Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Thirty plus years ago, I would leave my boat at the Outrigger.
    The place was funky even then; but they had water under their docks, and was a reasonable drive back to the bay area.
    They had fuel and ice and a cafe.
    There were separate pumps for "pre-mix, 50-1" two cycle fuel, since two cycle engines outnumbered four cycle by a wide margin.
    There was a bar looking out through all those boarded up windows, and the bartender would hit a button if anyone came by too fast activating a rotating beacon on the roof with a loud siren, which would slow most passer-bys real quick.
    Around the corner, those slips at Brannon island were something on the order of .25 cents a foot, or about $6.50 a night for my 26' sloop.
    Earlier this summer on a short trip to the Delta, I had wanted to go there, but heat, time and weather prevented me from going in deeper, and now after seeing these pictures, I'm glad I didn't.

Default Synthia, Captain of the Sea Squirrel

I've got lots of videos and photos from Hanalei Bay. Here's one. There will be more. hehehe

https://vimeo.com/286094232

One of the things I like about the Delta is the occasional abandonment one comes across. Abandoned docks and homes and buildings and whole islands are out there. Somehow these artifacts spark my imagination. What was it like, who owned them, what happend? I used to be a memeber of the Stockton Sailing Club and had a slip at the marina at Buckley Cove. On my way down there from the Bay I would pass by a place on the North side of the Stockton deepwater channel at the West end of Morrison Island. The owner had a delta shack on piers over the water with a big whaleboat style lifeboat out front - no power, no water, just a wooden shack. It looked cool as hell but definately had some Huck Finn design input. Despite the look of the place there was always a fresh crisp American flag flying on a pole out front. Years ago there was a big fire that burned the whole thing down. The ruins can still be seen, it was never rebuilt.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 08-22-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Here’s that pretty nesting dinghy I saw tucked away in the PT Watercraft workroom back when I visited Port Townsend in March of this year. At the time Russell and Ashlyn were preparing for the R2AK (which Russell crushed single handed, btw). Here he is floating around and then sailing one of their signature dinghies. What a little beauty, huh?

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...ailing-dinghy/

That's a sweet little dink.
    Did you see the video of the woman who rowed one in the 70/48? !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    That's a sweet little dink.
    Did you see the video of the woman who rowed one in the 70/48? !!
    Yes, I was there when she finished. Russell and Ashlyn were there waiting w a crowd of very enthusiastic supporters. They sort of enveloped her. PT Watercraft has a serious following in that town. It's as if it belongs to the town, like a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Here’s that pretty nesting dinghy I saw tucked away in the PT Watercraft workroom back when I visited Port Townsend in March of this year. At the time Russell and Ashlyn were preparing for the R2AK (which Russell crushed single handed, btw). Here he is floating around and then sailing one of their signature dinghies. What a little beauty, huh?

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...ailing-dinghy/
    Yeah, that's the PT 11. Pretty darned sweet little boat.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Vallejo 1-2 photos

Here are some photos from the weekend trek to Vallejo and back. Certainly there was time to take more, but it was so pretty both days that I sorta forgot.

Here are photos of Duende on Saturday. I think that might be Sobrante behind. Not bad considering the difference in waterline. Of course Cal 40s ARE heavier than Alerion 28s ;-)

I had the chance to talk with Philip Lavelle early Sunday morning on the deck of the Vallejo Yacht Club. We watched as his son, Pepe, emerged sleepy eyed from the cabin. According to his father, Pepe is Duende's autopilot, which may explain how they were able to finish the race with time to spare. A fine reason to have children.

Name:  IMG-4038.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  217.2 KB

and here:

Name:  IMG-4039.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  212.6 KB

Here is Greg Ashby s/v Nightmare photographing me photographing him:

Name:  Rick photographing me.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  197.0 KB

Below is Daniel on Galaxsea with Big Red up:

Name:  Daniel w Big Red up.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  215.1 KB

I recognize Sweet Pea and Rainbow here:

Name:  Rainbow and Sweet Pea.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  153.9 KB

and then I sat back and ate my lunch.

l
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-23-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: no sea turtle

That one of "Rick" with the red, white, and blue tri-radial kite is actually Nightmare.

Yep that is Greg! Koke Honu Spin is Hot Green with Honu Name:  EFF49169-F9C9-46C4-BD61-EEA91757EAF7.jpeg
Views: 560
Size:  791.3 KB