Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Thanks, Ants!

Macapunoless again, but I have a story:

Yesterday the SSS sent Cliff off to the Polynesian Islands in style. Brad Belleville sailed over from the Estuary aboard his Beneteau encore!

Name:  Brad on encore!.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  2.66 MB

Greg Ashby towed his speed demon Akumu down from Goldrush Country, launched her, and met us near the north tower. It was pretty bouncy, so I missed a photo of him once we entered the Golden Gate.

Name:  Randy driving Green Buffalo.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  227.9 KB

Randy Leisure motored over from RYC aboard The Buffalo. He looked good at the helm but it seemed a bit odd to see the big green boat without its sails up. Well, that was soon remedied: Seems Jim was below being inspected by SHTP Chair, David Herrigel. In the interest of saving time and all that. Why be inspected at the dock when you can go sailing and accompany a friend out the Gate? As soon as Jim and David appeared, up went the mainsail. Aaaahhh. That looked better.

Newish SSS member and singlehander Chris Holbrook was out there just south of Angel Island, minding his own business aboard Mutual Fun, his Newport 30-2. We hailed him and invited him to join us. Here he is.

Name:  Chris Holbrook on Mutual Fun.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  386.5 KB

And Dura Mater was out there with her new mainsail by Dave Hodges. There was enough breeze to justify reefing, but ah heck, let’s see what she’s got. Here’s a photo from Randy. She’s such a sweet fat boat, we all did fine, even though it doesn't look like it.

Name:  Dura Mater accompanying Cliff out the gate photo by Randy Leisure - Copy.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  267.6 KB

While waiting for the show to begin Carliane sat at the mast drinking tea. Oh, dear. It was a little chilly. So Cecily Knepprith turned to port. There you are. On the sunny side again. Carliane thought that was mo betta.

Name:  Carliane aboard DM .JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  482.5 KB

It was a very nice day and now Cliff is offshore, on his own. If you would like to follow his tracker, here it is:
    https://share.garmin.com/CliffordShaw

I asked him if he plans to write? “Not really”

I asked him if he will call when he arrives? “I don’t think so”

Will he take photographs? “Probably not.”

Huh. What a throwback to an earlier era is Cliff, compared to today’s culture of “If there’s no photo it didn’t happen”.

I had a very nice time because Cecily was my slave – er, crew for the day. “Pull that blue line!” “Not that blue line! The other blue line!” “Make us some tea, please!” Cecily was great. She has been sailing in the SSS races doublehanded aboard Grant Kiba’s 911 Take Five More. Look at the race results: They’ve been doing quite well. I have a feeling that she won’t be willing to be my slave for much longer.

More photos on the next post.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-02-2023 at 07:10 PM.

Here are some more photos from yesterday, when we accompanied Cliff out the Gate.

Name:  Green Buffalo accompanying Rainbow out the gate.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  354.6 KB

It was a glorious day: Windy! Blue sky! And five sailboats saying goodbye to a friend. Cliff says he'll be back in October.

and they're OFF!

Name:  Rainbow on her way.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  226.5 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-02-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Dura Mater has become a "go fast" sailing machine! The new main and jib are BEAUTIFUL. And I hear she has a new "go fast" bottom too. Next stop Hawaii? :-)

As for Cliff... I hear his first stop is...

Per wikipedia...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuku_Hiva

Nuku Hiva (sometimes spelled Nukahiva or Nukuhiva) is the largest of the Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia, an overseas country of France in the Pacific Ocean. It was formerly also known as Īle Marchand and Madison Island.

Herman Melville wrote his book Typee based on his experiences in the Taipivai valley in the eastern part of Nuku Hiva. Robert Louis Stevenson's first landfall on his voyage on the Casco was at Hatihe'u, on the north side of the island, in 1888.

Great Circle Route San Francisco to Nuku Hiva is 2,969 nm. Maybe a month voyage... that is more north to south and less east to west.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...2!2d-8.8604808

Thanks for the photos.i said adios to Rainbow after tuning up some electronics at the dock. She, the boat, was very well prepared.

Great pictures. What a fun and beautiful sailing day this was! In addition to seeing all the SSS friends, it was particularly special with the bay full of birds, harbor porpoises, sea lions, and a humpback whale (https://youtu.be/CZYjORVEVXA). I had a real laugh at Jackie's nervous statement-not-really-question at the end when she asked how deep it was where the whale dove. "So he could........come up"

All sorts of SSSers in here. Steve Hill was treasurer in 2009. He sent me my burgee when I joined. Steve Buckingham aka Tchoupitoulas, then Starbuck, is temporarily boatless, and has been working on the Race Deck this year. Bob Johnston has been snagged by RYC and is currently Rear Commodore, with several years of blazer-wearing to go.

https://yachtsmanmagazine.com/what-i...e-philpott-15/
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-29-2023 at 08:38 AM.

The Voice of Reason and I took a ride to the CBC yesterday and found Skip up on his roof with friend Fox, trying to find a leak in the roof.

"Hey, you guys! Come on down here right now! I want my macapuno!"

I met Fox years ago at one of Skip's birthday parties, but he didn't stay long. Before it became the Capitola Boat Club, the building was already famous, locally known as "The House that Fox Built". But that's another story.

Name:  At the CBC.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  240.3 KB

This story concerns the fact that Skip gave me one each of his two books. I am very excited to own them because they are limited editions and signed by the author. Amazingly, and despite the fact that the Dazzlers visited only three days ago, there was still Macapuno in the freezer. In fact, there were two tubs/half gallons of it. Maybe there were three when they arrived? I don't know. There was no evidence, no dribbles around the refrigerator.

Name:  IMG_4379.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  292.0 KB

Coloring the pages requires serious research: https://www.allturtles.com/turtle-species/

I have to read the texts carefully to decide which kinds of turtle and bear are George and Robert. Turtles in particular are so very exotic looking, with beautiful shells. I need to carefully consider their personalities. I can't just choose ordinary turtle and bear colors. These two are a sailing duo. Besides, what does it mean to be an "ordinary" talking turtle or bear? Sailors yourselves, I'm sure you understand my quandary. What colors would you choose for yourself?

Name:  Colors for George and Robert.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  374.2 KB

I'm leaning toward jade green for George and french grey for Robert. Skip asks me to consider using watercolors but I don't think the paper is the right type. What do you all think?

By the way, I asked whether Intermission had come by to collect his macapuno. Skip replied,

"Not yet. All he has to do is call and set up a time."

Then we all went down to the waterfront and had lunch together.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-03-2023 at 10:13 PM.

Need new interior upholstery for your boat? Look no further than North Beach Canvas. And no, she doesn't do canvas anymore. That is the mystery of Liz.

Regardless, read to the end:

https://yachtsmanmagazine.com/what-i...e-philpott-16/

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    By the way, I asked whether Intermission had come by to collect his macapuno. Skip replied,

"Not yet. All he has to do is call and set up a time."
    <sigh> I know, I know . . . Not for lack of desire; when school is out, and my first mate is available weekdays, I will make the call and then the journey.