Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pelagic Autopilot - any experiences?

If you have to convert the signal the slowing is probably milliseconds - not a big deal - just extra cost.

My masthead "birdie" is a B&G 608. It forms the end of the boat's NMEA 2000 backbone so if the PCB fails (up at the top of the mast) the whole system can go down.

Go cheap - go simple!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    My masthead "birdie" is a B&G 608. It forms the end of the boat's NMEA 2000 backbone so if the PCB fails (up at the top of the mast) the whole system can go down.
    I'm just learning about NMEA 2000 networking, having installed the initial bits into Beetle to support a chart plotter. Do you carry a spare NMEA 2000 terminator/resistor to keep the network up if the masthead unit fails?

- rob/beetle

Yes. I tested it (replacing the masthead unit's plug) but not everything came back up. I'll get a pro involved soon, and that issue will be on the list.

Hello Paul, and the bird watchers here.
    The NMEA2000 wind sensor might have a very fast response time, maybe 10 readings per second. On the NMEA2000 (N2K) they may transmit the same data many more times per second than that. Wind data is typically heavily filtered (and this is often adjustable) because it bounces around so much with boat motion. This filtering slows the rate of meaningful wind data that is transmitted. A really high end sensor will do a more advanced form of filtering that results in a faster result. If your boat is a foiler, hitting speeds north of 20 knots, and you are blasting down the bay, on autopilot, you are are going to want that super fast data, to make decisions rapidly to stay on that foil. The last time I saw your boat I did not see any foils ? OK, when you put the wind sensor into a NMEA0183 converter it will only pass data through a couple times per second. On a typical boat, like my Olson 34, that is ok in terms of altering course with wind shifts. Going upwind, tight on the wind, you would prefer something quicker as a quick shift, that is slowed by say 2 to 3 seconds, accounting for NMEA delay and the sensor plus AP filtering, will maybe begin to stall the sail before the rudder accounts for the shift. Wind steering in a NMEA0183 system is not bad, but for the ultimate in response one really needs to get very fast instruments that are integrated well with the AP manufacturers system. These types of systems, the usual high vendors supply, really depend on using their proprietary instruments as they are all tuned and tested together during development. Maybe this helps ? BTW, the AC boats, and many ocean race boats place a wind sensor on a stern post so that off wind they sensor is not impacted by the sails turbulent flow. Also, makes for a good back up.

Brian

Here's what I'm getting at , there Is no recommended units that I know of ....

Love the idea of a stern Post ,,, no wire up the mast ! , also there isn't really any "top plate" on a cal20 mast head to screw anything to... so , more expensive equals faster response cheaper/ or units with converters equals slower response , guess im going to half to take a guess....

Somehow I've managed to not have wind instruments on any of my boats...... yet. Certainly don't see needing one on a Cal20.

Stern post works just fine off the breeze- pretty sure it was a conversation with Brian that steered me that way. I mounted a wireless transducer to a carbon pole for the last Pac cup and put its wireless readout under the boom. Same numbers as hardwired masthead unit. All Raymarine incl EV0 100 which did great. Still, Pelagic is my next purchase for my Express 27 as backup.
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 03-28-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Somehow I've managed to not have wind instruments on any of my boats...... yet. Certainly don't see needing one on a Cal20.
    Well , with 7 hours out to the SE farallon , I'd like to chill down below for 20 to 30 min while the palegic sails itself

The nifty remote is your new friend.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The nifty remote is your new friend.
    It’s true. I love my remote. Keep it on a lanyard, close to my heart. Seriously. It's the tiniest, flimsy thing. And when it stops working? I just replace the battery and it works again. Technology. Huh! That such a small thing can make big heavy Dura Mater change course.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.