Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pelagic Autopilot - any experiences?

There are some beta protocols with my unit re wind angle, but leaving that aside, my round downs were actually caused by sea state.
    most were in fact not in wind mode.
    100% were due to cross sea induced rig oscillation. And perhaps pushing a tad too hard.

The sequence would go something like this:
    heading roughly WSW surfing on large (15-18') storm driven swell train.
    leftover NW tradewind swell kicks stern to leeward
    AP corrects course, but rudder action induces rig oscillation leading to occasional pole plant.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 12-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Uh oh, we might be getting another call from the SHTP Marketing Dept.

From what he said last weekend I think Brian is playing with a heel factor in the gyro software - I assume both to leeward and in the "rig oscillation" direction. What a tactful term...

I have the urge to post a video but I'll give Bartz a break and not post his famous one. This one turned out better - the boat didn't end up on the bricks in front of the StFYC:

Archie 35 cockpit rinse.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-08-2016 at 01:25 PM.

That's why I didn't mention the accompanying a** pucker that is exponentially proportional to the amount of "rig oscillation". oops.

I am aware of that there are positive developments on the oscillation damping profile. yes, works in both directions
    essentially it is roll compensation effected with small rudder movements. Beta version working well from my understanding.

DH

In case anyone is wondering about it, we had no problem getting the Apparent Wind from a B&G Triton system talking NMEA 2000 to go through an Actisense converter to talk NMEA 0183 to the Pelagic controller.

Is anyone using something other than a Pelagic Controller to activate the Pelagic ram? Thinking of redundancy. Having 2 Pelagic rams and the ability to use a Pelagic controller and something like a B&G controller seems like a reasonable way to roll.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

I've used the Pelagic actuator (ram) for almost two years with my Raymarine X5 and more recently, Raymarine EV-200. I had to change the Raymarine's settings because the Pelagic ram responds differently - there's a discussion of this somewhere on this forum - but once you do that the B&G controller should drive it just fine. Whichever controller you have is just sending a plus or minus pulse to the ram anyway - on mine it wasn't using SeaTalk to talk to the ram.

Likewise, I've been using my Raymarine X5 control to drive the Pelagic ram for about a year and a half I think. I had to spend a lot of time tweaking the settings on the X5 after I sent it in for some sort of repair, but that was with the Raymarine ram. It's working pretty well now with either the Raymarine or Pelagic ram, except that it tacks rather slowly. I guess a little more tuning is in order.

If you tell the Raymarine the hardover time is 10-12 sec's (instead of 5 sec), the Pelagic ram will act more like the Raymarine ram and your tacks will be about right. With the EV-200 (not sure about the X5) you can't have a rudder reference in the system though, or changes to hardover time are ignored.

Understood about liking your boat. It's like looking at other women... and I better leave it at that.

and thanks for the tip.

I ordered a Pelagic system last week for my Olson 29. Have had good comms with Brian with lots of questions, patient man.
    Dave

I just finished installing the Pelagic autopilot on Ronin, my Olson29. Went in without a hitch and worked great this weekend. I've posted a video on YouTube look up Olson 29 Ronin for a quick look at the Pelagic in action.