Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Especially for you gearheads out there:

https://yachtsmanmagazine.com/what-i...e-philpott-25/
    When I reached the Navik story I was outraged. The Wife surreptitiously sells her Husband's precious windvane without his knowledge???!!! And Jackie Philipot quickly loads the plundered cargo into her car so as to escape retribution!!??

It may well have been stashed unused in the back of the garage for a decade but that means NOTHING as I well know. For God's sake, he may have been dreaming about the South Pacific or New Zealand or racing singlehanded to Hawaii. Now, tragically, those dreams are tattered, laid waste, over, kaput and generally not achievable.

The Humanity....

Otherwise I thought is was a fantastic article, thanks for sharing.

hehehe Thanks, Mike. I still have your diesel container, plundered when I visited the Cunningham YC back in 2018. Every time he sees it, Bob J asks, "when are you going to return that?" As if.

Glen Garfein (pronounced Garfeen) is a fine photographer and member of Berkeley Yacht Club. Here is a series of photos he took from the BYC markset boat during the recent Berkeley Midwinters. Glen tells me we are welcome to his photos because he is only an amateur photographer. Ha! You coulda fooled me. Here they are:

https://www.mpal.pictures/BYC-Photos...ry-2024-Sunday
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-27-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Page Not Found.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Page Not Found.
    Try this one: https://www.mpal.pictures/BYC-Photos
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-28-2024 at 02:54 PM.

This post should be titled "What I didn't See", for the following reason:
    My friend, Kees, flew out from Mississippi to sail in the Fiasco with me. He expected a tshirt, loved the one I gave him from 2023. I agreed that he would, of course, receive one.

Only problem? I can't seem to buy one online. Has anyone out there been able to obtain a Fiasco shirt? I tried repeatedly to buy one before the race, then afterwards I called. Pirates Lair offered a recorded message, encouraged me to leave one myself. So I did. About a month later I got a voice mail saying that my phone call had been received. Nothing more than that.

https://store.pirateslair.com/sss-th...mens-tech-tee/

I tried again today to buy one online. The Men's Size L Fiasco hi tec shirt looks great on the site, but it never makes it into my cart.

Kees has informed me that "you shouldn't make promises you can't keep". Huh. He's right, of course.

What ever am I doing wrong? Any advice?
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-11-2024 at 01:34 PM.

In January, my order seemed to go fine. Today, the status is ‘awaiting fulfillment’. Maybe most of the shirts are stuck behind Yerba Buena island?

Sam

That's interesting. Not ten minutes after I posted here Ken from Pirates Lair called me on my phone, took my order, promised to mail it to Oxford, Mississippi. Proof that there are still sentimentalists who read this old-fashioned Forum. Primarily for Skip, but also as an alternative Yelp.

While I'm here, I have a post in the And They Said It Couldn't Be Done column:

Over the weekend I invited Greg Ashby s/v Akuma, Jan Hirsch s/v Sweet Pea and Jim Quanci s/v Green Buffalo, to race in the Big Daddy regatta out of Richmond Yacht Club. No engine? No problem.

Name:  image_50427393 - Copy.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  281.4 KB

Good thing there was wind.
    Four singlehanders on one boat?! Was it crowded in the cockpit? Why, yes. Yes it was.
    Thank you to my dockmate, Sam Turner s/v Frances, for the first two photos.

Name:  image_67160577 - Copy.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  324.8 KB

Did we fight over the tiller? No, although Jan did mention something about my derriere getting in the way of making way. We sailed out of the slip, back into it, and sailed effortlessly in between.

Name:  image_123650291 - Copy.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  279.6 KB

Three fine guests aboard Dura Mater, and she was delighted to have them. Thank you, gentlemen. It was a pleasure.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-11-2024 at 05:19 PM.

In Big Daddy we went clockwise, circled Alcatraz and - WAIT! WHAT!? - the rest of the world was on starboard.

Name:  IMG_6279 - Copy.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  1.62 MB

If anybody knows this SSS-registered boat, here's a nice photo of his/her boat s/v LULU

Name:  IMG_6283 - Copy.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  262.0 KB

"Oh, look at the cute little furling line," he said.

Name:  IMG_6315.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  3.08 MB