Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 162

Thread: What I Saw

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Hey, Greg! Posting your progress toward the Transpac (and beyond!) in one place here (Nightmare's Saga) is a great idea. I know that I always look at it because I learn from it. What have I learned this week? That Greg has lots of skills. We can all aspire to knowing how to fabricate strong stainless steel brackets. Yeah. Or we can go pay Chris at Svendsen's metalworks. ;-)

    Anyway, this is my location for asking ridiculous questions on behalf of Dura Mater. I will also post photos of ridiculous results. There is no false pride in this thread.

    I'm going down to the Berkeley Marina to climb DM's mast in order to ... see what's up there again. Last time I ascended the hyperventilation caused me to descend as soon as I had retrieved that topping lift shackle (only part of the way to the top!!!). This time I go all the way. I have my nice new mast climber (ebay) and static line (Todd Olsen). While I'm up there ... um ... what am I looking for? Obviously I make sure nothing is broken or twisted or falling off. Including me. My deck light isn't working, so before I go up I'll check the fuse, but I guess I'll take up a screwdriver, too. And an appropriate bulb, come to think of it. Which is the only non led light on the boat - a halogen. Nice and bright when I needed it in Half Moon Bay last year. Any more advice, folks?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Just the reminder to tie proper knots when going aloft (like for the main halyard to the static line). Do not rely on a shackle.
    .
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-30-2017 at 09:42 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Just the reminder to tie proper knots when going aloft (like for the main halyard to the static line). No not rely on a shackle.
    Bowline to bowline. Check. Also, use that extra halyard. Check. Hmmm. This might be a task best approached slowly. After a cuppa tea. And some chocolate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Any more advice, folks?
    A wet rag to wipe the moss off the bottom of the spreaders?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Good on ya, Jackie. I have yet to climb to the top of my 55' mast. Things sway a lot up there! Just FYI - a bowline is not a proper knot for climbing. Use a double figure 8 and then an overhand tie for the bitter end. The figure 8 is easier to untie even after it has been weighted, and it won't slip, which I've heard can happen with the bowline knot for climbing.

    http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8follow/#ScrollPoint
    Last edited by Gamayun; 04-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Good on ya, Jackie. I have yet to climb to the top of my 55' mast. Things sway a lot up there! Just FYI - a bowline is not a proper knot for climbing. Use a double figure 8 and then an overhand tie for the bitter end. The figure 8 is easier to untie even after it has been weighted, and it won't slip, which I've heard can happen with the bowline knot for climbing.

    http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8follow/#ScrollPoint
    it sways a lot and it bends a lot. Ha ha. When I get to the top of my mast, a measly 45 feet above the water, I can feel the boat gently rock and when she does the mast bends a bit, well with my 200 pounds maybe more than a bit. Anyway, it is disconcerting, that's for sure.I don't envy your extra 10 feet. Not at all.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I liked this guy's articles and videos of going aloft. http://l-36.com/unassisted_mast_climbing.php

    I went out a bunch of climbing gear based on this guys recommendations but I found that no matter how well tied in I am I can't stop myself from clinging to the mast with a death grip. That's not particularly conducive to getting anything done up there.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Try an unstayed carbon Wyliecat 30 mast. You're 6 feet away from the truck at the top, hanging out over the gunnel. Not only boat sway, mast sway. ;-0

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Try an unstayed carbon Wyliecat 30 mast. You're 6 feet away from the truck at the top, hanging out over the gunnel. Not only boat sway, mast sway. ;-0
    Oh no no no. Like Sam Burns said, "I'd rather die."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    it sways a lot and it bends a lot. Ha ha. When I get to the top of my mast, a measly 45 feet above the water, I can feel the boat gently rock and when she does the mast bends a bit, well with my 200 pounds maybe more than a bit. Anyway, it is disconcerting, that's for sure.I don't envy your extra 10 feet. Not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Try an unstayed carbon Wyliecat 30 mast. You're 6 feet away from the truck at the top, hanging out over the gunnel. Not only boat sway, mast sway. ;-0
    Mmm, great. Thanks, guys. Now I'm really looking forward to it...

    Jackie, just let me know if you'd like to go up my mast and I'll haul you up with the winch. You'll forever have no problems climbing Dura Mater
    Last edited by Gamayun; 05-01-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •