Thread: 3D Print Fiberglass/carbon fab - making parts with printed shells ?

Default 3D Print Fiberglass/carbon fab - making parts with printed shells ?

To whom it may concern,
    Anyone been experimenting with the use of low cost 3D printed shells to be used in conjunction wet lay up fiberglass or carbon ? The low cost printed objects could be used as a shell to define the shape of an object and strength added with wet layup within and on top of the shell. WOndering if any of the fabricators among us have used a technique like this ?
    Brian

Hi Brian,

I used this technique when I made the first prototypes of the parts of the bowsprits.
    In some cases I used the 3D printed parts for creating female molds and in other instances I layed the CF over the part.
    I would be glad to share my experience.

Henry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Henry, I am betting that tube was done in a mold ? So I am making brackets that connect to actuators that drive a few lbs of load. I have been prototyping it all with 3D prints. Quotes on low volume quantities are a bit ridiculous. CF 3D prints, while fun, are too high as well. I am thinking of making the bracket in PLA plastic with a lattice of holes. Also some small walls on the edges to contain the epoxy and CF. The lattice would "absorb" epoxy. One side of the bracket would have the CF layup within the walls. I would then wrap it all in release cloth and absorbent and vacuum bag the part. I hope that makes some sense. These parts don't carry much load so I am certain a single layer of standard two directional CF should do the job. The 3D printed part would at least have one side that looks nice, while the CF side will likely be a little rough. I hope this makes some sense. Thanks for making any suggestions.
    Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I can help you with that - the best would be if you could show me what you got and go from there.
    Perhaps, we could meet, I live close to you in the South Bay.

Cheers,
    Henry

Hi Henry, that would be great. I will email you directly and we can arrange something.

Brian

Hi Henry,

I tried you Trogear address and it bounced.

Brian