Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What. Is. It? I’d like to know.
    That's Caro. "The original design brief was for a fast boat to be sailed by the owner and his friends..."

https://www.botinpartners.com/project.php?id=43
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-30-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Wow. That is just beautiful. And a boat with its own brochure. woo hoo.

Default Little Boats all in a Row

Sailed back from the Oakland Yacht Club after leaving Dura Mater overnight, and we came upon these little cuties in Potrero Reach:

https://vimeo.com/393085123

Default Kyntanna Sighting

There I was, driving down Telegraph Avenue, when I noticed movement within the graffiti covering the old Kasper's Hotdog stand. Can you see her?

Name:  Carliane on Telegraph.JPG
Views: 1321
Size:  433.4 KB

It's Carliane Johnson s/v Kyntanna. We met for breakfast at Aunt Mary's in Temescal so I could hand off a MOB stick for her new adventure, the 2020 Pac Cup: The Fun Race to Hawaii. Carliane hopes this one will be fun, because it took her six months to recover from sleep deprivation after the 2018 SHTP.

Here she is next to an Oakland Tech bulldog. Well, not a real one:

Name:  Carliane w Bulldog.JPG
Views: 1332
Size:  807.9 KB

I thought it was just another one of the Telegraph Ave. bums until I took a closer look.

I have the sleeve that bundles up the MOB flag against the backstay, and I probably still have a bracket for the pole's bottom end. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I thought it was just another one of the Telegraph Ave. bums until I took a closer look. I have the sleeve that bundles up the MOB flag against the backstay, and I probably still have a bracket for the pole's bottom end. Let me know.
    Sure. Bring it down and I'll sail it over to her. She needs a video of her emergency rudder as deployed, so I'll be sailing over on DM sometime to do that. Maybe you'd like to be my driver?

Sure, but it's crunch time. I may need a couple of weeks. I did get today off and went over to see if I still have a boat (I do.)

Default Dura Mater in the Delta Again

Easter Sunday: time to head for the Delta. I called ahead to ask Devery Stockon if I could get a slip at Owl Harbor:

“Devery, if I promise to not touch anything, can I come to Owl Harbor and get a slip?”

“Yes”

“And I’m all out of eggs.”

“We have eggs.”

So away we went. Dura Mater and I left Potrero Reach at 12:21. The top of the flood at Red Rock was noon. We passed Benicia Marina this year, motorsailed the whole way to Pittsburg Yacht Club Harbor, arriving @ 5:57 pm. The yacht club was closed up tight. DM was the only sailboat. The cost for both sides of the Pittsburg harbors is $0.50/foot ($14 for DM, keep the change) into the box. It was pretty windy: 18 knots with bigger gusts.

We were glad to be in a harbor as it was getting cold. Moving time was 5.5 hours, max 8.9 knots; average 6.3 knots, 34.6 nm total.

There were lots of huge shiny power boats parked with cabins on several levels. I can't imagine the windage and they would require a lot of expensive fuel. Still, it was nice to have my own Engine by Dave once I had lowered sail outside the entrance.

Pittsburg to Owl Harbor

This is such a nice trip, especially just before sunrise. The wind was 14 knots at the get go, and we left Pittsburg @ 6:05 am.

Name:  just before sunrise along the san joaquin 041320 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1537
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  industrial landscape along San Joaquin - Copy.JPG
Views: 2676
Size:  140.7 KB

It was wool hat, wool socks, long underwear cold. There are always things to see along the San Joaquin.

Name:  crane - Copy.JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  234.2 KB

Max flood at Pittsburg = 6 am/ 1.25 knots. Max speed = 9.5 knots; average = 6.6 knots.

Once you get under the Antioch Bridge, everything changes from semi-industrial to rural. Like Dorothy travelling from Kansas and landing with a thump in Munchkin Land. The Delta beyond the Antioch Bridge is another dimension.

Name:  sunrise on the san joaquin river 041320 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2015
Size:  249.3 KB

We motorsailed the whole way, arriving @ 8:52 am: 2 hrs 45 minutes. We checked into our slip at I dock and walked up to the office to sign the paperwork. Devery asked politely:

"Would you like to keep the pen?"

Of course I would like to keep the pen. I love free stuff. Plus, it had big city germs on it anyway.

Registration and insurance paperwork was emailed ahead, and a check was sent via USPS: $519 - $259.50/month plus a last month's rent.

And then, just before I left the clubhouse, Devery handed over the prize:

Name:  Owl Harbor eggs - Copy.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  235.0 KB

Owl Harbor eggs from Owl Harbor chickens. Reason alone to visit, but there's just so much more.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-18-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Aha! An early season Delta run for the Dura Mater. Real fresh eggs. Very well done.

Isn't it sweet to ride that current? I am always amazed at how fast you can go at full flood or ebb. During the big rains two years ago heading downriver I got up to 10Kts over the ground at about 6Kts on the water. It was crazy.

The pics are great. I have had a diesel leak since Hawaii, they have got me motivated to get on the boat and get that damn thing fixed.