Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Awful nice nights up here. Quiet. No bugs. Well, none that get through the tulle.

Name:  A67F02EB-F87A-4EDD-BDEC-40E74A8CBD38.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  3.45 MB

Came around a bend in Georgiana and WHAT? There were sister yachts anchored in my parking space.

Well I wanted to park here, too. Can't be harder than parallel parking in Manhattan, right?

So I anchored w my plow bow out , tried to back into shore w my danforth but it wasn't catching. Everybody from both yachts had front row seats to the free entertainment. Fella came over in his dinghy, offered to help, I asked him where he was from.

"RYC", he said, anchor in hand.
    "Me, too." said I.
    "What? Wait", he was puzzled.
    "My slip is on E Dock" I explained. "Way out there."
    "Oh," he understood then how we had missed meeting. There are docks and then there are docks.

Name:  #9 sv Soiree - Copy.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  367.9 KB

Here's a photo of Steve and Connie Hill's Soiree. They had me to dinner, served two kinds of cheese, salad and ... wait for it ... steak!!! Seriously wonderful!

Gary Troxel dug that danforth into the mud so well I had to jump in the water this morning in order to pull it out. My anchor hero.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-25-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Default In Tomales Bay

I drove up to Tomales Bay, spent a couple of nights in my tent, from where I took this photograph.

Name:  Full moon over Tomales Bay - Copy.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  224.2 KB

Had a splendid time. Zoomed around on the race committee boats. Took lots of photos, sent 'em to Bay & Delta Yachtsman magazine, where they will show up in the October column. One of the boats, sail # 007, was called Honey Ryder.

Name:  Honey Ryder.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  243.3 KB

Some of Skip's macapuno ice cream for the person who can name the actress who played Honey Ryder in the James Bond movie, Dr No. A second bowl for anyone who can find an image of the actress in that role and post it here.

Here's a photo of Skip and Sean on Smart Shoes. It was hard to miss them, they were everywhere.

Name:  IMG_2840 - Copy.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  276.8 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-25-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Some of Skip's macapuno ice cream for the person who can name the actress who played Honey Ryder in the James Bond movie, Dr No. A second bowl for anyone who can find an image of the actress in that role and post it here.
    Ursula Andress?

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Ursula Andress?
    Name:  Honey Ryder.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  7.6 KB

Pretty bold, offering up my Macapuno as a prize to your movie actress trivia... BTW, HONEY RYDER, #007, is Int 110 #7, oldest boat in Milly's Navy, built in the 40's. We call her the "bumblebee boat." There's another yellow boat, #608, named GOLDEN BANANA we call " Land-O-Lakes."
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-25-2022 at 08:37 PM.

Nice shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Ursula Andress?
    Congratulations, Max! Walk right over there to Skip's freezer and help yourself! Call me when you're on your way and I'll meet you there. And here's the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ6oYLJG2gE

I asked if I could post the photo in my column but cooler heads prevailed. That's what I love about this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  Honey Ryder.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  7.6 KB

Pretty bold, offering up my Macapuno as a prize to your movie actress trivia...
    thank you.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-25-2022 at 08:27 PM.

HALF MOON BAY RACE 2022

For this race I was crew on Cliff Shaw's s/v Rainbow. To be honest? I didn't do much. That boat is big, everything on it is big, and I am not very strong. But Cliff didn't care. He's used to doing everything himself. So I was just a passenger.

After the start, with ONLY one tack at the north tower, we were off. Cliff asked me how I felt about going south of Mile Rock.

“What? That’s rocky coastline!” said I.

“Yeah, but look! Raffi’s already around the corner. If we don’t tack we’ll save time,” he said.

“Um, are you sure that’s not restricted?” I prevaricated.

“Well, it doesn’t say we can’t go in there,” said the Captain.

“There are a lot of waves and wind out there. There are a lot of rocks in there.” I stated the obvious.

Under a dodger on a big heavy boat? I was learning that many conversations can occur. Conversations that concern life or death.
    “Okay, then,” said Cliff. “Unless you feel queasy about it, that’s what we’ll do.”

Well, by this time we were passing Mile Rock to starboard. Heading for that rocky coastline. The phrase “Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death…” ran through my mind. Also the fact that it was not my boat. So what could I say?

“It’s your boat. I’m in.”

Name:  Screenshot (113).png
Views: 545
Size:  426.2 KB

So we went through and never tacked again the whole way. We gybed once as we approached G 1. It was perfect wind on Saturday.
    We were a little disheartened when we saw that Raffi had turned and burned. s/v Lookin Good 3 passed us, its captain and crew grinning from ear to ear. They waved. We waved. Cursed under our breath.

It was a fast race down there, and we watched as a high number of boats turned around after finishing. That would make for a long day, sailing home again.

Rainbow spent the night and I got the starboard cabin, previously known as the “sail loft”. I learned a lot from Cliff. I watched as he set the anchor with a big strong bridle. Then we bounced across the water to the floating dock in his paper boat. It looks that way, anyway, but it is remarkably buoyant and we didn’t capsize once.

Dinner was paella. Clams, mussels, shrimp, sausage. Quite delicious. The chef made it in a big round pan the size of a round table for four.
    Then we all stood around, waited for our hats leftover from 2018. The first place finisher, Joerg Esdom s/v Kincsom, beat everybody even with a 20 minute late start penalty. He coulda raced with the other 105s in the Rolex Big Boat series, but he raced with us. Maybe our little club is coming up in the world. His prize? A canvas SSS briefcase from 2002. Yeah, maybe not. Joe really wants to get rid of all that surplus swag in the storage locker. We are the little club that re-uses.

