Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Saw

There's a totally thrashed potter 14...the original potter, sans mast for sale on CL right now for a few nickels. I think they would be generally deadly to sail, but I have a 15 foot stout aluminum tube and a lugsail and now that the skerry has been sold, it's vaguely tempting.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Port Townsend is a beautiful town with a boat yard at each end and a maritime identity that is palpable. I've been here since Saturday afternoon and have only seen three dinghies on the water, two kids on each, learning how to tack with a chase boat nearby.

There are boats everywhere, lots of blue-water sailboats and everything in between. Skip sent me over to introduce myself to his friend Alex Spear who owns Vito Dumas, but Alex is in Baja for the Winter. His dock neighbor, David, was touching up some varnish on his Kettenburg and we had a nice chat. David told me that Port Townsend has a thriving sailing community during the summer months. That said, he defined the months as July through September.

It's 44 degrees here and the sun still hasn't come out. The people I've met have been incredibly nice and responsive. They are proud of their town and its maritime heritage. But did I mention already? It's cold here and the sun still hasn't come out.

If Kynntana decides to head back this way after the Singlehanded Transpac, here are a few places that might interest her: SeaJay's restaurant (eggs, hashbrowns and your choice of toast+coffee= $6.00) and the dive store across the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-05-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Now that you've delivered the Pelagic AP and there's space in your steamer trunk, if you could toss in a PT Spear kit (with sail rig) and bring it back, I'd be much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Now that you've delivered the Pelagic AP and there's space in your steamer trunk, if you could toss in a PT Spear kit (with sail rig) and bring it back, I'd be much obliged.
    Oh my gosh, Bob! I visited the PT Watercraft workspace here in Port Townsend. It's out a ways, not right in town, almost seems to be countryside. Turn left through a lovely gate and down a gravel road to a collection of small outbuildings surrounded by gardens. Apparently it used to be a seed farm, and lookee there! "Eggs for sale": advertised on an old faded sign.

Skip said Russell works in an old chicken coop. Well, I guess they make boats up here the same way they used to do in Santa Cruz. If this is a chicken coop, though, it is immaculately clean and organized. One of those little nesting dinghies was there right where the chickens probably used to sit on their eggs, under the working table. Russell had just created a batch of carbon fiber doohickeys. He broke them out of the mold right in front of me. Little hatchling carbon fiber doohickeys! He was so proud of them. I had no idea what he was talking about, but they have something to do with those beautiful dinghies.

I lived in Manhattan all through the 1980s, when Judith Lieber clutches were all the rage at Nieman Marcus. People thought they were works of art plus you got to use 'em. What is a Judith Lieber clutch? Well, google the phrase and consider this: I saw a PT Watercraft nesting dinghy right in front of me. I knelt down and ran my fingers down its perfectly smooth, gorgeous curves in total appreciation. I can tell you that Judith ain't got nothin on PT Watercraft for sheer loveliness. And just think of it this way: For one clutch you could buy three or four dinghies. So get your order in. There's a bit of a wait.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.

The one on the left is a Spear. It's the same as the PT-11 on the right but non-nesting, so a bit lighter. It sails wonderfully (both do) and would be just fine as Rags' dinghy.

For Rag's dinghy I'd suggest a high-speed launch equipped with a Roman galley-style ram. The better to keep other boats away from that beautiful blue hull.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The one on the left is a Spear. It's the same as the PT-11 on the right but non-nesting, so a bit lighter. It sails wonderfully (both do) and would be just fine as Rags' dinghy.
    So there I was, meandering around the countryside in my rented muscle car, when I saw a sign for the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building in Port Hadlock. And upon what should my wondering eyes alight? A PT-11 being finished for a client who didn't want to do it himself/herself. Is there a story behind this pretty little fledgling dinghy? Why, of course there is. Just not today.

The only one on the Saks web site that looked seaworthy enough for Dura Mater was the Alexander McQueen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    For Rag's dinghy I'd suggest a high-speed launch equipped with a Roman galley-style ram. The better to keep other boats away from that beautiful blue hull.
    Bob, I withdraw my jest. I realize how distressed you are and hope the repairs are coming along. I saw the Express coming in on port and fell off a little to let him pass. From the movement onboard I though they were going to tack between us. There was plenty of room for doing that. I was busy hauling the mainsheet back in and steering with my knee when it became apparent they weren't. All I could do was mutter "Oh, shit!"

I won't be at tonight's meeting. Being an active Grandfather means gong to "Grandkid" activities and there's one late this afternoon. -- Pat

I'm sorry to hear that Rags took a bad hit, Bob. I hope she'll be OK.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"