Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Mmm, great. Thanks, guys. Now I'm really looking forward to it...

Jackie, just let me know if you'd like to go up my mast and I'll haul you up with the winch. You'll forever have no problems climbing Dura Mater
    Thanks, Carliane. Actually I don't have trouble with the idea of using the ATN mastclimber, just the whole tipping sideways business Pat mentioned. A couple of years ago, before I got the ATN, a friend of mine agreed to go up the mast for me. She is a little bitty thang, slim and lightweight. A vegetarian ;-) Brian Boschma happened to be passing by updating people's Pelagic software, and he agreed to winch her up. Well, I don't know if you have ever tried it, but it was very difficult. Plus, half way up, Jocelyn got stuck a few times and she didn't like that at all. Needless to say, I was very grateful, but realized that the whole winch thing isn't the answer on DM. Your winches may be set up differently. Now, if you would like me to bring the ATN over to Kynntana, just ask. We'll need a longer static line ...
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-02-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Been (up) there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's actually a heckuva lot easier without spreaders to bang into.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-02-2017 at 04:40 PM.

What I Saw tonight was three dyed-in-the-wool singlehanders all doing a beer can race on the same boat.

Were there conflicts? Fighting over the tiller? Disagreements about tactics? Details at eleven...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Been (up) there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's actually a heckuva lot easier without spreaders to bang into.
    And literally nothing to hang onto!

So, I went up there. I had the correct bulb ($7 at Svendsen's, which continues to be well stocked, and even better organized than before) and a screwdriver, but I couldn't get the bulb out without opening the housing. I thought, "Jackie, do you really want to open this housing and possibly compromise the water tightness of it?"

I had the goop and the correct screwdriver, but both the steaming light and the deck light are housed in there. I really need the steaming light but I can use my headlamp for the deck work.... So I decided to leave the burnt-out bulb up there. Didn't come away empty handed, though. https://vimeo.com/216393430
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Nice view Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Nice view Jackie
    Thanks, Greg. Unfortunately I forgot the wet rag for the spreaders. I tried to "spitshine" them, but that just smeared the moss around ;-)

"High in Berkeley" sounds redundant - it must be an age bracket thing.

So you didn't fix the bulb and you didn't wipe off the spreaders. All we got out of this is a home movie?

That sounds like some of my "boat project" days.

Quote Originally Posted by bobj View Post
    "high in berkeley" sounds redundant - it must be an age bracket thing.

So you didn't fix the bulb and you didn't wipe off the spreaders. All we got out of this is a home movie?

That sounds like some of my "boat project" days.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Note the title of the thread, plus I think it qualifies as a music video. Substance? I read Nightmare's Saga for substance. And New Boat 4 Sled for history. This Forum needs an index. Where is that Tech Czar? Oh, yeah. Building a boat in his garage in Silicon Valley. Isn't that how they all start?
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-09-2017 at 08:03 AM.