Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Thanks so much Jackie. Kind of makes you wish you were still there in that "other" world.

DolfinBill

Indeed. That lovely image is a keeper!

Lovely photo Jackie ��

“It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head.”
    – Henri Cartier-Bresson

Glad you got to Sam's. He has a helluva nice place there. Tuning up here for ye Fiascoe. SDK

Dura Mater is sidelined until Friday when Carliane is coming over to help me re-install the old rudder. Hopefully the new rudder will arrive posthaste from Southern California. Mr Donald Proul of Foss Company sent me this email: “I have ordered the metal and you are on the schedule.” Oh, be still my heart.

Since DM and I can’t actually sail, time has been spent … wandering further down E dock to where Bob Johnston was hoisting a new reacher that he bought from Joe Barry s/v Pakele. Pretty gorgeous.

Name:  unnamed - Copy.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  563.6 KB

… and begging a ride from Steve Katzman s/v Dianne. There was very little wind so we practiced COB (cushion overboard) drills and slouched in the sunshine.

Name:  sail on Dianne.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  35.8 KB

I did learn how to use the hoist over in Brickyard Cove. Very cool to use a hoist to lift such a huge weight, and equally impressive was to see Sam Mcfadden’s s/v Dragonsong at the dock just behind Dianne.

Name:  Dragonsong and Sam.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  260.9 KB

Name:  Dragonson image.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  174.8 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-01-2019 at 10:34 AM.

04.26.19 Driving around in Madison, Wisconsin with the Rodeo Queen

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  463.5 KB

and what do we stumble upon? A pile of boats stacked up in the yard of an old office building. BRAKE! Make an illegal U turn and turn into a driveway with a sign we ignore. NO TRESPASSING. Seriously? Who do they think they are?

Behind the building we find Whitney Johnson and Dan Jenkins, stirring bright red anti-fouling paint for the bottom of one of the Hoofers’ keelboats.

Name:  Whitney.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  299.3 KB

Name:  Hoofers boats.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  109.0 KB photo credit, Amy Johanning

Name:  Dan Jenkins.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  524.4 KB

Name:  techs.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  374.5 KB

Hoofers is the sailing club at the University of Wisconsin, and Whitney is the heavy keelboat captain for the club. What does this mean? Well, next weekend is when sailors and friends come ‘round to help get the fleet back into the water of Lake Mendota. All the keelboats are towed from this yard to what is called the Wisconsin State Union. There a rented crane lowers them into the water where they live on mooring balls for the sailing season. The mooring balls floated there all winter, lonely and cold, waiting for the boats to return.

If you are a University alumni you might even have a lifetime membership in the Union, which entitles you to buy beer at the bar while you watch the mooring balls during those long, long, very cold winters. As they say, “Membership has its privileges”.

Whitney told me that the University plans to install its own crane during the next year, which is a wondrous thing. Her understanding is that the crane will be available to private citizens, too. Wisconsin citizens are very proud of their University. The university, in turn, is keenly aware that Wisconsin taxpayers pay for everything, regardless of whether their children attended or not. So lots of things at UW are made available to Wisconsin residents. Except the beer, of course. You need a membership for that. Go figure.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-27-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Amy totally needs a Laser. No saddle necessary.

She could name it Miscellaneous Expense.

I invited Philippe to come sailing with me on Sunday. We decided to sail offshore just for the fun of it, and to determine Dura Mater’s polars. Yes, even Dura Mater has polars. I know this because Skip told me so, and he even created a beautiful graph to illustrate them.

Name:  DMPolars.jpeg
Views: 539
Size:  342.8 KB

Then another graph for what he called my "dream polars".

Name:  dream polars.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  300.9 KB

Due to his significant powers of persuasion (and innate understanding of everything to do with boats) I am convinced.

I left the Richmond Yacht Club early Saturday afternoon with my newly re-wired radio at its powerful best (thank you again, Tom) and sailed across to the city front in breezy conditions. That was a lot of fun. A LOT. Arrived at the empty docks of Golden Gate Yacht Club and raised my new RYC burgee, then I walked up to the empty clubhouse and introduced myself to … the only person there. He was a nice fella eating soup and watching sports on a big screen tv in the bar.

New to this reciprocity business, I said, “Hello! My name is Jackie Philpott.” We shook hands. He nodded.

“I’ve sailed my boat over from Richmond and would like to stay at your dock for the evening. Is that okay?”

He nodded again, and called, “Santino!” Santino came out from the kitchen where he was preparing food for the Club’s splendid Sunday brunch. I know it is splendid because I ate there once with Nathalie while everybody else raced around the Lightship in one of her ZYC races. It seemed the prudent thing to do at the time, I forget why. Maybe because there was no wind.

Apparently the GGYC manager had just left for the day, but Santino was very nice. He encouraged me to sign in as a guest, confirmed that I would stay only the one night, and showed me how to get into and out of the bathroom/shower. What a gentleman. As if I would shower after only two days sailing.

It was really windy on Saturday, and chilly. I took a long walk and then ate in the dining room at Hotel Dura Mater. I had the sushi course with dark chocolate for dessert. Read a spy novel and was asleep by 8:30. Fresh air makes me tired.

Up with the pelicans Sunday morning, I was a little anxious about going offshore. The offshore forecast read: wind 20-25 with gusts to 30, and also SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR ROUGH BAR IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT.

I emailed a copy of the forecast to Philippe. His response was: “I think sailing upwind in 30 knots is good practice :-) ” Okaaaaay.

So I walked over to Safeway for provisions, came back and there he was, ready to roll. We sailed out the gate and on to Point Bonita. After some verbal back and forth about the meaning of the effect of an ebb tide, 55’ of depth + the wind + waves, we decided to turn around. Then we tested Dura Mater’s willingness to adapt to a Belgian aboard. He kept raising then reefing the main, rolling in the jib and then letting it out again. Then he went up to the bow and back. First he set up the spinnaker pole for wing on wing on one side, then on the other. Whew. It was exhausting watching him while I steered. Dura Mater was fine with it, though. He invited me to take my turn at the bow.

“Hell, no! I’m not going up there. It’s windy out here! And those are big waves. Maybe next time.”

And maybe next time I will. But my lines are all led aft to the cockpit for a reason. Besides, I need more time to get used to the idea of going up there to the bow outside the gate when the wind is 20+ knots.

Philippe doesn’t have his own boat anymore. You may have heard.

Name:  Philippe and oreos.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  268.5 KB

But he sure likes sailing. And he likes to keep moving, changing everything two and three and four times to see what the boat can do. So we figured out what Dura Mater can do in the Golden Gate with a reefed main, then an un-reefed main, a semi-rolled jib and a fully unrolled jib. Those were the points of sail we explored on Sunday. When Philippe left I filled in some of the boxes of Dura Mater’s polars. What are they? Well, that’s a secret. But here is what I saw as I sailed back over to Richmond.

Name:  city - Copy.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  283.0 KB

What a beautiful day. Thanks again, Philippe!
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-27-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Great write up and thanks for the ride and good company :-)