Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olson911s "Elusive"

Unfortunately I started talking with Charlie last night after finding Elusive on that godforsaken website. We exchanged some emails and as a surprise a little while ago I learned from him that Norm Davant at Sail California picked up the boat this afternoon to list. Que lastima.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Well, you can still buy it. He is selling my boat. I doubt if the price will be much different than that listed at S/A.

I do not believe Charlie was straight with me when we started talking yesterday and then today. I think the boat had already been promised to Norm to list a while ago. So who knows the actual condition of the boat and the truth of other stuff he claimed. The dealer Norm may be a fine guy, but in my life and work honesty and complete disclosure so there is a level playing field/meeting of the minds in a friendship, deals and the like is paramount. Did not happen. Maybe its a Maui thing. Because of the above now have no interest in that boat nor enriching the prior owner. A good 911s still sounds like a good boat. Congrats on Temerity selling if the deal goes thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurney35Alani View Post
    I do not believe Charlie was straight with me when we started talking yesterday and then today. I think the boat had already been promised to Norm to list a while ago. So who knows the actual condition of the boat and the truth of other stuff he claimed. The dealer Norm may be a fine guy, but in my life and work honesty and complete disclosure so there is a level playing field/meeting of the minds in a friendship, deals and the like is paramount. Did not happen. Maybe its a Maui thing. Because of the above now have no interest in that boat nor enriching the prior owner. A good 911s still sounds like a good boat. Congrats on Temerity selling if the deal goes thru.
    If it's the right boat for the right price, go for it. Norm is a great guy with a reputation, he will tell you exactly what you will get with this boat. Better to deal with Norm than directly with the owner of the boat (as you already experienced).

Dirk

OTOH, I'd hate to see a good boat like this leave the Bay, especially a Schumacher boat. jamottep should take a look at it.

You're buying the boat, not the PO, and there's not much on these boats that can't be fixed. It will sell pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    You're buying the boat, not the PO,
    Yeah that is what the pre-purchase survey is for.

A broker can perform a useful function of turning an emotion-laden situation into a business transaction. You are exchanging money for some object you want.

Yup. All is true. And maybe it will be available for over night sleeps when you are over here. . . . Silver lining ya know. Thanks for all the ideas, info and comments. Elusive is not yet listed on Norm's brokerage site. I sent him an email and will see what he says about his wants/needs and ambitions. Pleasant weekend wishes to all.

I missed buying O-34 Culebra when she was for sale. She was on the sales dock for only a single weekend. My boat is essentially sold after about a month. Just sayin'.

I think the Nesbits' RAZZBERRIES sold pretty quickly too, and it hadn't been sailed in awhile.

Was that when Paul bought CULEBRA or did he sell it after the SHTP (etc.) and I wasn't aware of it? CULEBRA is a nice one - carbon mast, beefed up keel, etc.

Especially here on the West Coast, only the doggy J/92's appear on the brokerage market. Owners sell the nicer ones directly.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-08-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Yes that was when Paul snapped up Culebra. He got a super good deal. Razz was put on the market at a quick-sell price of $30k. Ouch. I bought my boat a few months after the Cuelbra sale, which was a few months before the stock market crash, which also had the effect of crashing the used sailboat market. I had decided that the O-34 was the right boat for my (then perceived) needs, so I approached the owner of OZONE (now Temerity) for a private sale, and paid a fairly premium price.

Unlike the stock market, the used boat market never really came back, at least for boats >15 years old.