Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Sorry to crash Jackie's other thread but I don't know where else to put this.

The boat on the right looks vaguely familiar...

Name:  What Boat.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  171.0 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-01-2020 at 11:19 AM.

[QUOTE=BobJ;27601]]Sorry to crash Jackie's other thread but I don't know where else to put this.The boat on the right looks vaguely familiar... ]

This thread title is a good one, huh? Very inclusive and meant for just this purpose. Now: what are you getting at?

Met Mike Pyzel yesterday, spent two hours first at my boat then at his (Cal 28, the same boat he did the 1978 SSS Transpac on).

Name:  704676C8-B907-4734-AF36-6437DFDAA34E.jpeg
Views: 627
Size:  93.3 KB

We admired each other’s boat extravagantly and I scored some additional anchor rode the he had in storage and I needed for Santa Cruz Island.

Name:  60654842-FAAE-4B21-8567-8CA7A273B9FA.jpeg
Views: 647
Size:  106.2 KB

We agreed to a price for this brand new marked rope and both came away happy.

I plan to eat lunch or dinner somewhere with wifi. Master Mariners r in town, every slip is booked.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-15-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Jackie asked if I knew anything about the small plane crash near Goleta that had recently happened near her position as she passed Goleta. Here it is: https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/lo...rt/3557344001/

The new Fugu paint job looks great. Now I have the most beat up boat on E dock. Name:  fugu.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  383.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    The new Fugu paint job looks great. Now I have the most beat up boat on E dock.]
    A beat up boat is a boat that shows character. Now Chris will live in fear during raft ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    The new Fugu paint job looks great. Now I have the most beat up boat on E dock. Name:  fugu.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  383.6 KB
    Chris, Fugu new color looks great. We all need to admit Flash Girl is the king of Red Boats, Gordy Yellow, and Surprise Blue (my favorite color). I have always strongly disagreed with the old boat color saying “there are only two boat colors white and wrong”

Thanks for the compliments! Fugu deserved an upgrade! Now I am in the "let's put off the first scratch as long as we can phase!"
    I have been very careful docking since the paint job. I bought more fenders, and fender covers of all things!!

Bob J has the hookup for getting those covers monogrammed ��

Fantastic color choice! FUGU looks great!

Mr. Hedgehog and I observed FUGU coming back into the dock very slowly yesterday afternoon.

And yes, I think gold lettering on light-coloured fuzzy covers would look good - not too much contrast to take your eyes away from the hull.

I suppose the peer pressure will require a wash for Dura Mater upon her return. Skip warned me off this spot just above Santa Barbara: "If you go Cojo direct to Santa Barbara, give a wide berth at Coal Oil Point (Goleta) due to continual oil seepage that will turn your white hull gooey black."

Well, we headed out, but that is where the pilot and plane had just gone down. There were three sheriffs' boats out there, and a helicopter on its way. So they shepherded us right into ... the dreaded Coal Oil Point. Did DM acquire gooey black seepage? Why, yes, she sure did! Here she is in Frys Harbor, Santa Cruz Island.

Name:  Dura Mater straightened - Copy.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  360.6 KB

In fact, everything Skip predicted came true. I will share his advice eventually. This bit was most appreciated:

"Given the forecast, nothing you encounter travelling from Monterey to San Simeon will be much different from the summer afternoon wind you have encountered in the slot."

Well, that bit about the wind was true. The swell was more impressive than that encountered in the SF Bay, but we have encountered swell as big a couple of times just outside the gate.

So anyway, I'll have to use GoofOff to tackle the Goleta Goop. Never will DM be able to compete with FUGU or Surprise! nor any one of those many Alerion 28s sprinkled around Docks D and E. But that's okay. Until Jonathan does a re-do of Stink Eye we are in good company.