Thread: 2016 NOR/SSI Revision 3

Default 2016 NOR/SSI Revision 3

Please be advised that the 2016 NOR/SSI's have be revised today 9/22/2016 to revision 3. The only change was a sentence added to Par 9. Entries (e).

To make this easy I have placed three asterisks in par (e) below. This is the only change in Rev 3.

e. A boat in a Doublehanded Division shall have a crew of two named persons, one of whom shall be at least 18 years of age. However, a boat that normally sails doublehanded may sail singlehanded in the doublehanded division and be scored in that division provided that 150 pounds of additional stationary ballast are carried *** on the center line, in such a manner that the roll nor pitch are substantially affected, and *** subject to Race Committee inspection if requested.

Angry Really? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Please be advised that the 2016 NOR/SSI's have be revised today 9/22/2016 to revision 3. The only change was a sentence added to Par 9. Entries (e).

To make this easy I have placed three asterisks in par (e) below. This is the only change in Rev 3.

e. A boat in a Doublehanded Division shall have a crew of two named persons, one of whom shall be at least 18 years of age. However, a boat that normally sails doublehanded may sail singlehanded in the doublehanded division and be scored in that division provided that 150 pounds of additional stationary ballast are carried *** on the center line, in such a manner that the roll nor pitch are substantially affected, and *** subject to Race Committee inspection if requested.

Really? Anyone actually believes this is a deciding factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Sailing Single-Handed in a double handed fleet is enough of an handicap (in my opinion). I remember the days in OYRA that single-handed boats got an extra 6 seconds over double-handed boats in the same division. It helped but it was still very hard to beat the double-handed boats compared to competing double-handed without the 6 seconds...

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Are you asking does weight matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Are you asking does weight matter ?
    Hmm, lets see. A true double handed crew has an extra ~150 lbs of 'movable' ballast, vs a single handed boat with no extra movable ballast. Weight matters, the double handed boat already has an advantage, oh, plus the ability to do boat handling and sail trimming much more effectively than a single handed boat. A single handed boat racing in the double handed division is already at a disadvantage.

Lets stop adding unnecessary rules.

Hmm, lets see. A true double handed crew has an extra ~150 lbs of 'movable' ballast, vs a single handed boat with no extra movable ballast. Weight matters, the double handed boat already has an advantage, oh, plus the ability to do boat handling and sail trimming much more effectively than a single handed boat. A single handed boat racing in the double handed division is already at a disadvantage. Lets stop adding unnecessary rules.
    The bigger question is, if the entire intent of SSS is to separate single handed racers from double handed racers, why do we allow a single handed racer to race in a double handed division at all? Well, we tried to accommodate for the last min crew cancel and it was taken advantage of.

I tire of this argument and if RC next year I intend to restrict single handed and double handed divisions. As the old saying goes “A lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on mine”

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    The bigger question is, if the entire intent of SSS is to separate single handed racers from double handed racers, why do we allow a single handed racer to race in a double handed division at all? Well, we tried to accommodate for the last min crew cancel and it was taken advantage of.

I tire of this argument and if RC next year I intend to restrict single handed and double handed divisions. As the old saying goes “A lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on mine”
    Its only "abused" if you think it is an advantage to race single handed in the double handed division. How is that an advantage again? Why does the RC care? With this argument, a fully crewed boat would be at a disadvantage over a double handed one? Funny how 1design classes have limits on max crew weight (not min). Clearly having more movable ballast is an advantage over less.

So I'm failing to see what problem or abuse we are trying to solve??