Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: What I Saw

At the request of the author, the Polar Expedition thread has been moved to Shorthanded Sailing.

Let the expeditions continue!

Thanks, Bob. This forum is a source of fine, discretely useful information. The topic of polars is obviously of interest to people and deserves its own thread. All sorts of blather and teasing continues to be welcome here, of course.

Drove over to Berkeley Marine Center today with a friend. Who was there on top of his new little boat with a very deep draft?

Name:  Ryan on his new boat.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  259.0 KB

Ryan Nelson of Rogue Rigging. Heís going to come out single and doublehanding with the SSS next season, as soon as he addresses some minor details. Like a mast. And rigging. The tailorís children have no clothes and all that.

Name:  Rogue Rigging.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  477.7 KB

Default To the Delta Again

This is Dura Mater's third trip to the Delta. Before leaving I spent an afternoon removing Ocean Requirements. Off came Carliane's EPIRB and maps, Tom's storm jib, Greg's 50 watt solar panel and the passive radar. Removed the down sleeping bag, the down clothing, the long underwear, wool hats and socks. Won't need that in the Delta. Nope.

There is alot of food left uneaten by my Belgian tactician. Lots of food. Organic fruit. Freeze dried meals from REI. Fourteen gallons of water. And chocolate. Lots of chocolate. Swiss Miss hot chocolate, too. But alas, no marshmallows.

Back on came the mosquito netting, a new chart plotter (broke a third one: Dropped it. Jeesh) tshirts and shorts, Skin-So-So Soft and my pretty drifter. Also my umbrella, which was very helpful as I sailed across the San Pablo Bay toward the Vallejo Yacht Club.

Name:  under the umbrella.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  457.6 KB

This Delta trip is a languid one. What's the hurry, anyway?

The same pelican dive bombed right next to Dura Mater all across San Pablo Bay. Got a fish every time. Showing off. Show-off pelican.

Testing this new reciprocity business, I called ahead and reached Debbie at VYC. Sure, she said, come on over. There will be Wednesday night races but there should be room at the guest dock. And there was. Right next to the Etchells. Ooh. Pretty Etchells boat. Looked brand new. Looked fast. I leaned over the deck rail.

"Hi! Are you racing tonight?"
    "Yes."
    "Do you need crew?"
    He smiled. "Not really."

That's okay. His boat looked complicated. Thousands of tiny cleats with multi colored expensive looking lines. I wouldn't have known what to do with 'em, anyway. Plus, there was a harbor full of boats ahead of me. I realized that I had to refine my pitch. So I put on the dorkiest hat in my reportoire and carried my life jacket past all the big boats, down a far dock, over to a J-80. The only other boat in the harbor with a tiller. Seriously. The others all had wheels. Big boats.

I moseyed on down the dock toward Pearl, the J-80, where four people were sitting, talking through their strategy for the race.

They eyed me warily.
    "Hi! Do you need one more crew?"
    Three people looked at the fourth. Must be the skipper, so I smiled BIG.
    He smiled back. "Not really. But there are a lot of boats that do. Why did you come all the way over here?"

I was ready for this.
    "Because your boat is the only one with a tiller and it's more nimble. I know because I've sailed on a J-92. J Boats are fast. That's a nice sail, by the way."

The skipper, Jack Vetter, smiled back. He knew a good argument when he heard one.
    "Sure, come aboard." Which was generous of him, since I learned that his crew of Michelle, Kimball and David has sailed with him for years. And I have to say that it showed. We almost beat that Etchells. Almost. Came in second, and when Jack was handed the second place bourbon glass he gave it to Kimball. Classy guy. That was a lot of fun.

Slept like a sailor and woke up late. Waited for the ebb to ebb, then raised DM's sail. Needed help shoving her bow out hard because it was windy already and she was being shoved up against the dock. Three people readily agreed to help, so then we were on our way again. At the end of Mare Island Strait we turned to port, and averaged 5.1 knots all the way to Pittsburgh Yacht Club, where we are staying the night.

Saw lots of interesting scenery on the way. No freighters, only a few sailboats. Saw this

Name:  on the way.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.07 MB

Very friendly people here at the Pittsburgh Yacht Club, and it is beautifully maintained. Thank you to Sharky, a pretty blond woman who also gave me the Club WiFi code. A hot shower at the end of a sweaty day in the sun. What could be nicer? The slips here next to the yacht club are owned by the city of Pittsburgh and cost 50 cents/foot for the first night. I was told that the second night is free, even on your way back from the Delta, but don't quote me because I didn't see it in writing.

Tomorrow? I head to N 37 90000, W 121 609, the Cunningham Yacht Club in Discovery Bay. Mike and Jacqueline are visiting their children but plan to return on Saturday. So I have time to anchor out for a night on the way, somewhere in between here and there. Mike says there are lots of nice places along False River and that I only have to call on channel 9 for the Railroad Bridge to open sesame before I reach Indian Slough. Really? I can't wait.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-18-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Drove over to Berkeley Marine Center today with a friend. Who was there on top of his new little boat with a very deep draft?

Name:  Ryan on his new boat.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  259.0 KB

Ryan Nelson of Rogue Rigging. He’s going to come out single and doublehanding with the SSS next season, as soon as he addresses some minor details. Like a mast. And rigging. The tailor’s children have no clothes and all that.
    That old Mini 6.5 has shown up on this forum before, in years past.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Hey Jackie!
    You could have left the panel on and kept your battery charged.
    Use less diesel that way.

Jackie just sent a postcard from Rhode Island. Says her chartplotter battery died. Rhode Island? Oh, the postcard says zip code 94505..and she writes:

I’m anchored in a tule off Old River. Trying to sleep but it is Windy windy, DM is sideways. At about 5pm my chart plotter battery died so I decided that was a sign to stop. It was too windy for my beach umbrella and I was hot and sweaty anyway. My coordinates N 37 59524, W 121 34 675. Google tells me I’m at Rhode Island, Ca and that there is no public transportation. Which is fine by me ��I’m headed down to visit Mike and Jacqueline Cunningham in Discovery Bay. They have a dock outside their house! There are the loudest birds here. Why would they be making so much noise this late at night? It’s quieter in Oakland for crying out loud! Hey, you birds! Quiet down out there! If I drag anchor I’ll just leave this muddy spot for that muddy spot. Sure is pretty out here. Sublime.