Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pelagic Autopilot - any experiences?

Thanks for the videos. Very nice install job. I'd love to see the Pelagic handling your boat in 20-25 knots with the chute up. Let us know when you make that video.

Hi Andrew,
    Yes, I'm looking forward to that as well. This weekend for the initial testing I kept it to working sails as I get used to response times and using the remote control. Hopefully it will work as well in following seas and higher winds.
    The control head next to the companion way will eventually be recessed into the cabin once I get a box made so it will be flush with the cabin side and won't get snagged on lines. It was just mounted quickly for the testing.
    Best regards,
    Dave
    Last edited by Sailronin; 05-22-2017 at 04:42 PM.

I couldn't bring myself to cut another big hole in the boat so I mounted the Pelagic control box in the lower drop board. The board needs to fit tight and not vibrate.

Brian gave me a prototype bezel and it turned out pretty well. Now it looks like he has sexier off-white bezels on his website - maybe if I ask nicely he'll sell me one.

Name:  PelagicControl.JPG
Views: 1837
Size:  1.23 MB

Seeing this photo reminds me that I still need to scrape off that excess clear silicone. Oh and a minor quibble with Brian's new control box labels: "Standbye" ?
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-22-2017 at 06:27 PM.

I like that mounting Bob.
    I have old Signet gauges that are dead so need to put a piece of wood or G10 to fill those holes and will just mount the control on the new plate.

Control plate is "waterproof"?

I also have some extra bulkhead holes I can use.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Yes, the control box is waterproof so OK to mount outside.

Does anybody want to comment on control head placement, cable runs, and SSB tuner and antenna installation?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Hello all , I have the pelegic set up in my cal20 , I'd like to add an inexpensive wind indicator so that it can drive upwind and downwind during shifts...

So , is there an inexpensive head that incorporates into the pelegic easily ?

Thank you
    Paul Sutchek
    Cal20 1510 Sláinte

Brian can confirm, but my Pelagic accepted apparent wind data in generic NMEA 0183. So get a birdie that outputs that. If you get a Raymarine birdie like I had on Rags, you'll need something to convert the data from SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 first, and that adds to the cost and slows the signal.

Yes , Brian and pelegic mentioned the converter , I'm pretty new to sailing , never have bought a birdie before... I don't know which output what signals ,, I had found a solid state wind on Ebay , but I didn't know
    the converter would slow down the signal...

What unit do you have on your new boat Bob ?