Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

"What I saw" yesterday was Philpott roaming the docks at RYC. Her boat is up-the-Delta but she came over to see if maybe the dock lines had fallen in the water. Oh, and there was something about getting her car. Anyway, it was good because I wanted her opinion about a fabric sample. Shot down it was.

We discussed the relative merits of sailing in place... er, sheltering in place, then she left her unfinished coffee on Surprise!'s fan tail and wandered off.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-20-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I have had a diesel leak since Hawaii, they have got me motivated to get on the boat and get that damn thing fixed.
    Hey Mike, I had more than a "diesel leak" since Hawaii - in fact my diesel died last August on the way to Catalina. Spent the last three months of 2019 pulling my 35yr old Universal Model 40 and dropping in a new Beta Marine 35. That last sentence makes it sound so easy - not! So now it's finely more or less running again but here in San Diego we can't even leave the dock so I just start it every couple of weeks with the docklines firmly attached and listen to the red beast purr. Haven't raised a sail in eight months.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "What I saw" yesterday was Philpott roaming the docks at RYC. Her boat is up-the-Delta but she came over to see if maybe the dock lines had fallen in the water. Oh, and there was something about getting her car. Anyway, it was good because I wanted her opinion about a fabric sample. Shot down it was. We discussed the relative merits of sailing in place... er, sheltering in place, then she left her unfinished coffee on Surprise!'s fan tail and wandered off. .
    On my way to RYC I drove by downtown Richmond Point, which I am starting to love. Grocery shopped at the market on the corner, bought a slice at Extreme Pizza and then walked 'round the corner to Louie's, where I waited six feet away from all the bicyclists to order my latte.

Okay, I'll bite: Bob scored some fancy silkie type fabric from a client of his, the same kind of material that Larry Ellison used for the inside of his own yacht, which is slightly bigger and fancier than Surprise! He asked my opinion of it and I responded with a "meh!"

I suggested he ask Synthia, she of the perfect wisdom ("all you need to sail across an ocean is chocolate and coffee"). Synthia will know what color and type of fabric. Bob wasn't sure he liked the color, either, but he wants to be able to say, "Oh, yes, Larry and I used the same fabric."

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George bought the car because the salesman told him it had been owned by Jon Voigt? Then he bragged about it? Yeah. Kinda like that, only even more esoteric. Those yacht owners. They know how to spend money.

Bob and I got all philosophical about life and then I walked down the dock to talk with Howard, leaving my latte behind.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Hey Mike, I had more than a "diesel leak" since Hawaii - in fact my diesel died last August on the way to Catalina. Spent the last three months of 2019 pulling my 35yr old Universal Model 40 and dropping in a new Beta Marine 35. That last sentence makes it sound so easy - not! So now it's finely more or less running again but here in San Diego we can't even leave the dock so I just start it every couple of weeks with the docklines firmly attached and listen to the red beast purr. Haven't raised a sail in eight months.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37
    San Diego
    Oh, I'll bet that was fun. I don't like that number though...35 years. Jacqueline was built in June 86 so I am coming up on that milestone before very long. She has her original 2GM20F. I may wind up electrifying under duress. If I was forced into a new engine I think I would go green. Literally and figuratively.

What does the Delta look like during the Great Pandemic of 2020? The sky is still blue, the herons are still annoyed with the humans and the grasses still sway in the wind. People are sensible here. They keep their distance, but still smile, as Delta people tend to do. And in April? It's still a bit chilly at night, but today it was hot enough for the chocolate to soften.

The wind comes from different directions in April than during the summer, the same as in the Bay area. Mount Diablo is always there in the distance, across the alfalfa fields along Owl Harbor's gardens and clearly visible all along the San Joaquin River.

Name:  Mt Diablo.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  432.3 KB

Last week I met the neighbors. There I am, washing up my dishes from dinner in my little galley, when I look out my companionway to see three singlehanders come back in from sailing! 17 knots. Good wind. They all turned in to their slips on the dock next door: H dock. I walked over.

"Hi, guys!"

There is a Newport 30, then a Nonesuch 30, then a Newport 28. Right next to each other. Turns out they all come down to their boats Thursday night and sail around out on the San Joaquin River. Do they race? Nah. Nothing like that. They just follow each other around.

Will they be here next Thursday? Sure! What a coincidence. So will Dura Mater! We all agreed that singlehanded sailing is essential to our wellbeing.

At 3:30 yesterday I saw that they were preparing their boats. I called down from the levee road: "What time are you going out?"

"4:00"

Excellent! I'll go out, too. Just go sailing around. Right?

So I raised Dura Mater's sail, reefing because it was windy, and we followed them out. I hoped they had deeper drafts than me, because it can get really shallow at the entrance to Seven Mile Slough.

Well, once they had raised their sails in the San Joaquin River, the hell it wasn't a race! They were off, into the white caps and against the building flood. So I tried to keep up, and they tried to shake me. At least that's how it seemed. They went through Santa Clara shoal. I followed. They turned to port past Bradford Island. I followed. Tack, tack and tack again.

Name:  Not a Race.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  281.8 KB

We were shoved sideways by the wind to begin with, and further sideways by the flood. An hour into the non race we had sailed 2.6 miles. These Delta sailors, they're used to tacking.

They kept looking back to see if I was keeping up. I was sure trying. The wind was 15 knots gusting to over 20. It was SO MUCH FUN! We finally circled green channel marker #25 to starboard, than headed back.

Name:  Heading to the barn after rabbit start nonrace.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  246.9 KB

By the time we reached Seven Mile Slough again we had sailed 16.7 nm. By the time we reached our slips back in Owl Harbor, the sun was setting.

Name:  sunset Owl Harbor2 041520 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  217.1 KB

There's wind here, and singlehanders. But nobody's racing. Seriously.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-24-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Thursday at four huh? Well, I'll have to come from down South and give you guys some more competition... I mean camaraderie.

BTW, Your last visit inspired me to completely rebuild my dock, you are welcome to enjoy the upgraded facilities any time.

just as long as you understand it's not a race. What is it they say in my detective novels? "Come alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What does the Delta look like during the Great Pandemic of 2020? ...

By the time we reached Seven Mile Slough again we had sailed 16.7 nm. By the time we reached our slips back in Owl Harbor, the sun was setting.

Name:  sunset Owl Harbor2 041520 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  217.1 KB

There's wind here, and singlehanders. But nobody's racing. Seriously.
    That's a lovely sunset. I wish the Piper was ready, I could come out and play with you guys.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Last edited by everydaysailor; 04-27-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: vimeo not showing

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    Nice to see boats out again. Thanks for the video, everyday sailor!