intake. On Sunday we drive back down to Ventura, watch the lasses throw and make "comments" from the peanut gallery. We always stop for lunch at the Madonna Inn on the way back up. Sailing is fun, but I can't pass on this!
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Back to the idea of a "Shorthanded In-Bay Series." There doesn't seem to be much interest among the SSSers who read this thread. So, maybe there's not enough interest to expend the energy to organize one? I don't think we're going to find a group/series of races that will fit everyone's schedules. It's Oct. 1 (almost) and although "Summer" racing doesn't officially begin until May 1, the time is now to carve out the races that work best and begin getting the word out to potential participants. Before their Sailing Summer gets filled up with other obligations.

Can we begin with a list of folks who'd like to participate? Doesn't have to be signed in blood, bottom paint, or winch grease, but an idea of who might be interested would be a starting point. Pat B.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Back to the idea of a "Shorthanded In-Bay Series." There doesn't seem to be much interest among the SSSers who read this thread. So, maybe there's not enough interest to expend the energy to organize one? I don't think we're going to find a group/series of races that will fit everyone's schedules. It's Oct. 1 (almost) and although "Summer" racing doesn't officially begin until May 1, the time is now to carve out the races that work best and begin getting the word out to potential participants. Before their Sailing Summer gets filled up with other obligations.

Can we begin with a list of folks who'd like to participate? Doesn't have to be signed in blood, bottom paint, or winch grease, but an idea of who might be interested would be a starting point. Pat B.
    I am interested in an "In The Bay Only" series for singlehanders and/or doublehanders...not run by the SSS. I say this understanding that I might have to miss a race due to other obligations. If such a series were assembled by one other organization, such as the SSC, then I'd expect to pay my registration nickel for the whole series.

If such an organization didn't work out, then I'd be keen to just gather consensus on the board, here, on 3-4 races that we all agreed to do during the middle of the season.