Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    You must have your copy of Strunk & White close by or memorized. Engineers were not allowed to buy the book.
    In Estonia?

Hey, that's me! I saw you motoring back in. It was slo-o-o-oww. Nice, but slow.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Fourth of July 2020 in Monterey

Arrived yesterday to find signs at entrances to Monterey beaches read "Beaches closed July 4 and 5th". This morning the number "3" had been added to every sign, indicating that the beaches were closed July 3-5. However, the Wharf was open, albeit while wearing masks

Name:  IMG_8535.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  387.4 KB

The entire Del Monte Beach was closed. Except for persons entering the water. Huh?

Apparently the beaches are open to surfers. And people attending kayak classes.

Name:  IMG_8533 (2).JPG
Views: 940
Size:  190.0 KB

And to people with oceanfront accommodations

Name:  IMG_8531 (2).JPG
Views: 993
Size:  185.4 KB

Also, I notice wryly, for women wearing bikinis. Oh, did I forget to capture those images? Sorry.

Luckily, for all the (many) families who arrived in Monterey hoping to go to the beach, the Estero offered a way to get on the water

Name:  IMG_8538 (2).JPG
Views: 940
Size:  268.5 KB

Certainly it was a thankless task for the very polite officers who patrolled the beach on their dune buggies wearing those hot helmets. And masks.

When I was a kid, my parents thought I should take up tennis. So I had tennis lessons, several summers. I actually played tennis off and on for about 5-6 years. I'd take my racket and some balls down to the high school courts, riding my bike and whack them around for a while. The thing is, I really never got to be very good. One summer, my parents decided that I should take sailing lessons at the Monterey Peninsula YC. We learned in El Toro's of course. I feel sorry for the guy who was our instructor. Anyway, I learned the basics, but when it was over. I didn't have a sailboat, what to do? So a couple of times, my dad drove me down to the Estero, and rented what was essentially an El Toro knockoff sailboat. I must have gone out maybe all of 2-3 times, but I remember sailing...barely....around the Estero.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    ...... I remember sailing...barely....around the Estero.
    Oh, I'd love to see a photo of that! Little Alan sailing in an el Toro knockoff. Cuuuuute! Kinda like this?

https://vimeo.com/393085123

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, I'd love to see a photo of that! Little Alan sailing in an el Toro knockoff. Cuuuuute! Kinda like this?

https://vimeo.com/393085123
    Oh much less exciting than that!....and these little fiberglass boats were pretty beat up, if memory serves.

My dad wasn't the type to think "Father-son project, build a boat!" but I might have gone for it, if he had been.

Dura Mater gettin' it done at the RYC Beer Can last night:

Name:  DM Beer Can 1.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  315.0 KBName:  DM Beer Can 2.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  82.6 KB

Photos by Ornaith

Those are some beautiful pictures!!

This was an eerie day for sure. Here is the RYC marina

Name:  RYC Armageddon - Copy.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  238.2 KB

I went down to add teenie cleats to my tiller and found that Dura Mater had a heavy, silt-like layer of soot on everything. Not a good night to have left the sail cover off :-((

As I walked to my car the faithful began to arrive for the Wednesday night buoy races.

When you take all the color out of the light all your left with in black and white