Thread: Single Side Band --- For Long Pac and Transpac Only

Default Single Side Band --- For Long Pac and Transpac Only

How light can one get and still have good reception/transmission with an SSB for LongPac and Transpac communications....also keeping the costs down given very limited use......

I am speaking about the whole package radio/antenna/grounding system.
    Again I am just interested in being able to participate in roll calls, I do not want a system for long distance cruising. It also would only be on the boat for very limited amounts of time so it could probably be a "non marine" product.......
    Thanks,
    Chris

Good question!

I have a Kenwood TKM-707 HF SSB transceiver with a Kenwood MAT-100 auto tuner that I used for the 2010 PacCup. I could part with them for a modest sum. I used a strip of copper from a salvage yard between the tuner and the keel bolts for the ground plane (about $30.00). I used a length of stranded wire for the antenna (about $5.00). It's a marine HF SSB transceiver and tuner with the necessary wires for connecting things.

Worked just fine for roll calls, a few other transmissions, and listening to weather. It won't work so well for GRIB files. It will also work on the amateur radio frequencies if you have the necessary license.

Pat broderic at sonic dot net

Vance Sprock is selling his Icom 802, tuner, etc. in Latitude 38's classifieds.

http://latitude38.com/classifieds/cl...lasso?cat=gear

While not the lightest possible unit, the 802's modular design enables installing the heavy box (about 10 lbs.) in the best (dry) place weight-wise. Then the control head/mic and speaker, which weigh very little, can be installed by your nav shelf. The 802 is Icom's best SSB designed for marine use (although it's an old design now). Mine has worked fine for 10+ years and three Hawaii trips. I use it with the KISS-SSB coil (instead of copper, etc.) and like Pat's unit, ham frequencies can be opened up with the right keystrokes (and license).

There are lighter-weight units out there but you'd probably need a drier boat than a J/88.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-20-2016 at 10:49 AM.

The nutella jar is empty after the Hawaii trip....although these seem like good options. I am still in fantasy world.....$400....and 4lb.......
    I may need to wait a bit...

Dry on a J/88......only if kept in a vacuum bag.

C