BTW Rainbow corrected out on Lookin Good 3.

Oh my! Oh my! Sunday morning in HMB it was foggy and raining and windy. Everybody was debating whether to stay or go. Dave and Co. made us breakfast and it was delicious. Except for that turkey bacon. I'm not fully on board with that.

Name:  Chef Dave and Dishwasher Cliff.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  352.1 KB

Exiting the HMB harbor at 0930 the waves were impressive and smashing against the breakwater. I asked Cliff how he felt about the conditions. He shrugged.

https://vimeo.com/751402557

Once we got ‘round the corner the waves were bigger and close together. We saw sustained high 20s and lots of 30+ wind. As we approached the bridge he said, “Hmmm. I’ve never approached at the top of an ebb from this direction.”

“Ah,” said I.

We followed a tanker in, not knowing what to expect of the bay. At 1400 the bay was devoid of boats. Once under the Bridge the wind was a mere 20 knots. But then it built. Go figure. By the time we arrived at Emeryville Marina it was 27 knots. So we put her to bed in big wind, sprayed her down with water that went everywhere and ended the weekend on a high wind note.

Name:  Cliff aboard Rainbow 091822.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  347.5 KB

Thank you, Cliff. It was a real pleasure to sail with you.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-19-2022 at 02:08 PM.

VALLEJO 1-2

It was great to sail a long sail again, back and forth across the San Pablo Bay. A little tedious coming back, I will confess, but DM and I finished. Lovely is the night when all the bay is blues and lavender colors. After a bit of a kerfuffle at the start (Dura Mater's spinnaker shackle is now safe at the top of her mast), I realized that the wind in Mare Island Strait had changed from north to west, so we didn't need it after all. Took me awhile to notice. The wind was fine in San Pablo Bay until it wasn't. And then, toward the end, came the flood. Sigh.

Here is Dave Hodges, Master and Commander, arriving for the start on the Berkeley Circle.

Name:  IMG-3404 - Copy.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  192.9 KB

Just before the bridge Chuck Hooper had his own bit of kerfuffle.

Name:  IMG-3406 - Copy.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  191.9 KB

He worked it out in short time, though, and then he was OFF. There were two Contessa 33s in the race: Chuck's and Rodney Percival's. I learned this at the bar that night. I ordered two non alcoholic beers so I would look right at home, but really? What's the point? I bought two beers and dinner + tip, so I didn't feel guilty about not buying brunch. Guilt. There's so much of it everywhere nowadays. Instead I ate aboard DM. I sure love eating aboard my boat.

Name:  IMG-3411 - Copy.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  290.8 KB

Sorta like Skip and Annie eating inside cozy Ruby in the woods.

As we edged our way home across the bay, we took so long that this big red tanker passed us coming down river and then up river. Here is Mike C on Jacqueline, avoiding the shipping channel.

Name:  Mike C and the Big Boat.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  390.9 KB

Those big ships are huge, aren't they?

Here is Dura Mater inching her way to the finish. Thank you to Joe for the photo.

Name:  IMG-4401.JPG
Views: 424
Size:  867.3 KB

Thank you again to the race committee. Joe says he will miss watching us all finish. Unless he has forgotten how to sail, I hope we will see him on the water again for the Fiasco.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-17-2022 at 11:24 AM.

This year I invited myself aboard Dancer, a 34’ Tiffany Jayne with a green hull just up E Dock from me.

Name:  Dancer.png
Views: 404
Size:  190.4 KB

The skipper, Richard Packard, hadn’t planned to race in the Great Pumpkin pursuit race, so he hadn’t registered. He was game for the fun of it, though. After replacing his working jib with a genoa, off we went Sunday to drift around at the start during the hour postponement. There were a whole lot of boats registered, and lots that weren’t.

Name:  Great Pumpkin.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  2.60 MB

125 boats finished. That Dancer is a sweet boat to sail in light wind and she held her own in the slot on Sunday. And boy, she can really point! Specially compared to Dura Mater. As the wind built I briefly worried, because I had never sailed with this person before. I realized that the skipper, the only other person on the boat besides me, was giving nothing away. We were being overtaken by bigger boats with bigger, better sails, and lots more crew. They surrounded us and he wasn’t flinching. I thought to myself, “I sure hope this guy knows what he’s doing.” And thank goodness, he really did.

The Tiffany Jayne is a double ended sloop and Richard has owned her since she was three months old in the early 80s. He said she was ordered built by a fella who sailed her once in Monterey Bay and decided she wasn’t the boat for him, the ocean wasn’t the water for him. So the builder sold her to Richard and I got to sail her in good wind Sunday. Thank you, Richard.

Here’s the boat Puffin.

Name:  Puffin - Copy.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  439.0 KB

Everybody on that boat was having a wonderful time dressed as pirates. They were still brandishing their swords hours later at the bar. Steve Buckingham and Rachel sailed with Jonathan and Christine on Stink Eye.

Name:  Stink Eye.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  301.3 KB

Here they are approaching the finish ahead of us. And here’s what I learned: Richard used this angled drill to raise his main. It worked awfully well.

Name:  Milwaukee M 28.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  302.7 KB

Apparently the main can be raised six times with one charge. The drill costs approximately $300 and the winch bit is about $20. Huh. That’s less than the cost of either an Alerion 28 or a Wyliecat.
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-02-2022 at 10:13 PM.