Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Hey Jackie, Love your reports on cruising the Delta. Sounds pretty buggy and hot but a unique experience that I will have to live vicariously through your posts as it's a long way from San Diego. Hope to maybe get up there next summer will probably head west instead of east. Bill
    s/v Dolfin Pacific Seacraft 37
    Thanks, Bill. I've heard alot about buggies, but haven't really experienced them. Local speculation suggests that the State has dropped some kind of pellets in the water to mitigate the water hyacinth, which has also suppressed the mosquitoes. Either way, between the Skin So Soft and the tutu screens, I haven't been bitten except that once.

Don't tell me you plan to do that crazy person race across the ocean again? Instead of heading into the belly of the Delta beast? Well, alrighty then. Certainly Dolfin is meant for blue water. In the meantime I'll try to keep you entertained with stories and pretty pictures and I look forward to seeing you at the Corinthian.

Very nice report Jackie. Personally the only time I have spent sailing in the Delta, and actually stayed there, was on a Hobie 16. We camped in the reeds somewhere. Your report brings it alive. I do recall bugs and staying away from the black metal frame of the boat at high sun angles. Someday I will have to do a vacation trip up that way.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Very nice report Jackie.
    Yup, more, please! Great pictures, too. I was planning to find a 4 or 5 day weekend for a round trip cruise, but I'm now sold on parking my boat up there for a month or two of weekending. Thinking September-October, thinking it's still warm and delta-like but not oppressively so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    Yup, more, please! Great pictures, too. I was planning to find a 4 or 5 day weekend for a round trip cruise, but I'm now sold on parking my boat up there for a month or two of weekending. Thinking September-October, thinking it's still warm and delta-like but not oppressively so.
    The temps will be milder.
    And
    You won't see the summer weekend crowds either!

I like this thread.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

There are phenomena in the Delta known as The Voices of Reason. They are experienced when people visit from Outside Over There. Since only three guests have visited Dura Mater and me in the Delta I have very limited data so far, but this is my first trip so let’s wait to see if additional experience confirms the need for further study.

The Voice of Reason came to collect me a few days after I arrived in Owl Harbor. He came in the middle of the day, when it was already wicked hot. I encouraged him to arrive early, when it is cool and lovely, but The Voice of Reason thinks like a city person, so he waited a bit to avoid the traffic. Well, of course no one drives from Oakland to the Delta in the middle of the week. Anybody can see that from the traffic on the other side of the freeway. But there is no arguing with The Voice of Reason, so I trudged up to the levee road in the blazing heat when he arrived at 10:30 am.

He rolled down the window of the air conditioned car and blinked. “It’s hot!” Yes it was hot. It’s hot every day here, but the Really Hot would arrive later. He rolled the window back up and smiled at me through the glass.

“Lunch?” I mouthed?

“Sure. Get in.” He replied.

“Let’s sail. It’s cool on the water. There’s a breeze out there. It will only take ½ hour.”

“But we have a car,” said the Voice of Reason.

“But we have a boat,” I insisted. “I don't know why we should drive a car when we have a perfectly good sailboat.”

“Because it’s air conditioned in here.” The Voice of Reason waited me out. I could feel the heat melting my flip flops, so I sighed and got in. We drove to Korth’s Marina, had a nice lunch at the diner there, then drove back to J Dock.

“Come have a cup of coffee on the boat before we go back. The cockpit is shaded,” I lied.

We walked down the dock to Dura Mater I got my beach umbrella out and stuck it in the winch holder for him. When we sat real close there was shade for both of us, and there was a nice little breeze. There is almost always a nice breeze in the Delta, something Voices of Reason tend to forget.

He pointed to Stink Eye’s perfectly situated triangular tarp: “Why don’t you have one of those? Or one of those?” He eyed a ski boat motoring by us. It had a bright red bimini that matched its gelcoat. The bimini provided shade to everybody sitting on its white leather seats and all their margarita glasses, too.

I told him about my conversation with the nice man at Pirates Lair diner a week earlier. The man told me that he had just paid $1000 for a bimini for his small motor boat. “It was worth every penny,” he told me proudly. And I believe him. But a bimini is not worth $1000 to me because I already have a beach umbrella.

After we drank our coffee it was time to go back to Oakland.

“Well, this is a nice place here,” The Voice of Reason admitted. “Maybe next time we’ll sail.”
    Mebee. Mebee not. But hope springs eternal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Me thinks you need to listen to Mr. VoR and get DM back to the bay where it's cold and windy! Don't get me wrong...the Delta is quite lovely and almost warm enough to swim (thank you for that experience), but it ain't the bay

https://vimeo.com/230831573

So, why is there no information posted anywhere about currents above Carquinez Straits? I read an article on NOAA about how it is expensive to maintain stations. Is there any way of determining it based on depth and tides?

The little tide/current books have Carquinez Strait times behind the Golden Gate times. In the front is an adjustment table for points farther upstream.

Love the goggles!
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-23-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The little tide/current books have Carquinez Strait times behind the Golden Gate times. In the front is an adjustment table for points farther upstream. Love the goggles! .
    Thank you. I'll read more closely. Goggles from Alpine Meadows, Winter 2002.