Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Thanks, Greg. One more thing about the Coasties boarding your boat: The first thing they ask is whether you have a firearm onboard. So if you do bring that Glock, remember to have your registration for that, too.

Is one required to carry a firearm registration onboard, never heard of that? Not that I've ever had a gun onboard but the revolver I purchased was in 1986 and I have no paperwork, although it was registered and bought new at a gun shop. Can a gun be loaded on a boat unlike a car?

Default Rainy Day on E Dock

Name:  Jackie diesel service.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  2.71 MB

Ooh, what fun!

Tom K

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thank you, Todd. What is the name of your boat and where do you keep it? "Ghosting along". A nice phrase.
    Hi Jackie - Osprey is my Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 and she's at Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito.

I have a question about your Coast Guard boarding -- what did they say or do regarding Covid? I'm surprised they would board for a routine inspection this year. I did a voluntary inspection at the dock with Coast Guard auxiliary about 3 days before our lockdown started last March. Pretty sure you can't schedule one of those right now.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by ToddArnold View Post
    I have a question about your Coast Guard boarding -- what did they say or do regarding Covid? I'm surprised they would board for a routine inspection this year. I did a voluntary inspection at the dock with Coast Guard auxiliary about 3 days before our lockdown started last March. Pretty sure you can't schedule one of those right now. Todd
    At RYC we have been asked to wear masks to and from our boats, so I still had one on (though beneath my chin due to huffing and puffing while raising my main). Both Coasties had masks on, and I pulled mine over my mouth and nose. As they boarded I stepped down into my companionway and displayed the different items they sought to confirm. They took my word for it when I told them I had the two placards, although I invited them down, directing them to my vberth and "opposite the portapottie". Anybody who has participated in an SSS offshore race should be fine with the Coasties. Again, they were very professional and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    At RYC we have been asked to wear masks to and from our boats, so I still had one on (though beneath my chin due to huffing and puffing while raising my main). Both Coasties had masks on, and I pulled mine over my mouth and nose. As they boarded I stepped down into my companionway and displayed the different items they sought to confirm. They took my word for it when I told them I had the two placards, although I invited them down, directing them to my vberth and "opposite the portapottie". Anybody who has participated in an SSS offshore race should be fine with the Coasties. Again, they were very professional and polite.
    I was boarded, for the first tiime ever, on the way to my haulout at the BMC last march. I was clipped into my jacklines and pretty clearly was safety-conscious but in fact I couldn't find my noisemakers. I totally forgot that I had a lifesling. In fact, there's a noisemaker in my junk box at home but I bought another one. I had to write a letter to the main office and attach photos of the items I'd bought to come up to specs;.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I printed out Philpott's list above and checked it over. Surprise! didn't have the required placards. The "Discharge Oil Here" plaque was inside the engine box where nobody can see it and she didn't have a "Discharge Trash Here" plaque. After a visit to our favorite marine retail store, she's up to snuff. The placards are even dark blue.

I actually have a lock on the Y-valve but the hoses aren't labeled. Time to take the label-maker back to Surprise! Be very afraid...
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-19-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Ants Uiga and his friend Jim Mullarkey came by for breakfast this morning in Oakland. Ants came up with the idea of the Three Bridge Fiasco back in 1980, when he was SSS Race Chair. He said that doublehanders registered for the Fiasco but the other races at that time were all singlehanded. He drove up from Bodfish to ride his 1963 Triumph motorcycle around the levee roads of the Delta.

Name:  Ants on his 1963 Triumph.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  351.4 KB

Taking pity upon me for never winning any of Skip's quizzes, he also brought me Tom's granola from Monterey Market down the street from the Mullarkey family compound in Albany.

Name:  Ants w Toms granola.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  280.6 KB

Jim just bought a 36' Islander berthed in Sausalito and will take all of us out on her for Fleet Week. Call ahead.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-08-2021 at 09:21 PM.